Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

UnessesaryEplanation.exe by [guˑʃnɔks]

GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,429Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
So...
@ShinyTrees sent me a message saying "What if I told you FNaF is overrated?".
Now, I do understand that people have different opinion, and I do understand that people might not like what you like, or rather, don't understand why you like a certain thing. Big news, I'm a brony.
So, it's safe to say that I do understand ShinyTrees' point of view.
Buuuuut at the same time I'm still Gouchnox, the guy that makes super long rambling threads for no reason what so ever, which is what I'm doing right now, believe it or not.
I'm here to try to explain, and to be as objective as I can be, what makes the popularity of fnaf and why it is famous (and considered a very good game by a large group of people).
Yeah, I'm unstoppable.
But you gotta understand me, I'm a fan. If someone posted something like "mlp is for little girls it's stupid to watch that show [...]" on my wall.... I will probably... not do anything. Because the rare people that read my rambles do know why mlp is cool, so there's no point in me explaining why it is.
Buuuut since a lot of people here are new to fnaf, I'm going to ramble anyway.
Do note that I'm not trying to make anyone like fnaf, or trying to impose my opinion. I'm just explaining stuff.
So, why is fnaf famous, and a good game ?

Note: I'm gonna say multiple times that Scott Cawthon (the creator of fnaf) is a genius. It's because of the way he made this game, not his private life or whatever, I don't know him.

Because of its originality
Fnaf is a horror game. What is the core mechanic behind a horror game ? What makes it scary ? Well, we all have different fears. Depending on our childhood, our natural "predators", or whatever. So... fear is pretty diverse when you think about it. So how do you make a "horror game", that is, a game that can bring fear to everybody ? Hum.. Seems pretty tricky at first, since everyone is different where it comes to fear. So you take advantage of the root of fear: the unknown. Yes, you fear something because you don't know it, now get along with it. People are afraid of the dark, because you can't really see what's up in there, and so there may be a ton of different creepy things. You see the dark, or rather, you don't see what's creepy, so your brain, who likes to fill the gaps, is gonna imagine what could be here. Aaaand that's the base of it. Since every fear is different depending on the person, the dark is the answer: you are gonna imagine what you fear, and be scared of it.
How do you keep things unknown, and scary ? By adding more dark ? Yes. Precisely, by making people go deeper in the dark, and discover some new darkness. Keep the person moving, and you will keep its fear up. That's the core mechanic to all horror games: You are moving. You are discovering your creepy environment, ready to be creped out by a creepy creep. Amnesia, Slender... Every horror game is based on that.
So... here we finaly come to fnaf. Core mechanic of fanf ? You can't move. Can you tell me the name of another horror game were you can't move ? You're gonna have a bad time finding some. And that's the first brilliant thing with this game: it is original. And that's what makes the unknown: no one knows what to expect ! It's a brand new concept ! You, not your character, but you, in front of your keyboard, are moving in the dark ! You are the one discovering the unknown, because this game is unknown ! It's crazy: nothing is happening, and yet, you are on edge ! You are here, sitting in an office, doing nothing, there are a bunch of cameras changing, nothing to be scared about... and yet is is scary ! Seriously, on night 1 of fnaf1, there's like 3 times (max) where you are attacked, in 9 minutes !
And that brings us the controversy: you are on or off. You can be dead scared of it (a lot of people), and you can be like "Waaat ? This is not scary !" (me and ShinyTrees); at least as your first impressions on the game. But there's not really room for an average.
image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
Tagged:

Comments

• Anon9mousAnon9mous Posts: 6,444Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Woo, rambles!

I gotta love how you can do these kinds of things while explaining yourself properly, man!

...I'm jealous!

Yeah, because of the fact that I can't explain my thoughts properly, in any way...

...Which I think was one of the main causes behind my depression.

I'm not saying that you made me sad, though. I'm proud of ya!
    "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some braining to do." ~Dasbloody
    "I'm about 0% sure that that is correct." ~Kirdneh
  • ShylightShylight Posts: 6,452Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Mod
    I still think that this game is just a creepypasta with a bunch of jump scares, but I can understand why people enjoy it.

By the way, the word "overrated" is one of the most stupid words ever, as it takes its user's opinion and places it over opinions of many others so the user can feel smug and inflate his ego.
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,429Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    But each time I'm like... afraid of going out out topic, and saying uninteresting stuff.
    Cause I could have said a lot here about horror psychology.
    And like... each time I feel like I'm repeating myself, or not making myself clear.
  • Anon9mousAnon9mous Posts: 6,444Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Shylight said:

I still think that this game is just a creepypasta with a bunch of jump scares, but I can understand why people enjoy it.

It is a creepypasta with jumpscares, but it's a really darn amazing pasta.

Seriously, people argue about almost everything in it, and that was done purposefully!

Some serious craftsmanship from Scott's part.
    "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some braining to do." ~Dasbloody
    "I'm about 0% sure that that is correct." ~Kirdneh
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,429Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shily: For me, the jumpscares don't make the game, the game makes the jumpscares.
    But hey, just my opinion.
  • DarkmatterfireDarkmatterfire Posts: 4,393Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see why people love this game so much.

I just don't like when it seems like all I see is the word FNAF pop up in every corner ever though I'm not even interested in the series.

But that what happens when stuff get popular. It seems stuff like Minecraft, Slender, and Pokemon got so big like FNAF nobody ever stops talking about it.
  • GouchyGouchy Posts: 28Member ✭✭
    Gouchnox...
    Not to be annoying but you gotta stop rambling like that.
    I mean... I know you like doing it, but it may be annoying for the others, I don't know.
    Gouchy said:

Gouchnox...
    Not to be annoying but you gotta stop rambling like that.
    I mean... I know you like doing it, but it may be annoying for the others, I don't know.

I'm pretty sure annoying stuff wouldn't collect 16 awesomes. It'd get quite a few "spams", "abuses" and disagrees though.
    Mmmkay, maybe.
    *looks at his alt account*
    Aw shit I got 5 spam.
    Even when I'm trying I still manage to be annoying.
  • BurntCookieBurntCookie Posts: 5,001Member, Internet Detective, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gouchy said:

Mmmkay, maybe.
    *looks at his alt account*
    Aw shit I got 5 spam.
    Even when I'm trying I still manage to be annoying.

The 5 spam was because the account used to be CG's. You didn't do anything wrong. CG did.
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    But since I'm...
    Hum...
    I'm gonna try to limit the disagrees here.
    "But since I can be annoying like CG..."
  • IdlerIdler Posts: 3,235Member, Wiener, Double Wiener ✭✭✭✭✭
    That discussion...? Maybe Michele.exe will help.
    "Banned for not putting your quote to signature." - Tellurium
    Gouchy said:

But since I'm...
    Hum...
    I'm gonna try to limit the disagrees here.
    "But since I can be annoying like CG..."

Nah.
    I can be a pretty big dick to people.
    I mean, just look at my disagreed/flagged posts.
    In my memory in your most disagreed posts you were unfairly harsh on yourself. :P
    I was talking about the time were I was arguing with CG.
    You were guided by anger. And not an anger I don't understand. As I've said before: I'm happy you didn't have the same level of self-control I did, as it means you didn't have to learn said self-control the way I did.