Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.
⚠️ The DashNet forums will be shut down on September 12th 2019.⚠️

Please see here for more information.

DarthCookie writes a story! (Preface/Foreword/TOC/About the Author)

DarthCookieDarthCookie Posts: 5,558Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger, Conversationalist Mod
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Preface: (Please read!)
This is a story that I hope you all enjoy. I want to turn this into the best story that I can possibly make. So, any sort of feedback, positive or negative, is not only appreciated, but requested. Thank you!
Also, to those of you that have been a part of Yarth Roleplay, I know that it appears that I am reusing the name "Tyngval" here, but technically, I'm just lazy and haven't

Foreword:
About a year ago now, I started to write the following story while working behind the Customer Service desk of a local supermarket. I had great plans for it, but a lack of motivation stalled the engines before it ever got off the ground.
Fast forward to now. I have enjoyed being a part of this community over these past weeks and have had moderate success in regularly updating over at the Yarth Forum Roleplay (I start here; it starts getting super intensehere) because of the kind words and actions of a fellow community member. So, I figured that this would be a good place to share my story because the community would help me to kick myself into gear to get the next part finished.

Table of Contents:

Part 1.
  • Prologue
  • Chapter One
  • Chapter Two
  • Chapter Three
  • Chapter Four
Part 2
  • Chapter Five
More stuff as I write it!

About the Author:

I was a lonely child. I didn't make more than a few friends. Because I struggled to understand social cues and craved attention, I didn't realize that I was being bullied; I just saw it as people noticing me. This is why, despite being diagnosed with ADHD, I loved to read and escape into different worlds. I hated when books or series ended because I was so attached to the characters. I kept searching out longer and longer books, reaching a 12th-grade reading level by 2nd grade. I read "The Lord of the Rings" and "Eragon" in 4th grade and fell in love with fantasy and science fiction, which I've been reading ever since.

Over the four years of high school, I managed to check out and read (other than the textbooks) more than 3200 books. My reading speed ranges from 2400-3500 WPM (the average/median is about 300) depending on sleep, caffeine, and protein levels as well as the density of the material (Fiction [other than people like Lewis Carroll or Douglas Adams, who like to make up words or Neal Stephenson who assigns new definitions to words] is easier to read than a college physics textbook or anything that uses a lot of Latin names).

My biggest inspirations are J.R.R. Tolkien, Michael Crichton, Christopher Paolini, Jim Butcher, and Timothy Zahn.

Edit:

10/6/14: Added Chapter Five (Did a bunch of backstory/behind the scenes work that hasn't made its way into the story)
10/3/14: Added Chapters Three and Four
10/1/14: Added Chapter Two, Added Tyngval’s description to Chapter One, Changed tense to Present, Moved Story to another post because Character limits.
10/1/14: Post created, includes Preface, Foreword, Prologue, Chapter One, and About the Author
Post edited by DarthCookie on

Comments