Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Random Song Maker

danwpradenasdanwpradenas Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone! First post here :D

I just made a very fun tool for composing music with the awesome random generator. It's quite basic because I learned to use it while I was making it (that shows how easy and powerful the generator is, thanks for making it!).

It sets some basic (or not so, but anyway) parameters for composing:
Speed, mood (quite subjective but inspiring, i hope), time signature, musical materials to use and amount of notes. The only problem I could not solve was the note picking thing, and I solved it temporarily providing a link to a page I found, which allows you to select the amount of notes and the notes you want to randomize, as well as a timer function to automatically randomize.

(I was going to put the links in here but couldn't because I just signed up, here are the pastebin codes for the gen):

Random Song Maker in English:
vcvgRjJt

Random Song Maker in Spanish:
MuiKj71P

And google the "Random Note Picker" from Bret Pimentel, you'll find it right away.

Anyway, I was thinking how to make a reduced version of Bret's note picker inside the generator so there's no need to use that tool (which isn't that bothering, after all), but I still couldn't think a solution for it. If anyone could point me in some direction regarding this subject, it would be awesome!
What I need is to:

Randomly pick between 3 and 12 notes, non repeating, represented with letters from A to G, for the sake of simplicity (avoiding enharmonics) with one sharp: F# and four flats: Bb, Eb, Ab, Db. In total: seven notes and five accidentals = 12 notes. The chromatic sequence in order looks like this:
C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, Bb, B.

Some examples from Bret's Note picker:

3 notes:
E Bb D

7 notes:
F♯ C A♭ G E♭ B E

12 notes:
F A G C B E♭ E D♭ A♭ D F♯ B♭

Thanks in advance to everyone, I hope you enjoy the generator and make some cool music ;)
Greetings and have a nice weekend!

Comments

• ViniVini Member Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dat flag
    I'm far from a song writer, but this is the first time (that I can remember, at least) I see someone come up with a generator like that, and it sounds very interesting. Good job!

• danwpradenasdanwpradenas Member Posts: 3
    Hahaha, I'm still trying to figure out what makes this post "spam", but whatever, maybe I should take it as a compliment.
    Thanks Vini, if you ever get to play with it I would really like to hear :)
    Also I was thinking of making more generators like this (I'm tempted to call these "games"), with different rules and ideas for more kinds of musicians and artists. Composing or creating anything (from art to whatever thing you can think of) can be quite intense and frustrating if you don't know how to set some initial boundaries so you don't get overwhelmed with the infinite vastness of resources there are (it happens to me a lot hehe).
    I have been looking for random generators made for musicians but there are few options, most, if not all of them, geared towards technical practice and improvisation (chord progressions and random note pickers).
    Anyway, thanks again for the response and have a nice week!
    Any ideas, comments or critics are welcome!