Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.
⚠️ The DashNet forums will be shut down on September 12th 2019.⚠️

Please see here for more information.

Duolingo

DarkmatterfireDarkmatterfire Posts: 4,375Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Off Topic
Me and a few others have been learning languages on slack. (Mainly Luri, Chisy, and Darth.)
You guys should join too. :P
https://www.duolingo.com/

Also, here's my profile.

I got tons of EXP today which is something.

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 175Member ✭✭✭
    i go on the internet during school to avoid school
    "when you're convinced that you suck, you're pretty much just going to keep sucking.
    if you believe that you can not suck, that's when you can really make some progress.
    that's what i think anyway" ~Tellurium
  • DoomlordKravokaDoomlordKravoka Posts: 3,374Member, Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using it to learn spanish.
  • BillaboBillabo Posts: 1,323Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Mod
    edited June 2016
    I just started using it for German. Someone took Billabo already. :( That's what I get for being so late to pick it up, I guess. So I'm Billabo1.

I would have done French since my mom is half French and we have gone to France to visit relatives, but I want to live in--or at least visit--Germany at some point because of reasons. ofc there's no reason I can't do both, but I'm focusing on German. I just do a quick lesson after work every day.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • ChisakoChisako Posts: 1,034Moderator, Helpful, Cool, Conversationalist, Funny, Cake Mod
    @Billabo you should consider joining slack for that matter
    we have a duolingo channel and we have native germans there (mostly me) and at least two active learners with great progression in the past three months that could help you out with things that are not or not good enough explained in duo.
    You want your ad here?
    Call 555-NOPE
    Thanks, maybe I will do that. I actually did get on Slack last night, but it was pretty late and empty.
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,359Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    edited June 2016
    I've gotten to the point in German where I can actually understand quite a lot of the written language. I could probably manage to read most of a German book for very young kids with the help of a dictionary... probably. I still can't really write anything more complex than "Darf ich dir helfen?" though; writing is a lot harder than reading.

I'm also learning some Spanish on the side, and I plan to try out French as well. My reason for selecting these is that they seem to be the the most "popular" languages so they would be the most useful to learn (also German first because people in this community are German and DMF/Bacon is also learning German). My reason for learning languages in the first place is that I think it's an interesting experience, it can be useful, and I learn some things about English and languages in general which is really interesting.

I'm only learning written languages and not spoken, because I just can't be bothered with pronunciation. :p As a result I can't understand a single word of spoken German despite being able to read a fair amount.

For serious learning I highly recommend using wordreference or a similar dictionary in conjunction with Duolingo. Duo doesn't always give the most clear definitions and the comments aren't always reliable for clarification. If I can't find an answer to my question about a word in any of those places, I ask Chisako. :P

Also Anki which is a fantastic tool for word memorization. I remember words so much easier by using that, though it sure takes a while to figure out the best translations for some words and build my whole deck up.
    Billabo said:

Thanks, maybe I will do that. I actually did get on Slack last night, but it was pretty late and empty.

I just realized I confused Slack with Discord lol
    08619-69569
    56318-03154