Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

What effect does leveling up Wizard towers actually have on the minigame? Any?

MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 171 ✭✭
I know each level increases cookie yield by 1% but does it do anything to affect either mana level or regen speed?

Best Answers

Answers

• blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    So is there any point to having a high amount of mana beyond the minimum to cast all the spells you need?

For example, you need a minimum of 25 mana to cast FtHoF. Easy. Now say you want to also cast SE now and again, requiring 400 Wizard Towers to not waste it. That leaves you with 90 mana at level 1 Towers. At this point, FtHoF costs 64 mana.

So, is the increased mana regen you get at higher max mana enough to counteract the extra time it takes to regenerate the mana needed to cast?
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

So is there any point to having a high amount of mana beyond the minimum to cast all the spells you need?

For example, you need a minimum of 25 mana to cast FtHoF. Easy. Now say you want to also cast SE now and again, requiring 400 Wizard Towers to not waste it. That leaves you with 90 mana at level 1 Towers. At this point, FtHoF costs 64 mana.

So, is the increased mana regen you get at higher max mana enough to counteract the extra time it takes to regenerate the mana needed to cast?

I'm not sure. I've tried to figure out the differential equation from the code, but to no success.
    So I decided to just record the time it took to recharge the spell casts.

FtHoF needs a minimum mana of 23 to be cast (it unexpectedly rounds down) and takes 26m36s to fully recharge mana for a second cast. This requires 21 level 1 Wizard Towers.

At 400 level 1 Wizard Towers, FtHoF needs 64 mana to be cast but the maximum mana is 90. Casting FtHoF at full mana recharges back to full mana in only 24m22 seconds.

This is the optimal way to cast FtHoF at 90 mana, as casting it at less than full mana will result in a higher percentage of mana being regenerated at a lesser rate.

However, at 150 mana (1414 level 1 Wizard Towers) it took 35m13s to regenerate the 100 mana required to cast FtHoF at a full mana bar, nearly 9 minutes longer than having only the minimum required mana to cast. This means that at some amount of maximum mana between 90 and 150, the benefits of having higher than the minimum required mana to cast FtHoF are obsolete.

This leaves me with more questions:

At what amount of maximum mana will the mana regen "break even" and equal the time it takes with the minimum mana to cast some spell?

What amount of mana will result in the fastest mana regen from a full mana bar after casting some spell?
  • NamliamNamliam Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I can't answer your final question, but I can simply add that I've been using Spontaneous Edifice for about 2 months now and at 400 WT at level 1, mana sits at 99 max with 94 for the spell. It takes roughly 42 minutes to regenerate to full mana at that level.
    That is very interesting. Are you playing on version 2.0042? I have 400 level 1 Wizard Towers as well but only 90 maximum mana with Spontaneous Edifice costing 87 mana.
    For some more context on how level impacts mana:

If you have 1 WT, you have, for levels 1 through 10 respectively, 5, 13, 18, 21, 24, 27, 29, 31, 32, and 34 mana.

If you have 100 WTs, you have, for the same levels respectively, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, and 59 mana.

If you have 400 WTs, you have, for the same, 90, 90, 90, 91, 91, 91, 92, 92, 92, and 93 mana.

If you have (as I do) 509 WTs, you have, for the same, 99, 99, 99, 100, 100, 100, 101, 101, 101, and 101 mana.
    Sorry, I was mistaken. I also have 509 WTs, thus the 99 mana. I've found this to be the best way to play given my current progress in the game.
  • Asbestos_Free_CookieAsbestos_Free_Cookie Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited February 10

So I decided to just record the time it took to recharge the spell casts.

FtHoF needs a minimum mana of 23 to be cast (it unexpectedly rounds down) and takes 26m36s to fully recharge mana for a second cast. This requires 21 level 1 Wizard Towers.

At 400 level 1 Wizard Towers, FtHoF needs 64 mana to be cast but the maximum mana is 90. Casting FtHoF at full mana recharges back to full mana in only 24m22 seconds.

This is the optimal way to cast FtHoF at 90 mana, as casting it at less than full mana will result in a higher percentage of mana being regenerated at a lesser rate.

However, at 150 mana (1414 level 1 Wizard Towers) it took 35m13s to regenerate the 100 mana required to cast FtHoF at a full mana bar, nearly 9 minutes longer than having only the minimum required mana to cast. This means that at some amount of maximum mana between 90 and 150, the benefits of having higher than the minimum required mana to cast FtHoF are obsolete.

This leaves me with more questions:

At what amount of maximum mana will the mana regen "break even" and equal the time it takes with the minimum mana to cast some spell?

What amount of mana will result in the fastest mana regen from a full mana bar after casting some spell?

Well that's annoying. I might drag my feet on leveling up my wizard towers, even if no mini games get added.
    I guess I'm not smart enough to make your spreadsheet work. More detailed instructions would be great if you don't mind. :)
    Copy and paste that formula into any cell other than B9 or I31. (Like I said, I only guarantee it for OpenOffice 3.3.0. In particular, I do not guarantee that it will work for Excel or Google Docs spreadsheets.) Put the number of Wizard towers into B9. Put their level in I31. The formula will then give you how much magic you will have.
    Thanks! I thought that's what I did, but it didn't work last night. Worked today. I can see that at level 10 (to get the achievement), my current level of WTs (507) will increase mana to 101. Not much difference from 99.
    Yeah. At high numbers of Wizard towers, levels have a minimal impact.
    That's exactly why I'm leveling my buildings based on CpS gain, so Chancemakers, then ACs, then Prisms, etc.

That's exactly why I'm leveling my buildings based on CpS gain, so Chancemakers, then ACs, then Prisms, etc.

I'd at least get everything at level 1 first, so that you have the minigames unlocked when those are eventually added.

Personally I'm leveling evenly, primarily as future-proofing. (For instance, if there are heavenly upgrades for the minigames that only show up when the buildings in question are at a certain level--I could definitely see that for the Pantheon since level has no impact on that minigame--or if future minigames are more positively impacted by building level.)

Plus then I get the rush of getting 15 achievements all at once. (Two years in the future, but hey, nothing wrong with delayed gratification.)
    That is a good idea, but I like the slow but consistent reward for getting a single building to level 10 at a time. When future minigames do drop, I don't have much of a problem waiting a day at most to get access to it.

That does sound really satisfying actually, good luck sticking with it! I could never even try that, I know I won't still be playing this game 2 years down the road.
    You might have to wait a day to get access to it, but let's say that there are heavenly upgrades for the minigames which only unlock when you get their buildings to, say, level 5. I get those immediately (all my buildings are level 5), whereas you'd have to wait for two weeks.
    If there were any reasons to think features like that are coming any time soon then I may have to reconsider. As of now I see no need to prepare for such a scenario, especially since not a single heavenly upgrade has any prerequisites besides a specific prestige level and number of heavenly chips to purchase it.
    And I don't think there was any precedent for the upgrades that required specific properties of your prestige level; that didn't stop them from being added.