Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Accounts

BlaqkAngelBlaqkAngel Member Posts: 10
edited September 2013 in Suggestions
I think I speak for all Cookie Clickers when I say that I would hate it if I lost all of my progress in this game. So, as the title suggests, I think it'd be great to have our own accounts! Maybe even link them to these?

Pros:
- More security for our progress
- Access to our progress from different devices
- Perhaps a sort of customization

Cons:
- More work for Orteil
- Slightly takes away from the casual feel of the game

So what does everyone think?

Comments

• atheistcanuckatheistcanuck Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    it would put a lot of strain on Orteil's poor server.
  • KainbloxKainblox Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I'd say only if they were optional.

I'd rather not have to sign up to play an idle game.
  • OptiOpti Administrator, Game Dev, Server Operator Posts: 699 Admin
    I agree that it would be nice, but implementing accounts is a huge task. If anything, this would be something to go along with leaderboards if they are added.
  • bryfurybryfury Member Posts: 135
    i say if you are going to do something like this, do it later, when half the world wants your cookie game, right now, the codes work fine, i tend to write the code in my stash in my deviantart, and i can play my game somewhere else, thn back at my computer again, there are many ways to do this.

so again, go step by step, i know your game is awesome, but don't over-exceed yourself, you will get to the top orteil, one step at a time.
    - Remember the past, plan for the future, but live for today, because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come -

check my drawings and my map guide of the ''MLP RPG Elements of Harmony'' game here: bryfury.deviantart.com/
  • CalamityCalamity Member, Friendly Posts: 15,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a fine idea :]

• ______ Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    I think a notepad document using the export-save system saved serverside that's tied with your forum account would be a neat back-up system, but I don't really see it as a necessity.
  • BmorecraftyBmorecrafty Member Posts: 5
    More work for Orteil? More than he already has?
    And if they are optional it's not taking away the casual feel of the game much, Also Orteil can tell us how popular the game is, i remember he said 200,000 visitors a day, and that wasn't even at it's most popular. So i think it could have a million players. maybe more. Really want to know how many people are clicking the cookie. :)

Also i am going to make a TD game. Like now. Someone tell me where i can put it when i am done and i will post progress on the forums. :D
  • BobBob Member Posts: 283 ✭✭
    It would be nice, but that's a LOT of work. Like, way more than he likely ever thought he'd have when he started cookie clicker. Not that it's not already larger..
  • Arbitrary007Arbitrary007 Member Posts: 207
    The Export function is more than enough for me. Save your export line to a file and stash it away safely. Put it on a USB drive if need be, but there's got to be a point where you feel the need to do something yourself than rely upon Orteil to walk you everywhere by the hand.
  • BobBob Member Posts: 283 ✭✭

The Export function is more than enough for me. Save your export line to a file and stash it away safely. Put it on a USB drive if need be, but there's got to be a point where you feel the need to do something yourself than rely upon Orteil to walk you everywhere by the hand.

I believe he means server based accounts. But yes, that is definitely a good option.

• Arbitrary007Arbitrary007 Member Posts: 207
    It goes back to a number of different things, though. Making accounts that are kept on server is a big undertaking. Bmorecrafty asked properly with the "More [work] than he already has?"
  • greydragon412greydragon412 Member, Conversationalist Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe accounts could be a paid for service for people that really want them, so that the server cost is paid for. It would also be nice to be able to see a total of how many cookies people have clicked total on the server.
  • SinbadEVSinbadEV Member Posts: 234
    I made this suggestion in a new thread but it looks like it should be here.

Google Play Game Services

https://developers.google.com/games/services/

https://developers.google.com/games/services/web/gettingstarted - web specific info here

Would provide infrastructure for leaderboards, public achievements, Google+ sign in and cloud-saving... and in the future syncing between Web and Android/iOS
  • OptiOpti Administrator, Game Dev, Server Operator Posts: 699 Admin
    @SinbadEV
    I've shown this to Orteil when I saw the thread you posted, and it could prove very helpful for us especially for the Android app.