Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Ranting.exe by xonhcuoG

GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,350Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I said I could do an entire thread about Mojang's transparency b*llshit, and since I can't shut up, I'm gonna do it.
Aaaaand because I like to explain stuff. But mostly because I'm selfish and I want everyone to know what I think.
Yeah. Explanations.

What is Minecraft X-ray ?
X-ray is a long known glitch/exploit in the game Minecraft. If you don't know what Minecraft is, then you have a life, which means that you don't have anything to do here (because you won't understand shit). So.... The purpose of X-ray is to be able to see through the ground in order to see the caves, and to get their resources. It can be done by two ways. Glitching through the ground, and using an X-ray resourcepack.
Glitching through the ground is pretty easy, you just have to get yourself inside a block of Glowstone or a block of Redstone. Why those two ? Because they don't make you suffocate. And dying isn't fun. How do you do that ? Well, you can move the blocks into your head using pistons, or you can use an enderpearl to teleport into the block. The way doesn't really matter, as there is a ton of ways to do it out there. Once you are in the block, you will see the ground like this. You can spot the caves, dig to them, and get the precious diamonds. The flaw of this system is that you can't move when Xray-ing, and it takes a couple of second to set-up and remove.
The second technique uses a resourcepack. It's pretty straight-forward: you make the blocks like stone, dirt or whatever... invisible. And you get something like this. It makes caves harder to see, yes, but you can move freely and you don't have to set-up anything.

How was it removed ?
As you may expect from Mojang, they didn't like the idea of players exploiting the game like that. Soooo they took measures. Since there was two ways of Xray-ing, they took two measures /)_-. The first one is block-rendering, the second one is texture-transparency.
With block-rendering, it's pretty straight-forward: each block that you cannot see is simply not rendered by your client. They are in the world, but they are not rendered, as in, they don't have any texture show to your computer. It's pretty smart and cool, since it reduces lag a lot (your computer is processing a lot less), and it solves both Xray-ing techniques. Because, in both X-ray cases, you are seeing through a block to see the blocks behind it. With the block-rendering changes, there is simply nothing to see behind the block, since nothing is rendered. So... you end up with an empty screen. The caves are here, but they are not rendered.
So... both problems are solved in one change ! What does Mojang do ? They do another change ! /)_-
The change here is simple: every invisible pixel in a texture will turn black. Let's take an example: wooden planks.
The texture looks like that:

If I change it to that:

Well, in previous versions of the game, it would look like that in-game, but now, it looks like that.
Note: it doesn't apply to blocks that have natural transparency to them like glass, doors, ladders, or whatever.

Why is the texture-transparency change that bad ?
Well, first off, it's completely useless. Because they made the block-rendering change, it doesn't matter if you change texture-transparency or not, X-ray can't be done anymore. Even funnier: you can still have invisible blocks with resourcepacks. You just have to change the model, and bam, it works. Take my pony for example. The original block is a pumpkin. Yeah, a freaking pumpkin. You can't normally see through a pumpkin, but here, you can see though the pony's legs, behind its back... It's super easy to do.
Aaand second, it's super annoying when it comes to modeling.
There are a ton of blocks that I wanted do do more 3d-ish, but I can't because of that shit. Like pumpkins, glowstone, furnaces, dispensers...
And there's some 3d models that could have been improved with that. Like 3d cogs with my Reality Compromiser texture. And, in that case... the pony.
It's absolutely incredible, the amount of things that could be improved with transparency regarding the pony. Like the mane and the tail. I could do some cool textures and add them to the pony, but no, you need to do some ugly-ass blocky things. I could do a standardized thing, you know, you just have to dump the correct texture to have a different pony. But no, you have to do some more coding for the different mane/tail styles. Another example ? The cutie-mark. You could just dump a cutie-mark in your folder, and bam, it's on the pony. But no, you have to change the image so that you don't have a black square on the pony's butt.
It's like, designed to be annoying ! Cause it doesn't do shit, and it prevents you from doing cool stuff. You could have, in the same spirit as the cutie-mark, some motifs you could add on your texture. But no, you have to re-code the thing.

Is Xray-ing that bad ?
And here we have the worst thing. Xray isn't even a bad thing, that Mojang needed to fix. Why ? Well, think about it. It makes caves visible. So what ? You know where a few diamonds are, good for you. But it doesn't help at all. Cause you'll have to dig to them, in a not-very-practical way, you'll have to spend some time on it, just for a pack of diamonds.
Every minecraft player that knows the game a title bit will agree: Branch-mining is the way to do it. It's the most efficient way of getting resources, and it's the fastest. Just look at this, and compare it to the X-ray pictures I showed earlier. Yeah... nothing else to say.
So... it removes something that wasn't even a chitty exploit, it's super annoying for resourcepacks... can it get worst ? Yup !
Indeed, X-ray isn't only used for diamonds. Everyone that made a mob-farm will tell you that: the efficiency of a mob-farm depends on its surroundings. The best example would be a Wither Farm. Were about 80% of the efficiency of the farm depends on the surrounding terrain. Indeed, if a lot of mobs can spawn outside, they won't spawn inside. So... how do you fix that ? By removing some spawnable areas outside. Where do mobs spawn ? I caves. Everyone that makes underground mob-farms will tell you that: you need to lit up all the surrounding caves. How do you find those caves ? X-ray.
Here, it's not used to exploit anything, it's just used to save you time finding the caves yourself. You take that argument as you want, I'm just dumping this on the table.

Yeah. I think I'm done here.
I mean... I cold do so much with this pony model...
image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
Tagged:

Comments

• TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,404Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    Gouchnox said:

But mostly because I'm selfish and I want everyone to know what I think.

That is not at all true towards me. What you did here is actually the opposite of selfish, because instead of keeping your interesting thoughts and information to yourself, you shared it with us. And I like to hear what people have to think, I like to hear their opinions and what they like to talk about, it's interesting and fun. This is especially true towards people who I love! ♥

So I found what you had to say in this thread quite interesting, and I'm glad you shared it. (It also reminded me how I wanted to make my own rambling thread, I think I'll get on that soon :3)
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Posts: 14,508Member, Friendly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cross Examination
    Hmm... You say Xraying isn't that bad... What if someone does it in Multiplayer to see within another player's mine, so that when they go offline, they can take the precious minerals inside...? This would ruin the fun for the other player, especially in competitive games like Factions, where the player could also infiltrate a fortress of another player through their mine, and loot the chests while the other player is offline. And that would be bad...
    Current status: Could be much better, really.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    * Seeing this AU based on the community fills you with DETERMINATION.
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,350Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, ok... Xray is bad...
    But... it doesn't change the main thing here.
    Like, I don't play multiplayer, so I'm not bothered by Xray. But if it is actually a problem, then why not. What I'm seeing though, is that this one change is just ruining everything when it comes to resourcepacks.
    @Luri‌
    I don't know... I always find hard to believe that people might find my never-ending rambling interesting
    The second one, Mojang had made custom block models work I thought... The first one is actually not that bad. The second may be a problem they can fix, but the only way to do the first thing is a nonlegit hack system.
    "My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    It just makes no sense to remove texture transparency. It doesn't add anything, it's just here do annoy the shit out of everyone that makes resourcepacks.
    I know that part, it seems bad. Maybe send a message to Mojang that the texture invisibility removal wasn't right when they already fixed the problem?
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    edited December 2014

Yeah sure.
    I was being serious...
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    1: They don't care
    2: They won't take it into consideration
    3: It's a minor thing that only the dumb people like me care about
    4: Why would they change something that they added
    5: A team of developers of the most famous sandbox game ever, against a small young idiot that wants to make his own resourcepack, which isn't gonna be shared with the community because he's too shy/stupid/incompetent.
    6: They've got interesting things to care about
    1: They care about the community, even one small member.
    2: How do you know? They might.
    3: Yeah, so half of the numbers of every resource pack maker in the world is part of that group.
    4: Stuff might not work out, I am sure they planned something with Endermites and the dragon egg but it didn't work with the code.
    5: Actually, hundreds of small young idiots lead by the mighty, not stupid Gouchnox!
    6: They care about the community, your claims could interest them!
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
    ok den grouchnox
    Creator of DASHNETTALE
  • TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,404Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    Gouchnox said:

@Luri‌
    I don't know... I always find hard to believe that people might find my never-ending rambling interesting

I can understand that. When I finish my novel-length rambling thread, it's gonna be pretty hard to stop myself from saying "yep, no one's gonna slog through this whole thing", because I also have basically no self-esteem.

But you can remember this: I find your never-ending rambling interesting and I'm glad you share it. This is not something to be second-guessed, it's true. :3
  • japanmanjapanman Posts: 463Member ✭✭✭
    I do staircase mining...
    /