Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Minetown - build your own miner town [V. 1.2 HUGE UPDATE]

Tobo2020Tobo2020 Posts: 62 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Games
Hey guys! It's me again with another idle game!

The previous one was... let's say "ugly". When I was staring at IGM handbook, I got accidently a perfect idea for a game. Then this monster was born. I think this one is made pretty good and is worth some attention!

STORY:
Few days ago, you were living in a peaceful miner village. Everything was normal. Then, one night, the lightning struck your house and the whole village got set on fire in no time. The only one who got alive, is you. You went far away and set yourself a goal. And that goal was to... rebuild your village.

HTP:
At start, you can just go to the forest for some wood. The game doesn't look quite well-made at this point, but a little later, you can make a workbench. And after you make a workbench, the game gets greatly expanded.

LINK:
Play now!
orteil.dashnet.org/experiments/idlegamemaker/?game=a9WNLn8b

Enjoy the game :)
"Signature is like maths: you use it when you know what you want to do."
Post edited by Tobo2020 on
Tagged:

Comments

• Dungeon_SnakeDungeon_Snake Posts: 108 ✭✭
    it's copper not cooper.
    I live on earth
  • Tobo2020Tobo2020 Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Update! 1.1 is out!

-hiring now always costs the same ammount of items
    -new achievements
    Absolutely no feedback after 2 days... looks like this game is trash. 5 hours of work for NOTHING. I'm sad :'( :'(
    It is a very interesting idea, how you need the tools to hire the people who help you, also you could try renaming cooper to what it's actually called: Copper
    I live on earth
  • 1234abcdcba43211234abcdcba4321 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Resources
    1,528 wood (23.7/s)
    1,436 stone (23.6/s)
    7,058 cooper (10.6/s)
    1,749 lead (2.2/s)
    1,391 iron (2/s)
    216 gold (0.3/s)
    221 diamonds (0.3/s)
    11 orachitaulnum (0/s)
    1,713 titanium (2.9/s)
    1,196 pickaxe durablity (0/s)

am i doing good?

also you can buy titanium miners with a lvl 2 pick, is that intended?

Resources
    1,528 wood (23.7/s)
    1,436 stone (23.6/s)
    7,058 cooper (10.6/s)
    1,749 lead (2.2/s)
    1,391 iron (2/s)
    216 gold (0.3/s)
    221 diamonds (0.3/s)
    11 orachitaulnum (0/s)
    1,713 titanium (2.9/s)

am i doing good?

Yes, you're doing good :wink:
    And the thing with titanium miners is a bug, I'll fix it shortly.
    Tobo2020 said:

Resources
    1,528 wood (23.7/s)
    1,436 stone (23.6/s)
    7,058 cooper (10.6/s)
    1,749 lead (2.2/s)
    1,391 iron (2/s)
    216 gold (0.3/s)
    221 diamonds (0.3/s)
    11 orachitaulnum (0/s)
    1,713 titanium (2.9/s)

am i doing good?

Yes, you're doing good :wink:
    And the thing with titanium miners is a bug, I'll fix it shortly.
    It should be fixed now.
  • Joe_UnverzagtJoe_Unverzagt Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Hey there, I tested your game for a while today and here are a few thoughts on it:

- The start of the game is rather confusing. Since there is no tutorialisation and the progression isn't made very clear I stopped playing after about ten minutes when I played it the first time because I thought there was a bug that prevented me from playing on. Only after taking a second look again today did I find out that I confused the pickaxes and the pickaxe durability and that the latter is needed to unlock new buildings.
    - Since there are 22 clickables in the end and non of them has a tooltip (which can't be integrated I know) it is hard to remember what the cost for each of them is. And again I got confused by the pickaxes and pickaxe durability quiet often, clicking on one when I instead wanted to build the other.
    Maybe you could integrate the cost within the name so that it is displayed together with or you could think about a clever way to display the cost in an icon.
    - Most of the early game resources get redundant once you reach a certain point in the game. After reaching the pickaxe 3 for example, I was hardly using any wood at all.
    - This ties in to the previous point. Since the cost of the building does not increase over time, the game feels pretty easy. I don't feel the urge to build more Timberman because I don't need lots of wood anyways. Playing it every now and then between work, 30 to 40 Timberman were quiet enought to take me to the end of the game.
    - Lead and gold are both resources which are only needed for a few (3 and 4) upgrades throughout the whole game. Other than that they serve no purpose. You should think about either giving later pickaxe tiers a cost in both lead/iron and gold/diamonds or ditch the two resources completely.
    - One thing that bugs me about a lot of "early stage" IGM games, the positioning of the achievements box is really awkward. It is pretty small by default and a lot of text from the achievements to the far left is not readable at all because the text is displayed outside the browser window. You should think about using a basic css layout. It is not that hard to do really.
    - At the end of the game, when you have the resources to build larger quantities of buildings, all the clicking becomes a real hassle. It would be nice to have the ability to build like 10 pickaxes/houses at once.
    - The game has no real ending. Which is ok in some way since it is an idle game and they are not supposed to have an ending. But after only spending about four hours where I played for a few minutes each hour there wasn't really anything left for me to do. I would like to see some more "endgame content".

I would like to end by saying that all of this is only my personal opinion of course. You might want to take some or all of the device and think about it or throw it all out of the window. It is up to you ;).
    Anyway, I liked the general theme of your idea and would really like to see how it evolves in the future.

Hey there, I tested your game for a while today and here are a few thoughts on it:

- The start of the game is rather confusing. Since there is no tutorialisation and the progression isn't made very clear I stopped playing after about ten minutes when I played it the first time because I thought there was a bug that prevented me from playing on. Only after taking a second look again today did I find out that I confused the pickaxes and the pickaxe durability and that the latter is needed to unlock new buildings.
    - Since there are 22 clickables in the end and non of them has a tooltip (which can't be integrated I know) it is hard to remember what the cost for each of them is. And again I got confused by the pickaxes and pickaxe durability quiet often, clicking on one when I instead wanted to build the other.
    Maybe you could integrate the cost within the name so that it is displayed together with or you could think about a clever way to display the cost in an icon.
    - Most of the early game resources get redundant once you reach a certain point in the game. After reaching the pickaxe 3 for example, I was hardly using any wood at all.
    - This ties in to the previous point. Since the cost of the building does not increase over time, the game feels pretty easy. I don't feel the urge to build more Timberman because I don't need lots of wood anyways. Playing it every now and then between work, 30 to 40 Timberman were quiet enought to take me to the end of the game.
    - Lead and gold are both resources which are only needed for a few (3 and 4) upgrades throughout the whole game. Other than that they serve no purpose. You should think about either giving later pickaxe tiers a cost in both lead/iron and gold/diamonds or ditch the two resources completely.
    - One thing that bugs me about a lot of "early stage" IGM games, the positioning of the achievements box is really awkward. It is pretty small by default and a lot of text from the achievements to the far left is not readable at all because the text is displayed outside the browser window. You should think about using a basic css layout. It is not that hard to do really.
    - At the end of the game, when you have the resources to build larger quantities of buildings, all the clicking becomes a real hassle. It would be nice to have the ability to build like 10 pickaxes/houses at once.
    - The game has no real ending. Which is ok in some way since it is an idle game and they are not supposed to have an ending. But after only spending about four hours where I played for a few minutes each hour there wasn't really anything left for me to do. I would like to see some more "endgame content".

I would like to end by saying that all of this is only my personal opinion of course. You might want to take some or all of the device and think about it or throw it all out of the window. It is up to you ;).
    Anyway, I liked the general theme of your idea and would really like to see how it evolves in the future.

Wow, that's a HUGE feedback! Thanks for writing down your thoughts, as they may get used in future updates. Again, thank you ;)
    Okay, guys. After straight 2 hours of work and testing, I finally managed to make an update. A HUGE update.

Changes:
    -added energy
    -added game days
    -going to forest, mining, building etc. now also costs energy
    -made some items more useful
    -capped prices (pickaxes now cost much more)
    -improved resoruces screen

In next version:
    Custom stylesheet
  • DashivaDashiva Posts: 12 ✭✭
    The "not enough resources" notification doesn't mention the new energy cost for clickables, which makes it rather confusing.
    "Don't worry, the Universe IS out to get you."
    you should really fix the name being displayed as cooper not copper, it's really bugging me and would probably bug anyone who doesn't like grammar mistakes, also it's putting me off of this game and making me not want to play it
    I live on earth
  • TheKniferTheKnifer Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg, this game is amazing, at first i though it was terrible, no graphics whatsoever, but as i went along i found myself playing really super long. Five stars!
  • apotheosisapotheosis Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I like the mechanics and resource management you have going on so far. I only started the game recently, just got up to 10 Timbermen, Stone Miners and "Cooper" Miners. Figure I will let them generate resources for a while before I delve into the rest of the content.

EDIT: Okay, is there anything after Hell Mines? It seems like what this game needs is something to do with the resources other than earn more resources. Like a castle you need to build or army you need to fight or something.
    Post edited by apotheosis on