Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Tulpa Thread? Tulpa Thread.

ManthorManthor Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
So since I have been dead for a while, I decided to make my return with a tulpa thread!
So I just found out that there was a thing called "Tulpamancy." I was wondering if anyone actually dabbled in it? Or have any personal experiences? Basically, anything tulpa.

I have only one rule for this thread:
Don't post that one 4chan /x/ Pinkie Pie tulpa thread, where it becomes deformed and is constantly screaming at OP. I think everyone has seen that at one point.

Other 4chan posts are welcome, no repeats.
Personal experiences are welcome.
Advice is welcome.
I Am Manthor, a man of curiosity and unquestionable weirdness
My Music: forum.dashnet.org/discussion/12318/music-ive-made#latest

Hey now I have a Trove fourms account:forums.trovegame.com/member.php?21571294-Manthor

Comments

• Zonoro13Zonoro13 Member, Cool, Flagger, Conversationalist Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One time, I looked up what a tulpa was. I learned that I didn't know what the hell it is.
    "Yahoo, I got sigged!" ~Idler | RIP Alot. 2015-2015. Was ran over by his crush in a bus. It was so freaky because it really worked." ~Luri | "In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." ~Terry Pratchett | "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Terry Pratchett"
  • TelluriumTellurium Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Posts: 5,382 Mod
    @Cookiefanclub has told me he has a tulpa. The idea of them sounds pretty damn cool to me.
  • KarlolinKarlolin Member Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea of a sentient imaginary friend is kinda cool, yes, but I don't think I want one.
    i shouldnt even be alive at this point
    but i am
  • Jarr2003Jarr2003 Member Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @Chaotic_Neutral mentioned he has a tulpa once, but I think he later edited that out of his post.

Anyways, I have 2.
    "its like every 5 AS you require 10x more souls." -uiomancant
    Dashnet Plays NationStates: Play now! Please...
    Karlolin said:

The idea of a sentient imaginary friend is kinda cool, yes, but I don't think I want one.

Actually, the more I think of it the more ridiculous it seems.
    but i am
  • BurntCookieBurntCookie Member, Internet Detective, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the fuck is a tulpa?
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • greydragon412greydragon412 Member, Conversationalist Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    Evanna says hi.
  • ShylightShylight Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Posts: 6,452 Mod
    Zonoro13 said:

One time, I looked up what a tulpa was. I learned that I didn't know what the hell it is.

What the fuck is a tulpa?

Imaginary friend taken to a new level/self-induced schizophrenia.
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
  • CookiefanclubCookiefanclub Member, Friendly Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Tellurium said:

@Cookiefanclub has told me he has a tulpa. The idea of them sounds pretty damn cool to me.

Yup, my tulpa is a female pegasus named Mist Whisper. She's past two years old now, though in terms of physical age she's around the same age as me. She loves spending time with others and having fun, but she doesn't really have any personal hobbies. I enjoy having her around to support me, though.
    I have two other tulpae, but I don't focus on them as much. They just pop in whenever they feel like it.

To describe what it's like having a tulpa, "sentient imaginary friend" works fine as a basic definition for it, but the important part is that they are 100% real. They can think independently, and can do things without you telling them to. Yes, obviously they can't handle physical objects or become visible to other people (Unless you tell them what your tulpa looks like, of course), but the only thing that separates them from other friends is the fact that they can only directly interact with you. A tulpa is never "not real", it's just "not physical". You don't just think that your tulpa exists; you know it. A common way to test your tulpa's sentience is to tell them to surprise you. I tried it with Mist and she responded by completely vanishing, making me think I had lost her until I realized that it was a trick. :P
    Also, there's always going to be a little bit of your personality in your tulpa. After all, they are still a part of your mind, even though you and them are not the same person. One could say they're kind of like a hidden branch of your personality. For example, Mist's behavior seems to represent my feminine side, and she's probably close to how I would act if I was a girl.

Here's a picture of Mist Whisper, drawn by an artist called GodOfSteak:

• DoomlordKravokaDoomlordKravoka Member, Wiener Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't like the idea of creating a tupa because it sounds impractical for your sanity in the long run and I'm the kind of person whose imaginary constructs are frequently corrupted into satanic gibberish.
  • UiomancantUiomancant Member, Cool, Flagger Posts: 9,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still confused.

100% real contradicts "Not physical"

like, HARD

if its not physical, then you're imagining it.
    What's a sig btw

I'm still confused.

like, HARD

That's some fucking hard imagination, too.
    It's like sense bending yourself to say that your senses (sight, hearing, etc.) aren't telling the truth and that there is more to sense around you.
    I'd question if I were insane if I got a tulpa.
    but i am
  • CookiefanclubCookiefanclub Member, Friendly Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Distinguishing the meanings of "real" and "physical" is important if you want to have a tulpa. For example, if you are forming a theory in your head that cannot be tested in the physical world, is there really any way to prove that your theory is fake? I mean, it's still possible that it could not be true, but it is impossible to find evidence to support or oppose it, so there's no way to be sure. In the meantime, said theory must continue to exist, or else you would have never even created it in the first place.
    Things you imagine don't exist in the physical world, but they will always be real within your mind. It's your job to choose what you want to do with them.

Distinguishing the meanings of "real" and "physical" is important if you want to have a tulpa. For example, if you are forming a theory in your head that cannot be tested in the physical world, is there really any way to prove that your theory is fake? I mean, it's still possible that it could not be true, but it is impossible to find evidence to support or oppose it, so there's no way to be sure. In the meantime, said theory must continue to exist, or else you would have never even created it in the first place.
    Things you imagine don't exist in the physical world, but they will always be real within your mind. It's your job to choose what you want to do with them.

Aand it makes even less sense.
    What's a sig btw
  • BurntCookieBurntCookie Member, Internet Detective, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. Tulpas don't really make much sense to me, and it sounds like some kind of thing you'd have if you were insane. I don't want to hurt anyone, but I can't understand it.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    So theres no difference between a tulpa and an imaginary friend? Both are harmless delusions that the person who created them thinks is real.
    "Yahoo, I got sigged!" ~Idler | RIP Alot. 2015-2015. Was ran over by his crush in a bus. It was so freaky because it really worked." ~Luri | "In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." ~Terry Pratchett | "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Terry Pratchett"
    Whether or not they are actually alive really just comes down to opinion. There is no way to prove it either way, and whether or not it sounds like self-induced sanity comes down to opinion. But at the same time, I think there is enough people with tulpas that it is possible that it is real. Plus, I've heard of things like full on allowing your tulpa to take over your body, and I don't think someone could just "imagine" that, if they aren't just making it up. But whether or not you believe these things is your opinion, and it might never be possible to prove it one way or the other.

I'm still confused.

like, HARD

I wouldn't say that. Just because you can't theoretically touch something doesn't mean it isn't actually there. For example, say someday there is Artificial Intelligence that is practically human, but that AI isn't technically physical. Yes, it could theoretically take over a robot body, but it still isn't technically physical. Plus, can we even say our own minds are physical? Yes, we can touch things, but can you actually see what someone else is thinking? They might give clues about what they are thinking through body language, but you can't actually see or touch someone's mind. Thus, even our own minds aren't technically physical, meaning your logic is flawed. This entire subject is a weird topic to debate, because there is no right answer, because each answer could be right, but we have no way to prove it.
    Zonoro13 said:

So theres no difference between a tulpa and an imaginary friend? Both are harmless delusions that the person who created them thinks is real.

There is some of a difference. Tulpas, supposedly, are sentient, while an imaginary friend is just a delusion. But, it is possible for an imaginary friend to become a tulpa. But, due to how all of this comes down to opinion, nobody can say for sure if there is actually a difference in the end.
    There is no way that something is sentient and can only be seen and affect one person.
    Because that one person would have to block off part of their mind, and pretend like it was sentient, and not just another part of their mind.
    What's a sig btw
    Jarr2003 said:

Zonoro13 said:

There is some of a difference. Tulpas, supposedly, are sentient, while an imaginary friend is just a delusion. But, it is possible for an imaginary friend to become a tulpa. But, due to how all of this comes down to opinion, nobody can say for sure if there is actually a difference in the end.
    Imaginary friends are supposedly sentient too. Both are delusions, this is not a question of opinion.

You ask whether our minds physical - they are. Each of our thoughts is the result of neurons firing; they can be tracked by machines. Artificial Intelligence, similarly, is the result of electronic processes.

The difference between an imaginary friend and a tulpa is that the former is a common pastime for children, and they soon let go of them as they realize their friend does not exist. A tulpa is an elaborate fantasy conjured up by mature people. Neither are sentient, though you could trick yourself into thinking they are - see cfc's post.
    Zonoro13 said:

Jarr2003 said:

Zonoro13 said:

Imaginary friends are supposedly sentient too. Both are delusions, this is not a question of opinion.

You ask whether our minds physical - they are. Each of our thoughts is the result of neurons firing; they can be tracked by machines. Artificial Intelligence, similarly, is the result of electronic processes.

The difference between an imaginary friend and a tulpa is that the former is a common pastime for children, and they soon let go of them as they realize their friend does not exist. A tulpa is an elaborate fantasy conjured up by mature people. Neither are sentient, though you could trick yourself into thinking they are - see cfc's post.
    But, is it impossible for a brain to hold two minds? For example, Dissociative identity disorder, which is literally a disorder which causes the person who has it to have multiple personalities. While looking that up, I also found an article that said that supposedly a blind person with that disorder supposedly can see when their other personalities take over, which shows that they are practically different people. Whether or not that is actually true, I don't know, but nevertheless the fact that such a disorder exists suggests that it's possible for a brain to have multiple minds. Whether or not it's possible for someone to do leginament self-induced DID like a tulpa still is up to a debate, but I still think that the very concept of tulpas shouldn't be quite so quickly be thrown out the window.
    Jarr2003 said:

-stuff-

Well clearly, but the concept of having a Tulpa according to the people who have one is flawed. Because if it cannot interact with anything, it has no mass, but if its 100% real, it wont be able to do things like vanishing. Or supposedly being sentient. Because there is no possible way for it to be a separate entity. Which is why I was mega-confused.

Also I prefer real people. :P
    What's a sig btw
    Jarr2003 said:

Zonoro13 said:

Jarr2003 said:

Zonoro13 said:

But, is it impossible for a brain to hold two minds? For example, Dissociative identity disorder, which is literally a disorder which causes the person who has it to have multiple personalities. While looking that up, I also found an article that said that supposedly a blind person with that disorder supposedly can see when their other personalities take over, which shows that they are practically different people. Whether or not that is actually true, I don't know, but nevertheless the fact that such a disorder exists suggests that it's possible for a brain to have multiple minds. Whether or not it's possible for someone to do leginament self-induced DID like a tulpa still is up to a debate, but I still think that the very concept of tulpas shouldn't be quite so quickly be thrown out the window.
    That's not relevant to what I'm arguing - my point was that tulpas are not beings separate from a person. They are simply a part of their personality.
    Zonoro13 said:

Jarr2003 said:

Zonoro13 said:

Jarr2003 said:

Zonoro13 said:

That's not relevant to what I'm arguing - my point was that tulpas are not beings separate from a person. They are simply a part of their personality.
    They are not separate in a physical way, yes, but whether or not they are their own personality comes down to opinion. They may be apart of their personality, at least initially, but who's to say that can't mean a tulpa can't be sentient? Couldn't a tulpa form a personality from the personality traits they are apart of?

Jarr2003 said:

-stuff-

Well clearly, but the concept of having a Tulpa according to the people who have one is flawed. Because if it cannot interact with anything, it has no mass, but if its 100% real, it wont be able to do things like vanishing. Or supposedly being sentient. Because there is no possible way for it to be a separate entity. Which is why I was mega-confused.

Also I prefer real people. :P
    Maybe they aren't a 100% real. Maybe 70% real. The 30% they aren't is things like being physical for example. But just because it can't interact with other people doesn't mean it can't be real. If a tree falls down and nobody is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? Yes, because even if nobody heard the tree, there still was sound. Similar logic can be applied to tulpas because just because only one person can technically hear them, doesn't mean they don't exist. And why does it have to be a separate entity to be sentient? And, from what I've heard, tulpas, with the person's permission, can possess their owner's body, allowing it to interact with other people. The owner then is basically turned into a tulpa until they switch back. This means that, yes, a tulpa can interact with other people and have mass.

This whole topic comes down to very heavy debating, and nobody can technically prove tulpas are or aren't sentient, so can we stop debating?
    Jarr2003 said:

Maybe they aren't a 100% real. Maybe 70% real. The 30% they aren't is things like being physical for example. But just because it can't interact with other people doesn't mean it can't be real. If a tree falls down and nobody is around to hear it, does it still make a sound? Yes, because even if nobody heard the tree, there still was sound. Similar logic can be applied to tulpas because just because only one person can technically hear them, doesn't mean they don't exist. And why does it have to be a separate entity to be sentient? And, from what I've heard, tulpas, with the person's permission, can possess their owner's body, allowing it to interact with other people. The owner then is basically turned into a tulpa until they switch back. This means that, yes, a tulpa can interact with other people and have mass.

This whole topic comes down to very heavy debating, and nobody can technically prove tulpas are or aren't sentient, so can we stop debating?

First bolded sentence.
    If a person is interacting with a tulpa around people, they would think they're going mad unless they knew.
    If somebody was cutting down a tree with other people, The other people would realise the tree is making a noise for them all to hear, and not just one person.

Second bolded part:
    I could say I am possessed by a demon right now too. Would you believe me? No. Demons don't exist. If I can't possibly be able to prove the claims possibility, I won't believe it.
    Also I will quarter you in your sleep.

Also I could say lots of things. Like how I am actually someone like manganese, but you can't actually prove that. You just don't know.

Just a note to people with them, I don't hate you, just part of you makes no sense whatsoever. To me.

What's a sig btw
  • CaesarCaesar Member Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly still have no idea how they work or if they're an actual thing, but from what I've heard they should probably only be used by people that actually need them.
    Shitposts may be returning
  • ManthorManthor Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    This thread is just walls of text.
    I Am Manthor, a man of curiosity and unquestionable weirdness
    My Music: forum.dashnet.org/discussion/12318/music-ive-made#latest

Hey now I have a Trove fourms account:forums.trovegame.com/member.php?21571294-Manthor

I honestly still have no idea how they work or if they're an actual thing, but from what I've heard they should probably only be used by people that actually need them.

Who "needs" a tulpa?
  • DoomlordKravokaDoomlordKravoka Member, Wiener Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds really depressing.
    Jarr, if a Tulpa "takes over someone's body", that's just a difference in behavior of the person - or even real schizophrenia. The tulpa is not a separate person, it is imagined.