Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Deep Frost (Chapter by Chapter)

PurgePurge Member, Friendly, Helpful Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Off Topic
Help write:
Chapter by Chapter

Credits:
Purge2202 - Compiler; Ch. --
Tellurium - Ch. 1/8
Darth Cookies - Ch. 2/9
DemonicSprinkles - Ch. 3/7
TheQQQQ - Ch. 4
Kirdneh - Ch. 5 & 10
Sirfish - Ch. 6

Chapter 1: Winter

It was a cold December night in England.

The leaves of the trees blew like they had simply given up; the wind was an accepted inevitability. The imposing clouds moved at the pace of glaciers. The seagulls perched on the docks, appearing as if they were waiting for something ─ something important.

Anyone who left their house on this night was required to. People bundled in more layers than they had ever worn in their lives shuffled miserably to their place of beckoning. The Christmas spirit had attempted hopefully to enter their minds hardened by cold, gave up and simply went home.

A certain house grabbed the attention of each person who shuffled by. They knew not why exactly they turned towards it; they didn't even quite realize that it had called their attention. It was an instinctive act.

This house was different from the others. And it hadn't been the previous night.

This was Peter's house.

Chapter 2: Edmund

Edmund Phillips Burrough felt a cold wind travel down his back.

Strange, I thought I shut all the windows. Must be the cat, he thinks as he stands up from his desk. Which one is open?

He walks around his house, peering at each window in turn, until finally he discovers the culprit. The window is an older one, and he has no trouble believing that the cat got it open again. As goes to shut it, the house across the street catches his eye. There seems to be something off about it, like it is different from all of the other ones somehow. He shakes his head and shuts the window. Returning to his desk, he tries to remember how the plot went in the next scene he was writing, but that house is still on his mind, making it hard to focus.

He eventually starts typing again, but his mind still wanders. When he comes to his senses, he realizes that the last seven pages of his manuscript are just the words "What's different about that house?" repeated over and over again. He quickly deletes them and continues with the scene, but the house still won't leave his mind alone.

Chapter 3: Peter

Peter tossed the last of the firewood into the short-lasting flames. They would quickly be consumed by the chill that flooded the house, but Peter embraced the time left in the warmth of his fireplace.

The fire soon died down, as did the warmth, and Peter got up to retrieve that blanket he was sure he left in his closet. However, Peter noticed something strange as he inched down the hallway. Ice coated the walls, the cold of the outside seeming to be seeping in through the ceiling.

Peter followed the ice to the end of the hallway, where it was thickset. There, almost completely hidden in foggy ice, lay the entrance to Peter's attic.

Peter stood there thinking a moment before retreating into the kitchen to grab a knife, then he went back to the hallway and began chipping away at the ice. He eventually de-iced the attic door enough to open it, and yank on it hard.

The attic door gave way with a creak, and a frozen ladder led up into the attic. Peter slowly ascended.

Chapter 4: Unusual Signts

Outside the house, citizens amassed like Black Friday shoppers. This morning's snowstorm had knocked the electricity out for everyone in the town. The supernatural cold made it extremely difficult to remember what it was like to be warm. They begged to be let in, but Peter could not hear them-- he had gone into the attic.

The inside of the attic was not inside the attic. The door led to somewhere else. Instead of a ceiling there was a dark sky. Peter seemed to be in a frozen mountain place, and it was oddly familiar. He tried to remember where he knew it from, and realized that it looked just like a painting that had recently come into his possession. The painting seemed to have taken over the attic. There was a polar bear in that painting. But where was the polar bear now?

Then he saw the most unusual thing yet. At the sight of it, it was like Peter was waking up for the first time.
It was a throne made of ice, and there was something in it.

Chapter 5: The Throne

The throne was a majestic piece, large, and commanding, but while it bore the exquisituity of the ruling class, it was apathetic and proud, cold both in temperature and nature. It was 2 meters tall, with intricate, sharp edges on the sides. Carved, clear icicles like spears made up the back, but would not injure the sitter.

Upon the chair, this ancient chair that seemed like a natural part of this frozen landscape, was a small object that caught his eye. Peter walked cautiously toward the throne. It was a ring made of solid ice, that seemed to shift colors and design as he turned it in his hand. It was cold, but when he put it on, it seemed to warm his body; not the warmth of an embracing hug, but a somehow cold, mechanical warmth, emotionless; like a tyrant burning a peasant's house down. Peter tried to ignore the unnerving faint sensation as he trudged on past the throne, not daring to look back.

The snow underfoot crunched, not the snow of a christmas card, but of an alien tundra, horrendous, spiky mountains in the distance. The impossibly dark inky black darkness was too disturbing to look at, so peter ignored it as well, and focused on the horizon. Somehow, while there seemed to be no source of light, the land around him was still lit up like a twilight.

Peter trudged on.

Chapter 6: Frost Bites Back

Peter Noticed something horrifying. a Frozen body. stuck in time. The entire Body frozen. If he was alive. He probably froze in the inside by now. Then Peter Realized that the one unfrozen spot was the same Finger that peter wore the ring.

He Trudged On. But there it was; a Generator. With this he would have the only house in the town with power. the only problem was it was frozen to the ground. Peter Yanked. And Yanked.

It came free. and peter fell back into the wall with a thud. Finally. He though. Peter then felt as if something were creeping up his arm. With a look down peter realized

Ice Was growing up his arm...

Chapter 7: Peter's House

It had never been so cold.

Edmund woke up, greeted by windows covered in opaque ice. He felt the need to pull his blanket and comforter of the bed with him and wrap them around himself as he walked. As he entered his bathroom he noticed the window was opened just slightly, and the cold had crept in, freezing his toothpaste into a dental popsicle. he decided not to brush his teeth today.

As Edmund pushed open his icy door, he saw the even colder outside, but what was first to catch his eye was Peter's house. It didn't look different than any of the others, yet it seemed so much different. He needed to figure it out. He decided to investigate.

Three layers later, Edmund began towards Peter's house. He tried his best to ignore the freezing cold that was keeping so many people locked up inside their houses, but it became unbearable, and he started running quickly through the slippery ground.

Edmund stood at the front entrance to Peter's house, and knocked on the door. Strangely enough, the door inched open by itself. Edmund didn't give this a second thought before running in to the warmth of the house.

But it was far from warm in that house. The cold seemed even stronger, as if Edmund was stuck in a giant freezer. But he didn't go back. He needed to find out what was different, perhaps it was the cold, but he also needed to find out why. Perhaps the open attic would be a good place to start.
""My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse
Post edited by Purge on
Tagged:

Comments

• PurgePurge Member, Friendly, Helpful Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Chapter 8: The Last Council Member

The one man who knew what would transpire on this night stood with the seagulls on a frozen pier.

The cold was nothing to him. He was there the first time. He knew what had awoken in that house. He knew the events of this night by heart. He knew this cold that could be lessened with mere fabrics and coverings was the mild beginning. And he knew that this time, he could do nothing to stop the end.

He was the last member of the Council.

He thought back. Hylonim, the ancient leader, in all his infinite wisdom; claimed by the years. Jynmero, the very eccentric, extremely intelligent master of all things complex; his corpse found burned to a crisp, presumably killed by one of the Council's greatest adversaries: a mysterious demon-like warrior with no known name. Seiricha (Now what was her last mortal alias? "Ashley"?), the youngest member of the Council, with her unusual way of going about things and uncanny ability to always come out on top of every situation; missing since years ago. Missing, presumed ─ no, practically guaranteed ─ dead. Agorla & Phorynem, lovers 'till the end, with their nigh unstoppable combination of talents; sacrificed themselves the first time the Council faced its greatest adversary. The first time what is happening this night threatened to happen.

Ghaen, the man who had peered into the heart of that dark place and lived to tell the tale, stood on a pier that was younger than he was. He stood empty of hope. Unlike the others, he had seen that place's goal. He knew this day would come.

The seagulls eyed him suspiciously. He sat down on the edge of the pier.

And waited.

Chapter 9: Misplaced or Hidden?

I shouldn't be here, Edmund thought as he trudged up the stairs to the attic. What if he sees me? What if I'm caught? A small creature running past his leg broke him out of such thoughts.

Is that Barry? What's my cat doing here? "Barry, get back here!" He calls to the cat, chasing after it into the icy tundra. It takes him a minute to realize that he shouldn't be where he is.

Where am I? What happened to his attic? Was it aliens? Or something far more sinister? These questions and more pop into his head as he slowly turns and takes in the view. It is quite beautiful, if you enjoy ice and snow blowing all over the place and cold biting under the last layers of warmth that you have left. Edmund, like most, didn't enjoy it in the slightest. As he enjoys the view, slowly but surely a more pressing question enters his head.

How do I get out?
    Post edited by Purge on
    ""My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse
    Reserved for 3rd part
    Reserved for 4th part
    Reserved for Final Part
  • TelluriumTellurium Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Posts: 5,398 Mod
    What about chapters 8, 9 and 10?

Also, wouldn't hurt to say who the chapters were written by.

Also, you got rid of the formatting. The italics were important as they were the only thing that denoted which parts were his thoughts.

I did Copy/Paste, but iw ill be fixed as i post the next set of chapters
    Tellurium said:

What about chapters 8, 9 and 10?

Also, wouldn't hurt to say who the chapters were written by.

I only had a short amount of time to add the 3 chapters, and chapter authors will defiantly be added!
  • ViniVini Member Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purge2202 said:

chapter authors will defiantly be added!

I just love when someone makes that typo. It's defiantly my favorite one.

• DarthCookieDarthCookie Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger, Conversationalist Posts: 5,618 Mod
    edited December 2014
    Purge2202 said:

Also, you got rid of the formatting. The italics were important as they were the only thing that denoted which parts were his thoughts.

I did Copy/Paste, but it will be fixed as i post the next set of chapters
    No worries; I was just informing.

The easiest way that I have found to do it is to hit the quote button on whichever posts and then copy and paste from there. You can get all of the chapters at once this way, without having to worry about their formatting. (I would proofread though; I know that I have made mistakes in my chapters.) :p
    Vini said:

Purge2202 said:

chapter authors will defiantly be added!

I just love when someone makes that typo. It's defiantly my favorite one.
    Who said it was a typo

Purge2202 said:

I did Copy/Paste, but it will be fixed as i post the next set of chapters
    No worries; I was just informing.

The easiest way that I have found to do it is to hit the quote button on whichever posts and then copy and paste from there. You can get all of the chapters at once this way, without having to worry about their formatting. (I would proofread though; I know that I have made mistakes in my chapters.) :p
    You had the same idea as my idea and now it seems like i stole yours...

Anyways, Updated with proper formatting, better punctuation, credits, and 3 more chapters!