Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Rambling.exe by Gouchnox

GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,345Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Hey guys ? How are you doing ?
This thread is basically me rambling for about a freaking long amount of time.
In a not-very-interesting way.
Ye.
So this is a disclaimer for the posts that follows. Because you might not be interested in it. Oh and brony stuff.
There's absolutely no reason for me to post this, but hey. Things I guess.
Here goes:

Hey, have you ever herd of Collecting Cookies ? If you didn't, it's basically a song by The Living Tombstone about Cookie Clicker. Here it is for those who can't YouTube.

I've recently become very interested by the lyrics of this song. Because it's about mlp characters, and because it's guud.
(For those who said "wtf, it's not about mlp", you might be interested in what follows. Or not.)

And because I like long comments on analyzing stuff, I decided to analyze the lyrics.
There you go, you know the topic, you can leave if you want.

I am a lawyer, and I'm a father,
I talk well by the rules and do my best to care for my kids,
Got so much money, I got a happy family
I got a busy schedule, so I can't talk right now, sorry

I am a student, I've got PHDs,
I majored in Drama, Science, Laws, Music, Philosophy
I'm an example, every body wants me
But none of it matters since I'm just sit collectin' cookies.

I am a party boy. I like to be.
In clubs Twerkin' and Dancin', Bein' dumb with people like me
I don't really mind cause I've got no self-esteem
There's plenty to go around cause there's no 'I' in TEAM.

I am a runner, I'm an athlete
I like to run and be the fastest like a bolt of lightning
Be number one, I want more medals, I want to win
If I can't get there I can shoot adrenaline.

But I, got no one, I got no job, no talent that I'm good at,
So I'm lying, in bed I am crying, wishing that I'll get lucky someday,

I'm crying, I'm crying, and whining, and whining
wishing that I'll get lucky someday,
I'm crying, I'm crying, and whining,

But none of it matters really since I just sit collecting cookies.

Stanza 1:
I talk well by the rules and do my best to care for my kids,
Got so much money, I got a happy family

This starts with a small sentence, which is used as a misleading information. Because of "lawyer" and "father", we don't think of ponies as the subject. But this sentence is a parallelism, between two parts that are constructed the same way, and that brings an equal importance to the two words "lawyer" and "father". Because of the way the sentence is constructed, "lawyer" and "father" have the same value, an important one, that defines the two aspects of the character. A lawyer is someone that we can trust, someone that gives a big importance to truth and justice. A father is protective, and cares for his family.
The second sentence is here to bring even more importance to the first one. We also have a parallelism between the lawyer and the father aspect, which are explained. If the first sentence was here to trick the public into thinking that this song isn't about ponies, the second one is there to support the previous statement. Again, what's important is that a lawyer is honest, and that a father cares for his family.
The third one, however, while keeping the parallelism going, brings a new explanation. We knew what the character is doing, now we know that he is succeeding in it. We have the idea of profit, without the type of profit being mentioned. Here, the character is making money, but we don't know if it's by being honest. It's probably by selling apples, who knows...
But with the second part of the sentence, "I have a happy family", we know that it's being a 'father', or, moreover, by taking care of his family.
The fourth sentence, however, brings a break. We have a tertiary rhythm, instead of a binary one. Along with that, we aren't talking about the lawyer/father thing. No, we know that the character has a busy schedule. He has "so much money", and "a happy family", but not without a price. You see, the character is being honest here by breaking the stanza that way, reminding us that he has a hard work, and that he has to feed an entire family.

I talk well by the rules and (I) do my best to care for my kids,
(I) Got so much money, I got a happy family

Applejack
image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
Post edited by Gouchnox on
Tagged:

Comments

• GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,345Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Stanza 2:
    I am a student, I've got PHDs,
    I majored in Drama, Science, Laws, Music, Philosophy
    I'm an example, every body wants me
    But none of it matters since I'm just sit collectin' cookies.

Here again, we start with a brief parallelism presenting the character. But, we don't know his/hers sex. We have student, I'm sure we all know what it means, and PHDs. I could check that up, but I'm lazy. (that's why I'm writing this short text).
    The second sentence is pretty interesting. We have an accumulation. When the first character had two aspects, this one only has a major one: studying. And we have more. This is an positive accumulation, meaning that the author is probably overacting with the list of positive aspects this character has. So we know that this character is super cool. Aaaaaand, if we look at the list, we have many different topics, all of which the character is supposed to be good at. We're going from music, to science, and philosophy... This character is smart, cool, and has lots of positive aspects everywhere.
    (Oh and there's five of them. You know, laws representing honesty, and all that fun stuff)
    Next line. Hoooo, what have we got here ? A parallelism ! These are everywhere...
    So, 'and example', hum ? So yeah, this character is cool, has lots of capacities, is the smart one, is famous....
    Hum...
    Oh and if you were wondering why a parallelism when the two parts are basically the same ? Well, the first one is the 'example'. The character giving an example. Character→Others. And then, "everybody loves me". Others→Character. Since the action is the same on both sides, it puts on perspective the idea of superiority the character has. Because well written texts don't get too cocky.
    Last line: Oh yeah, this song is about Cookie Clicker.

Twilight Sparkle

Stanza 3:
    I am a party boy. I like to be.
    In clubs Twerkin' and Dancin', Bein' dumb with people like me
    I don't really mind cause I've got no self-esteem
    There's plenty to go around cause there's no 'I' in TEAM.

Again, starting a stanza by a parallelism, because good writing is stable writing. Oh, and we have another ambiguity ! Like with the first stanza, this is the second and only time we know the sex of the character. And, again, this is an information provided at the beginning of the stanza (1, and 3). Why those ? Because they are right after a chorus, or at the beginning of the song. This is here, when the person listening doesn't focus his full attention, as a reminder that these aren't ponies.
    So yeah, "party boy". Hum... That reminds me of "Party pony" for some reason... Oh well. We have a completely different train of thoughts from the last stanza. This character likes to partey. A lot.
    In the second sentence, we get a nice tertiary rhythm. But instead of the formal feeling this usually adds to a text, this one is cleverly used to provide a feeling of habits. Because the three words "Twerkin'", "Dancin'", and "Bein'" are similar in their pronunciation and rhythm, it really adds a sorta usual on-going action. It's the first time we hear this sentence, but we know that the protagonist is Twearking, Dancing and Being [...] really often, almost like an everyday habit. So, we conclude by the feeling that this character is partying a lot, in a never-ending loop.
    We have "people like me". Unlike with the previous stanza, this character is easily identifying himself with the others, partying with them.
    The third and fourth sentence is reinforcing this feeling, as we know that the character actually cares more about the others than him. He cares about cheering the others up, brining laughter to the crowd.

Pinkie Pie
    Stanza 4:
    I am a runner, I'm an athlete
    I like to run and be the fastest like a bolt of lightning
    Be number one, I want more medals, I want to win
    If I can't get there I can shoot adrenaline.

Guess how this is starting ? Yep. Good thing I only did the coloring stuff for the first stanza, so that you can understand the thing, because this is getting over the top. We can note here that a runner is a type of athlete, not the other way around. So, if the characters just says that he/she is a runner, we will know that he/she is an athlete. But athlete is a much stronger word than runner. So here, the character is bragging. With two words. Hell yeah.
    After that, we have a speed lexical field.... does lexical field even means anything in english ? Let's call it "words that are on a specific subject". Yeah. Much better.
    So, after that, we have some [...] speed. We have "run", "fastest", and "bolt of lightning". We have a gradation here, because it starts with simple running and ends at 400,000 km/h, the lighting speed (don't quote me on that). So, we have an accumulation with a tertiary rhythm, all in all with a gradation and, so to say, a metaphoric hyperbole. Yes, a metaphoric hyperbole. Metaphoric because it's like a lighting bolt, and hyperbole because "like a bolt of lighting" is a bit to much, don't you think ?
    So yeah, the character is fast, he/she is bragging because he/she is fast, and..... he/she is fast in case I've never mentioned it.
    Next line. It's pretty much the exact same thing than the last one. Tertiary rhythm, hyperbolic metaphor... or metaphoric hyperbole, as you like... the accumulation, the gradation...
    But the topic is different. Because if we were talking about speed, performance, we are now talking about winning. So yeah, more bragging...
    You guys do the last one, it's easy.

Rainbow Dash

Stanza 5:
    But I, got no one, I got no job, no talent that I'm good at,
    So I'm lying, in bed I am crying, wishing that I'll get lucky someday,

I'm crying, I'm crying, and whining, and whining
    wishing that I'll get lucky someday,
    I'm crying, I'm crying, and whining,

But none of it matters really since I just sit collecting cookies.

I can't speak of the first like without mentioning the O assonance. You know, "got" *2, "no" *3, "one", "job", "good".
    Back on track. Here, we have an accumulation, with all the comas, and the small expressions, that adds a whiny rhythm. We have the use of a lot of "I" and "no", so yeah, self esteem.
    I'm sorry, but here, I have to tell the character right off the bat.
    So... Scootaloo has no known family. She is the only CMC to have no parents, sisters, brothers, or even foreign uncles ! She is the definition of loneliness.
    She has no real job, of course, she is a filly. But she is a pegasus that can't fly. The only thing that can make her special, the only thing that she could at least have, it's the ability to fly. Oh, and what do you have when you're not able to do something basic for your kind and you're at school ? You get bullied.
    No talent. Here, talent is an obvious metaphor for a cutie mark. Again, let me recap: she doesn't have a family, she doesn't have any talent, she can't even fly, she is bullied.
    And do we see her sadness ? Do we see her cry in the corner ? Nope. Because she has found a group some people like her, where she can be herself.
    Line two... Can I say it ? Can I say that there is an I assonance ? Just count all the "y" and "i"...
    So yeah, tertiary rhythm, habit, we know all that. But we have something else, right ? Yup. We first have "in bed". So, it's hidden. We don't see Scoodaloo crying, but we can imagine how her nights are, all alone...
    Oh, and yeah, "lying". Because we don't see her sadness. Again.
    Oh and "wishing that I'll get lucky someday". Now, stop thinking about Daft Punk, and consider how she is stalking Rainbow Dash. Yeah, the sister that she never had.
    Mmm... Erm... More whiny rhythm... again... hum...
    Oh and this song is still about Cookie Clicker, little reminder at the end there.
    Yeah, I think that's it.

One last thing ? Ye.
    We have a constant anaphora of "I am" at the beginning of each stanza... "I got"... yeah, basically, the author is abusing the "I" to trick us with the construction of the song, so that we don't get who is who, and all that fun stuff with "father" and "boy". Oh and do I have to mention that each stanza follows a hopper shape ? You know, form general stuff to precise stuff. The more we go in each stanza, the more explicit the sentences are on the topic.
    And each stanza starts with the same construction of sentences, again, to trick us so that we confound the characters.

(5642 characters above the limit)
  • FiremanFireman Posts: 653Member ✭✭✭
    That sounds pretty interesting. Even though I am not an MLP fan myself, your interpretation sounds pretty good!
    There was once a witty signature around here...
    Oh wait, there still is!

THANK YOU SAMEJIMA
  • ShylightShylight Posts: 6,470Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Mod
    Damn dude, that's one in-depth analysis. I, for one, am happy that you took your time to write it. :heart:
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
    I know the speed of light !
    But the speed of lighting is different !
    Gouchnox said:

I know the speed of light !
    But the speed of lighting is different !

• DarthCookieDarthCookie Posts: 5,618Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger, Conversationalist Mod
  • TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,403Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    Shylight said:

Damn dude, that's one in-depth analysis. I, for one, am happy that you took your time to write it. :heart:

My conversation fetish agrees <3
    On a scale from 1 to Pony, how would you rate this rambling ?
  • TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,403Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    Gouchnox said:

On a scale from 1 to Pony, how would you rate this rambling ?

Horse.
  • The_Deranged_UmbreonThe_Deranged_Umbreon Posts: 2,620Member ✭✭✭
    This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen...
    And by the way, now I know about this guys existence, and he is awesome! So thnaks :D
    "This is when I browse the recent changes list and see if people are being poopy pants." ~ILikeTrains (Wiki friend) "you dont choose to be gay, you just have to be lucky." ~TFU_Satron "WHAT?" ~Zuptin "Did you just call me a flying monkey?" ~Opti "Absol utely." ~Kirdneh "Is your face really necessary?" ~Gouchnox
  • YoukCatYoukCat Posts: 1,750Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Nevermind, ignore this post.
    http://cavemurder.prophpbb.com/
    That's my forum game website!
    Adopt one today! Adopt one today! Adopt one today! Adopt one today!
  • CookiewoodstockCookiewoodstock Posts: 16,335Member, Flagger ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    F*ck there was a typo in the title.
    Gouchnox said:

F*ck there was a typo in the title.

Eh, shit happens.
    Hey, that's my quote !
  • AuroyaNovoAuroyaNovo Posts: 5,528Member, Friendly, Cool ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everypony else, glad you took your time to write this :3

But there is something in the Twilight part that bothers me. The third line, "I'm an example, every body wants me" sounds too much like bragging to me. And that is something that doesn't go well with Twilight. She knows pretty well what she is capable of, but everypony wants her? That's too much in my opinion.
    "Creativity! It's basically just a lot of stealing." ~ Tom Thomas TomSka Ridgewell
    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power." ~ King Baldwin IV (Kingdom of heaven)
    alicorn