Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

First of all

Comments

• UiomancantUiomancant Member, Cool, Flagger Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have gathered in my french classes, french usually don't pronounce the last consonant of the word.
    and all the irregular verbs should jump off a bridge

I say or-teel

I dont understand why people say or-tail. maybe its a thing like colo(u)r
    What's a sig btw
  • TelluriumTellurium Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Posts: 5,382 Mod
    The ei sound in English is whatever it wants to be. Sometimes it's A (freight, neighbor), sometimes it's E (weird), sometimes it's I (feisty). Who knows. I pronounce it or-tell, but I can see it being pronounced or-tail, or-teel, or or-tay.
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Orteil.
    I must admit that it's a mistake that I can do, even as a french.

Yeah, I know, I'm not an example...
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
  • Frank_3everestFrank_3everest Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭
    maybe of cookie but of people...

#nope
    You can't make a joke with my own language and expect me to get it. I'm not that smart!-@Dasbloody
    "I took things to fart"-@KhantStopButtnugget
    Pantaloons are pretty much man skirts. Even though they aren't. -@MiningcookiesVIII
    Congratules! Your reward is this paper cup. -@DoomlordKravoka

Dragon cave profile up in here- http://dragcave.net/user/Frank_Eeverest
  • TFU_SatronTFU_Satron Member, Friendly, Cool, Flagger, Conversationalist, Funny Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait a minute.
    Orteil said:

hey uh

it's
    orteil
    not
    ortiel

that is all. have a nice day

Orteil didnt use caps.
    obvious TFU alt.
    What is life? Is it nothing more than the endless search for a cutie mark? And what is a cutie mark but a constant reminder that we're all only one bugbear attack away from oblivion? And what of the poor gator? Flank forever blank, destined to an existential swim down the river of life to... an unknowable destiny?
  • AuroyaNovoAuroyaNovo Member, Friendly, Helpful, Cool Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait a minute.

Orteil said:

hey uh

it's
    orteil
    not
    ortiel

Orteil didnt use caps.
    obvious TFU alt.
    Or you were Orteil all along.
  • The_Deranged_UmbreonThe_Deranged_Umbreon Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭
    DasBloody said:

wait a minute.

Orteil said:

hey uh

it's
    orteil
    not
    ortiel

Orteil didnt use caps.
    obvious TFU alt.
    The plot thickens...
    "This is when I browse the recent changes list and see if people are being poopy pants." ~ILikeTrains (Wiki friend) "you dont choose to be gay, you just have to be lucky." ~TFU_Satron "WHAT?" ~Zuptin "Did you just call me a flying monkey?" ~Opti "Absol utely." ~Kirdneh "Is your face really necessary?" ~Gouchnox
  • UiomancantUiomancant Member, Cool, Flagger Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

DasBloody said:

wait a minute.

Orteil said:

hey uh

it's
    orteil
    not
    ortiel

Orteil didnt use caps.
    obvious TFU alt.
    The plot thickens...
    I thought it was cookie gas..
    What's a sig btw
  • SolarstrikeSolarstrike Member Posts: 392 ✭✭
    2 lel to lol
  • randomdude999randomdude999 Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited December 2014

DasBloody said:

wait a minute.

Orteil said:

hey uh

it's
    orteil
    not
    ortiel

Orteil didnt use caps.
    obvious TFU alt.
    The plot thickens...
    I thought it was cookie gas..
    What the hell even is cookie gas?
    (Oh, and BTW, I've never ever seen such long quote chain)
    EDIT: I figured out that all of matter can be in gaseous state. So cookie gas would exist... but it would just be a horribly hot mess.
    Post edited by randomdude999 on
    edited October 2014
    Orteil said:

hey uh

it's
    orteil
    not
    ortiel

I am from Estonia, and here we (almost) always pronounce things like we write them, so the way I have always pronounced Orteil is or-tail, with the pressure on the first syllable. An advanced version:
    O like in fox, r like in rain, t like in time, a, but in the way you spell it in the alphabet (so ei) and l like in light.
    Post edited by randomdude999 on
  • CoffeholicCoffeholic Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    In mother Estonia, we pronounce words the way we spell them.
    The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of what?!
  • TelluriumTellurium Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Posts: 5,382 Mod

My dream :<
  • ShylightShylight Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Posts: 6,452 Mod
    Tellurium said:

My dream :<</p>
    In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
  • CoffeholicCoffeholic Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Shylight said:

Tellurium said:

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!
    Ze german drem wil kum tru. Sieg heil! Heil Führer!
    The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of what?!
  • The_Deranged_UmbreonThe_Deranged_Umbreon Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭
    Shylight said:

Tellurium said:

It kinda lost all grounds near the end.
    "This is when I browse the recent changes list and see if people are being poopy pants." ~ILikeTrains (Wiki friend) "you dont choose to be gay, you just have to be lucky." ~TFU_Satron "WHAT?" ~Zuptin "Did you just call me a flying monkey?" ~Opti "Absol utely." ~Kirdneh "Is your face really necessary?" ~Gouchnox
  • DarkyDarky Member, Friendly, Cool, Funny Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shylight said:

Tellurium said:

Ze german drem wil kum tru. Sieg heil! Heil Führer!

no.
  • KarlolinKarlolin Member Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sry to break the quote chain but then i did the thing known as RESEARCH and got the correct prononciation: /ɔʁ.tɛj/. there. take that, suckas. Bet you can't pronounce it.

Please do not bump threads as old as this.
    i shouldnt even be alive at this point
    but i am
  • CookiewoodstockCookiewoodstock Member, Flagger Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sry to break the quote chain but then i did the thing known as RESEARCH and got the correct prononciation: /ɔʁ.tɛj/. there. take that, suckas. Bet you can't pronounce it.

1. Don't bump
    2. That's because it's a literal greek pronunciation and not typical words (like word is 'word' or syllable is 'sill-ah-bull'.)
  • Drago_mehDrago_meh Member, Wiener Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭
    If only I, a newbie of Dashnet, could have the privilege of Orteil responding to this post.
    I WOULD DIE IF ORTEIL RESPONDED
    "The true newbie of Dashnet"
    yes you all can call me a newbie

Also I am a dragon and my young dragons must grow so please help
    http://dragcave.net/user/Drago_Meh
  • IdlerIdler Member, Wiener, Double Wiener Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Karlolin said:

Please do not bump threads as old as this.
    Okay. I'll keep that in mind.
    You necrobumped.
    "Banned for not putting your quote to signature." - Tellurium
  • IdlerIdler Member, Wiener, Double Wiener Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not YOUR joke. It's a bad joke~~
    "Banned for not putting your quote to signature." - Tellurium
    Now if only Orteil would pos

• TFU_SatronTFU_Satron Member, Friendly, Cool, Flagger, Conversationalist, Funny Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drago_meh said:

i would love to see orteil posing
    What is life? Is it nothing more than the endless search for a cutie mark? And what is a cutie mark but a constant reminder that we're all only one bugbear attack away from oblivion? And what of the poor gator? Flank forever blank, destined to an existential swim down the river of life to... an unknowable destiny?

Drago_meh said:

i would love to see orteil posing
    Damn you tablet typing

• iceklausiceklaus Member Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭
    Ortiel does sound like those angel names thou...
    the ones who dare have lives woth dying for

shhhhh... nothing to see here
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    y u bump dead thread?
    cease your tomfoolery