Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Discussion about posts and points

ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,021Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod
edited March 6 in Off Topic
Since we had a little attempt to start a discussion on activity, which is just spam-y by now, let's actually talk about it.

When do you think a post should not get points and when should it?
Is it wrong to awesome a post that you like just because an agree would be a more fitting reaction or the other way around?

Discuss.

I especially invite those who participated in activity already:
@Uiomancant @Brainstorm @DoomlordKravoka @Vini @Billabo @Carmory

Related but actually Off-topic:

Cool cool. now do something about prolific multiposters/bumpers and get 52 promotes.

I just have to answer that: I do exactly that, my friend. I also get rid of spam comments/accounts and false reactions.
Do you see that? No. Do you give me points for that? No. A promote? Nope.But I earn tons of hate and jealousy when i get rewarded wit a custom role or for being allowed to use special characters in my username (just as anyone on the all time leaders, btw). So, I had to laugh quite hard about that comment, because the actual work here is not rewarded by the users.
"You hit the box with maniklas, OMG, IT OPENS! Wait, that was maniklas, wrong side."~brainstorm
"Please respect the Rules. You can look them up at any time:
Rules for Off-Topic Section | Rules for Playground | Rules for Cookie Clicker Section"~me
Post edited by Chisako on

Comments

• AgubhaguAgubhagu Posts: 543Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 7
    *warning : someone's opinion ahead*
    I think that a post should get an " Awesome" if you think that the post itself is (really) awesome, what it's promoting, the act( action) itself, and things like that( if it's awesome).
    A post should get an " Agree" if you.. well, agree with it. But, not every post you agree with should get an " Agree". Shortly said, you should be somewhat conservative with clicking on " Agree".
    If you already like a post, " Agree" probably isn't a more fitting reaction.

Post edited by Agubhagu on
    eventually TM
    sarcasm is the best thing since the last best thing*
    """My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse" - Purge
    *sarcasm
  • BillaboBillabo Posts: 1,024Member, Friendly, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't actually participating; I was just trying to make a joke off of what DoomLordKravoka said. I agree with Tellurium, though "Awesome" is also used for posts that are funny but not necessarily awesome, and I think that's fine.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • UiomancantUiomancant Posts: 9,189Member, Cool, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6
    Like, all you did was remove a post and told them not to do it again. A slap on the hand.
    It had 3 agrees and 2 awesomes (one person retracted theirs)
    I wanted to know why these people did this.

"But I earn tons of hate and jealousy when i get rewarded wit a custom role or for being allowed to use special characters in my username"
    I didn't see anyone complain. What was your point here?

"because the actual work here is not rewarded by the users."
    And the users shouldn't reward mods. It's like paying the police for stopping somebody stealing a bar of chocolate.

I mean, I thought it quite obvious using "Cool cool" at the start of a sentence was quite obviously not something to take seriously. The whole promotes thing was pointing out that if you got that many points for something simple, you could get tons more doing something impressive.

Edit: wanted to answer the when should posts get points
    A post should be awesomed when they totally sparky on a game and do something incredibly hard/annoying, like what he did with fnaf.
    But it shouldn't when somebody got like, a nice amount of reactions on the forum. seriously. Why do people care that you have 123 disagrees.

Agree should just be something you think is greatly worded, something you wanted to convey but couldn't or something you strongly agree with. But not something like:
    "I don't agree with [topic] cause I think it's pointless'

• ViniVini Posts: 2,007Member ✭✭✭✭
    The whole of my participation on that activity post was ^
    Want to see me do it again? ^

Wait. This is a direct invitation from a mod.
    O dam. Maybe I oughta elaborate a tad more.

Okay, so my ^ was in response to Carmory:
    y'know, its the point flu
    1 person agrees...
    and it spreads

And I agree with it, somewhat.
    See, there's this post by this person you like. Or adore. Or tolerate. Whatever it is, you read it. But don't give it a reaction.
    Maybe you didn't give it any thought. Maybe you decided it wasn't exactly deserving of one. Maybe you forgot those exist. /guilt
    But you left it pointless. Or is it? 'Cause if it had a reaction, (a positive one, of course) you'd most likely notice it. Look at that cute little number. Wouldn't you love it if it got bigger? This forum was created because of an incremental game, after all. You must like them a bit.
    And the author of the post would be "rewarded" for it. While you yourself aren't getting anything out of it but the satisfaction of seeing numbers growing, someone is making very real progress. On what, you ask? ... A mostly irrelevant scoreboard...?
    Well, so what? If you do think it's basically meaningless, it shouldn't bother you either way. If you don't, then you can sympathize with that person.
    And let's not forget that there's ironic value in 'Agree'ing to certain posts. Some might find the fact funny, who knows?

When do you think a post should not get points and when should it?

Well, that's a good one, actually. I didn't really cover the "whodunnitfirst" on my text wall up there, did I? Let's think about what disqualifies a post from getting points.
    When... Um... You think it's stupid? You think it just doesn't deserve it? You think it's (doIreallyhavetosayitokay) literally pointless, and should stay that way?
    Maybe I'm falling at looking from all the angles here, but seems to me it comes down to personal reasons. And we all know what happens when somebody tries to take their opinions as facts. Especially when said opinion is less than correct.

Is it wrong to awesome a post that you like just because an agree would be a more fitting reaction or the other way around?

Was that ever a problem? When I can't decide what reaction to give, but know that I'm going to give one, I choose the one the person has the fewest.
    A very wise human figured that would be the best course of action, ans this method was indirectly taught to me by @kirdneh.
    So I like to think it is not wrong at all.

because the actual work here is not rewarded by the users.

Not like mankind has a habit of praising the hardworking and the noble. It's only when people fail to perform their duty that we care.
    Sad? Yeah. Infuriating? Maybe. Happens? All the time.

• CarmoryCarmory Posts: 2,742Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭
    what I made like one thing there a semi shitpost

Anyway, if I think a post is awesome I awesome, if I agree with the posteerian, I agree preetyy dimples really nice >:]
    My friend: Gavin
    "That Carmory agree is so Carmor-y." ~vini waifu arc
  • AgubhaguAgubhagu Posts: 543Member ✭✭✭

Like, all you did was remove a post and told them not to do it again. A slap on the hand.
    It had 3 agrees and 2 awesomes (one person retracted theirs)
    I wanted to know why these people did this.

shortly said, it's because people want to show appreciation. Chisako isn't obliged to be a moderator. people are showing appreciation for Chisako still being a moderator, even though he doesn't need to be. does a post like that truly deserve points ? well, maybe. but this is a different case. a few points for a ( volunteer) moderators work surely isn't unfair.

eventually TM
    sarcasm is the best thing since the last best thing*
    """My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse" - Purge
    *sarcasm
  • ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,021Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod

What was your point here?

You apparently didn't see some comments, let alone my inbox of course. "Tons of" was an overreaction pretty much, I admit, but at some people actually commented about it negatively and not just once or only recently.
    My whole point was "I get negative reactions all the time (talking about words, not forum reactions), so what's the big deal when i get some agrees for something that objectively can be agreed on?"

"because the actual work here is not rewarded by the users."
    And the users shouldn't reward mods. [...]
    I mean, I thought it quite obvious using "Cool cool" at the start of a sentence was quite obviously not something to take seriously.

I will keep that in mind the next time you put effort into something, because that shouldn't be rewarded either by that logic. And no, it didn't look like a joke to me. The way you commented could be taken serious as well.

Also look at activity now. Me doing what I'm supposed to do, and getting a handful of agrees is bad according to you but someone posting a movie trailer or a spongebob related image which isn't even funny, imo (which also is not even their own work) gets points as well, but you had to point it out when I got points, that's the whole reason I addressed that comment in the first place.
    To me it looks like you try to hate on me for the sake of hating (which is what I count as negative reactions) and you wonder why I don't take your comment as a joke actually?

But look at me, it looks like I'm butt hurt, which I'm not. You wondered why my post gets points and I answer with another question: why is it a problem? There are posts without effort that get points as well. Additionally I elaborated how things are from my point of view.

That's why think that reactions should just be given when you feel like it.
    "You hit the box with maniklas, OMG, IT OPENS! Wait, that was maniklas, wrong side."~brainstorm
    "Please respect the Rules. You can look them up at any time:
    Rules for Off-Topic Section | Rules for Playground | Rules for Cookie Clicker Section"~me
  • BrainstormBrainstorm Posts: 5,953Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just very simple, a mod usually does lots of good stuff, just imagine a mod as a celebrity of this Hollywood we call "the forums", all celebrities get likes for any post they make, because they have done many things to reach where they are now.
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm
    "You, young man, have increased the troll count by 1, troll thread count by 1, and countless other count counter counts by 1." -Brainstorm
    "We now have a perfect excuse to necrobump forum games." -Brainstorm
    I wonder what this is! Only the most epic link EVER! :o
    Pastebin statpage for Dungeon Maker: http://pastebin.com/mdPqPQVv