Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.
⚠️ The DashNet forums will be shut down on September 12th 2019.⚠️

Please see here for more information.

AuroyaNovos drawings collection

Comments

• TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,359Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    DasBloody said:

I honestly can say that I like PotC way more than Lotr. I mean, they got pirates! And Jack Sparrow!

It's tough for me because while I love PoTC's characters (especially Captain Jack of course), and battles (the fight over the key in DMC is my favorite one ever), I also love LoTR's world and genre of fantasy. I think if it had more worldbuilding, I would like it more.

In a flustered attempt to steer this post on topic, I'll come up with another request... Uh... Can you draw Discord? He's not a pony, but he's drawn in the same style! (And he is my favorite character :3)
  • GouchnoxGouchnox Posts: 6,475Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but I'm never gonna be able to get Inscape to work. It's too damn impossible and f*cking impossible and too hard and god what the f*ck I can't get this f*cking thing to work raaaaaaahhh !!!
    *cries even more in his corner*
    Guess I'm not smart enough to get this this thing to work.
    I mean.. look at the tutorial ! How am I gonna do this ! It's f*cking too hard for me I can't f*cking to this !

It'll take decades, but I'm doing this with gimp.
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
  • TelluriumTellurium Posts: 5,359Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Mod
    Gouchnox said:

I'm sorry but I'm never gonna be able to get Inscape to work. It's too damn impossible and f*cking impossible and too hard and god what the f*ck I can't get this f*cking thing to work raaaaaaahhh !!!
    *cries even more in his corner*
    Guess I'm not smart enough to get this this thing to work.
    I mean.. look at the tutorial ! How am I gonna do this ! It's f*cking too hard for me I can't f*cking to this !

It'll take decades, but I'm doing this with gimp.

It sounds like you gave up really fast. Things take a long time to learn, have patience! It'll probably take me a super long time to learn it, but I won't give up, because my want for delicious vectors is greater than my desire to go back to things I know!
    Tellurium said:

It sounds like you gave up really fast. Things take a long time to learn, have patience! It'll probably take me a super long time to learn it, but I won't give up, because my want for delicious vectors is greater than my desire to go back to things I know!

1: It's too damn random for me: How do you want me to learn how to use a tool that never does what I want it to do ! It's really easy to figure out vectors with gimp but they're crapping everywhere with inkscape !
    2: It's too damn hard: Look at this. Just. Look at it.

3: I just figured out what's wrong with my drawings. I still can't get the proportions wright. I still can't draw the f*cking goddamn proportions ! After all those wanabe-not-looking-like-trash ponies, I'm still messing up with the f*cking proportions ! I've never been good at drawing, never. All my drawings that didn't look like worthless piles of trash were shameful copycats. Because I can't draw ! And now, now that I find something that I'm actually "capable" of doing at least "right", I'm failing like a f*cking noob after dozens of attempts and I can't figure out how to use an easy program that a 6 years-old could use better than me !

The trust is: I'm lying to myself ! I'm f*cking lying by saying that "it looks good" or that "I made some progress", because those are damn lies ! You know the placebo effect ? That's it ! That's exactly it ! I'm just lying to feel good and hope that it's get better ! But at the end, the truth jumps right at my face !
  • AuroyaNovoAuroyaNovo Posts: 5,493Member, Friendly, Helpful, Cool ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gouchnox said:

Tellurium said:

1: It's too damn random for me: How do you want me to learn how to use a tool that never does what I want it to do ! It's really easy to figure out vectors with gimp but they're crapping everywhere with inkscape !
    2: It's too damn hard: Look at this. Just. Look at it.

3: I just figured out what's wrong with my drawings. I still can't get the proportions wright. I still can't draw the f*cking goddamn proportions ! After all those wanabe-not-looking-like-trash ponies, I'm still messing up with the f*cking proportions ! I've never been good at drawing, never. All my drawings that didn't look like worthless piles of trash were shameful copycats. Because I can't draw ! And now, now that I find something that I'm actually "capable" of doing at least "right", I'm failing like a f*cking noob after dozens of attempts and I can't figure out how to use an easy program that a 6 years-old could use better than me !

The trust is: I'm lying to myself ! I'm f*cking lying by saying that "it looks good" or that "I made some progress", because those are damn lies ! You know the placebo effect ? That's it ! That's exactly it ! I'm just lying to feel good and hope that it's get better ! But at the end, the truth jumps right at my face !
    You are actually lying to yourself when you say you didn't make progress. And trust me on this, I know it. I used to believe that myself.
    I mess up proportions pretty often, too. That's why I draw with pencils first. If I'm not satisfied I easily can fix it. And as always, it's learning by doing. I wouldn't have come that far with my ponies if I had stopped after my first attempt and saw what a weird abomination I had created. And, in fact, you don't have to say that your drawing is good. I didn't do that. But I knew that I wanted to draw ponies, and kept it going. My own drawings are still not perfect, but they are awesome, and I love them.
    You don't have to use inkscape if you don't want. Might even be better to go with the things you already know.
    You know when I was saying that I could use gimp ?
    I lied. It's freaking awful because I'm bad at it.
    And I'm gonna have to re-do all my oc again...
    An it will still be for nothing since I won't be able to inscape/gimp it to make it look better.
    Cause even if gimp can make vector curves, it can't do the cool-looking ones. The ones that are used for ponies. The ones that are bulky in the middle and thin at the ends.
    Raaaaah...
    It's just overwhelming at this point. I don't know anything that can make it look good, because I'm still freaking incapable of learning how to use inscape.
    It sounds to me like you should take a break. Watch a movie or something, come back to it later. When I get all worked up because I can't do something it does help to do that I think.

I think your main problem may be that you're expecting immediate results. I know how that is, I constantly just want to do one take and expect it to end up great, but the truth is that everything requires lots of practice. If you can accept that, it gets less maddening when it doesn't turn out like expected. Almost all the new building art in WD took multiple entire redraws due to fundamental mistakes, but I pressed on. Before I drew the two hands, I sketched a bunch of hands in my sketchbook; if I didn't do that, those two hands would have taken a lot longer to draw.

One thing that helps me is listening to music while I draw. It helps me relax, and distracts me from thinking negative things. You could try that if you don't already. If you do already, I recommend turning it up louder!
    Gouchnox said:

You know when I was saying that I could use gimp ?
    I lied. It's freaking awful because I'm bad at it.
    And I'm gonna have to re-do all my oc again...
    An it will still be for nothing since I won't be able to inscape/gimp it to make it look better.
    Cause even if gimp can make vector curves, it can't do the cool-looking ones. The ones that are used for ponies. The ones that are bulky in the middle and thin at the ends.
    Raaaaah...
    It's just overwhelming at this point. I don't know anything that can make it look good, because I'm still freaking incapable of learning how to use inscape.

Maybe you should take it slow. Impatience is something that doesn't go well with drawing. I started by colouring ponies with pencils, and kept that going for over one year. My first real digital coloured pony actually was Telluriums Lyra (I did an colouring attempt with PStouch, but it was reeeeally awful, and I didn't continue it since PStouch simply is too limited)
    Just draw like you want to draw, you don't have to listen to anypony. The only limits out there are the ones you set yourself.

And, btw, making a pretty nice vector pony takes pretty long. It's all about patience.
    Tellurium said:

I think your main problem may be that you're expecting immediate results.

And I f*cking know it. That's where the problem is. But I can't get over it because of some weird black magic.
    Tellurium said:

One thing that helps me is listening to music while I draw. It helps me relax, and distracts me from thinking negative things. You could try that if you don't already. If you do already, I recommend turning it up louder!

TheLivingTombstone-Twitch-WoodenToaster-GeneralMumble-Aviators-AssertiveFluttershy-SimGretina-AwkwardMarina-AlexS-uTunder-MandoPony. I think I got that part right.
    @Shylight‌
    I'm done with the basic sketch, going for the CM now, then I decide what colors will be where :3
    Don't open this spoiler if you don't want to be spoiled ;)

edited September 2014
    I'm done with the sketch, but... she somehow looks like cadence now...

Edit: I might swap the coat- and hairfill colors, not sure yet.
    Edit2: But she is soo cute, I think I leave it like that :3
    Post edited by AuroyaNovo on
  • ShylightShylight Posts: 6,436Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Mod
    DasBloody said:

@Shylight‌
    I'm done with the basic sketch, going for the CM now, then I decide what colors will be where :3

Spoil me! She looks awesome. Can't wait for colors <3
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
    Shylight said:

DasBloody said:

@Shylight‌

Spoil me! She looks awesome. Can't wait for colors <3</p>
    Sweet, going for vector stuff then, but that should take a while ^-^
    edited September 2014
    yay me stealing my friends' paper to practice sketching yay

looks damn awful. oh well. t'was really fast. no excuses ? oh well.
    yeah, you're right. t's awful
    Gouchnox said:

yay me stealing my friends' paper to practice sketching yay

looks damn awful. oh well. t'was really fast. no excuses ? oh well.
    yeah, you're right. t's awful
    It's better than what I can do, so quit whining :p
    The back legs are off, so are the wings.
    I'm still messing up with the legs proportion, and they look awful.
    Regular stallion mouthes are not my cup of tea. Whatever, I'll put the mouth wherever I want.
    This tail is damn ugly. I didn't have a reference ? It's not an excuse !
    Those wings are-
    wait actually I kinda like them, even if they are not the show style. Guess that's my style.
    Those eyes are soulless.
    Well at least you can be proud of being a mod/coding/doing stuff with your life. Still waiting for a cutie mark here.
    Gouchnox said:

The back legs are off, so are the wings.
    I'm still messing up with the legs proportion, and they look awful.
    Regular stallion mouthes are not my cup of tea. Whatever, I'll put the mouth wherever I want.
    This tail is damn ugly. I didn't have a reference ? It's not an excuse !
    Those wings are-
    wait actually I kinda like them, even if they are not the show style. Guess that's my style.
    Those eyes are soulless.
    Well at least you can be proud of being a mod/coding/doing stuff with your life. Still waiting for a cutie mark here.

You know what? At least you know what you want to improve.
    edited September 2014
    If you want to do it, just keep drawing. You will get better, it's guaranteed. Since you seem to be having problems with most every aspect, I think the best thing to do now is draw tons, and use references. If there's some specific part that keeps giving you trouble, then you could come here for help.

Edit: Good point DasBloody (or should I say DasNINJA), it sucks when I don't know exactly what I need to improve about a drawing, it's good you know what to practice.
    DasBloody said:

Not knowing would be blindness at this point.
    Oh, I guess that it's just a sketch and I could obviously have made it better if I didn't have 5 minutes before my friend have discovered that his rough paper disappeared from his table. Is that even English ?
    Gouchnox said:

DasBloody said:

Not knowing would be blindness at this point.
    Oh, I guess that it's just a sketch and I could obviously have made it better if I didn't have 5 minutes before my friend have discovered that his rough paper disappeared from his table. Is that even English ?
    Well, I sometimes have trouble figuring out what I did wrong. The pony looks well, but a little bit weird at a certain point (like the Lyra I've done, the front legs kept bothering me and I couldn't find out what I've done wrong). Thanks to this thread, I now know it.
    My technique:
    Sketching it.
    30 minutes later, looking very carefully at it.
    And, therefore "how did I not noticed that this part was completely off ?"

Works every time.
    My technique:
    1. Start sketching it.
    2. Look at the appearing scribbles of mentally challenged infant.
    3. Weep in despair.
    Me trying to be smart about life:

Note: the "Me" only applies to regular adult pegasi, not fillies or alicorns.
    Gouchnox said:

Me trying to be smart about life:

Note: the "Me" only applies to regular adult pegasi, not fillies or alicorns.
    And you are trying to say that you can't draw wings? You just proved that you are a liar :o
    edited September 2014
    Gouchnox said:

My technique:
    Sketching it.
    30 minutes later, looking very carefully at it.
    And, therefore "how did I not noticed that this part was completely off ?"

Works every time.

Actually, this is exactly my technique. With just two more steps:

Steps 4-???. Repeat process
    Step ???+1. Give up, say "good enough".

Edit: Oh, and those wings look good!
    My usual technique just includes "draw a pony", I'm not sure if I have different steps. I just draw it until it looks awesome and/or cute.
    I had references. (except for the last one of course).
    It's easy once you have references.
    The one thing that I remembered about my drawing lessons (man, I was like half of my current age), is how to copy stuff. That's why I said that the only thing that I can draw good are shameful copycats. Because I know how to copy stuff pretty well.
    You see that Cheerelie ?

I made it before knowing about construction drawing. Before learning about drawing ponies. I just copied a bunch of parts together ! (oh and it's at real size too)
    That Cheerelie was made before this:

edited September 2014
    DasBloody said:

My usual technique just includes "draw a pony", I'm not sure if I have different steps. I just draw it until it looks awesome and/or cute.

I have technical steps like 1) sketch 2) lines 3) colors 4) finalizing, but I don't really have any real steps inside those, so I get your point.

Gouchnox said:

The one thing that I remembered about my drawing lessons (man, I was like half of my current age), is how to copy stuff. That's why I said that the only thing that I can draw good are shameful copycats. Because I know how to copy stuff pretty well.

There is nothing shameful about copycats, as long as you don't try to claim credit for them! I think the main way to learn to draw is by copying artists you love, and slowly moving out of straight copies eventually working towards drawing your own stuff. That's exactly how I learned to draw, anyway.
    Tellurium said:

There is nothing shameful about copycats, as long as you don't try to claim credit for them! I think the main way to learn to draw is by copying artists you love, and slowly moving out of straight copies eventually working towards drawing your own stuff. That's exactly how I learned to draw, anyway.

I've copied a lot of ponies before knowing how to draw them. I can tell you that that didn't helped at all. I learn everything from this video.

*Looks at the thread list*
    Gardevoir-pony ? Make your choice.
    edited September 2014
    Gouchnox said:

You see that Cheerelie ?

I made it before knowing about construction drawing. Before learning about drawing ponies. I just copied a bunch of parts together ! (oh and it's at real size too)
    That Cheerelie was made before this:

The main problem with the second one is improper perspective, IMO. For some reasons both front legs are in front of the body, and the eye… Ok, the eyes can be tricky, I know that. I'd suggest training to draw eyes separately. Most of the time on a sideways drawing you don't want the second eye to be visible at all.

As shown by your crappily traced sketch here:

Now, if you want to draw a pony not-completely-sideways, you need to remember one important thing: pony head base is a circle. Eyes do not leave that circle. You mark out the nose and then fit the eye in the circle (another crappily traced example is coming)

I've messed up proportions a bit, but you should get the gist of it. The more of eye is visible, the closer you are to looking in it directly. Just compare the picture above to this one:

I admit, it's even crappier >_>

Tl;dr: find a good guide on eyes, practice drawing them.