Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Quest for Infinity Alpha Testing

apotheosisapotheosis Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Games - Old
Hey all. I've been working on an IGM title I'm calling Quest for Infinity. It is far from complete but I was hoping some of you could play it a bit and give me feedback. Primarily I am looking for balance. What's good, what's overpowered, what's underpowered, what's overpriced, what's underpriced etc etc.

The game revolves around trying to get as high a score as possible. Score however does not directly buy you upgrades (though it does unlock some). You instead buy upgrades with Idle Tokens (which buildings generate over time) and Clicks (you can guess how you get these). This allows you to play either heavy on the Idle side or heavy on the Clicking side but you need a bit of both to progress. Also this game features free buildings and free upgrades. These are so you have something to help/work on if you get stuck or are waiting to be able to afford the next building/upgrade.

Please note that this game is FAR FROM COMPLETE. Before I release 1.0 I will be adding:

-12 additional buildings
-hundreds of upgrades
-many achievements
-a custom style sheet
-a background
-additional resources and game mechanics

So please, give me feedback as to how the game is balanced thus-far so I have an idea of what to work on going forward. After I get a decent amount I will close the alpha and then release a much closer to complete beta when its ready. Thanks!

http://orteil.dashnet.org/experiments/idlegamemaker/?game=2wZ1bf0y

Comments

• Anon9mousAnon9mous Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive for such a simple concept! I got all of the free upgrades, and I'm now working on getting 100 of everything.
    "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some braining to do." ~Dasbloody
    "I'm about 0% sure that that is correct." ~Kirdneh
  • lennonluiz0907lennonluiz0907 Member, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You buy thousands of idle blobs, and then it goes from 0 to infinity and so does your Idle Token Total... Which forces you to hard reset.
    The best people in the world are the ones that try to make others feel better about life.
    The best feeling in the world is seeing someone smile for the first time in a long time.
    The best moment in the world is when you hear a heartfelt thank you.
    The best thing in the world is a hearty hug when you're feeling lonely.
    The best remedy in the world is helping others when you feel unable to help yourself.
  • apotheosisapotheosis Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Alright so first step will be a nerf to idle blobs. Also as a note, upgrades go up to 350 on all buildings (except blobs and ants)
  • lennonluiz0907lennonluiz0907 Member, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright so first step will be a nerf to idle blobs.

Make them cost a single Idle Token instead of 0.
    The best people in the world are the ones that try to make others feel better about life.
    The best feeling in the world is seeing someone smile for the first time in a long time.
    The best moment in the world is when you hear a heartfelt thank you.
    The best thing in the world is a hearty hug when you're feeling lonely.
    The best remedy in the world is helping others when you feel unable to help yourself.
  • FlamesFlames Member Posts: 582 ✭✭
    THUS GANE IA TNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN EUTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    (this game is toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy)
    Anti-Thanksgiving Collation Leader

I really don't understand what the qualifications of getting into a quote are. - Anon9mous
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,188
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I had a dream my life would be
    So different from this hell I'm living
    So different now, from what it seemed
    Now life has killed the dream I dreamed
    Zyzzyzus said:

Alright so first step will be a nerf to idle blobs.

Make them cost a single Idle Token instead of 0.
    Better to make it cost 0.0000001 so it is almost free for the first few but make the price increase for them 130% or something. Depending on how many you want to be 'almost free'.

Or you could restrict how many can be bought.
    That's a really good idea. Right now how many blobs does it take for the game to break?
  • TelluriumTellurium Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Posts: 5,360 Mod
    I love the free stuff concept, +1. You also managed to make a game where using multibuy is cheating, which is pretty funny.

I think the number one thing this needs at the moment is a stylesheet, the default one is so bad.
    Tellurium, would you be willing to barter? What can I offer you in return for you making me a kick ass custom stylesheet?
  • 1234abcdcba43211234abcdcba4321 Member, Friendly, Flagger, Conversationalist Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    *BlobofBlobs -"Blobs make blobs more blobby. Point Blobs are <b>.1%</b> more effective per blob." -unlocks at 100 PointBlob -costs 30 Click -multiplies efficiency of PointBlob by 100.1% per PointBlob -named Blob of Blobs *Regeneration -"Manual scoring is <b>.1%</b> more effective per PointBlob." -unlocks at 500 PointBlob -costs 70 Click -multiplies efficiency of Score by 100.1% per PointBlob -named Regeneration *BlobMass -"Is it many blobs or just one giant blob? Point Blobs are <b>.03%</b> more effective per blob." -unlocks at 1000 PointBlob -costs 100 Click -multiplies efficiency of PointBlob by 100.03% per PointBlob -named Blob Mass

It shouldn't be 100.1, it should be 0.1. Just so you know.

Also you should make an expensive building that slowly gives you point blobs :)
  • TelluriumTellurium Friendly, Cool, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist, Turquoise Posts: 5,360 Mod

Tellurium, would you be willing to barter? What can I offer you in return for you making me a kick ass custom stylesheet?

Just take the WD stylesheet. You could move the boxes around a bit if you have a configuration you like better.

I think if I tried to make a stylesheet I would just end up making the WD stylesheet again because that's my favorite configuration of boxes :P
  • IdlerIdler Member, Wiener, Double Wiener Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be good if you had to cost 20 Idle Token for a blob.
    "Banned for not putting your quote to signature." - Tellurium

*BlobofBlobs -"Blobs make blobs more blobby. Point Blobs are <b>.1%</b> more effective per blob." -unlocks at 100 PointBlob -costs 30 Click -multiplies efficiency of PointBlob by 100.1% per PointBlob -named Blob of Blobs *Regeneration -"Manual scoring is <b>.1%</b> more effective per PointBlob." -unlocks at 500 PointBlob -costs 70 Click -multiplies efficiency of Score by 100.1% per PointBlob -named Regeneration *BlobMass -"Is it many blobs or just one giant blob? Point Blobs are <b>.03%</b> more effective per blob." -unlocks at 1000 PointBlob -costs 100 Click -multiplies efficiency of PointBlob by 100.03% per PointBlob -named Blob Mass

If it was .1 wouldn't it then decrease the efficiency by 90% per PointBlob?
  • ZanmornZanmorn Member Posts: 3

If it was .1 wouldn't it then decrease the efficiency by 90% per PointBlob?
    No, he's correct.
    It's really easy to test, too: buy 100 blobs to unlock the upgrade, sell 99, then purchase the upgrade. The score per second increases to 2 (i.e. a 100% increase) instead of 1.01.

The mistake is understandable, as I don't think IGM is very consistent; the price increase is 100+x%.

Incidentally, maybe try making the Point Blob cost 1 Idle Token and give it the property "-price increases by 100%". 1 Idle Token is a pittance, so it's as good as free, but it might stop it from looping the Idle Tokens to infinity.
    Alternately, you could just make it a part of your game. I mean, it IS the "Quest for Infinity." =P
    Okay, looks like I've got a lot of rebalancing to do.
  • CalamityCalamity Member, Friendly Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good game its just really imbalanced

• PTpirahnaPTpirahna Member Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Is this quest for infinity similar to that one in the Ninja Kiwi forums? (Some people will know)
    do you notice this text
  • japanmanjapanman Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    I like it, very fast paced. We could try for Bicentennial! 8.5/10
    /
  • CSHastyCSHasty Member Posts: 5
    edited September 21
    Anon9mous said:

Very impressive for such a simple concept! I got all of the free upgrades, and I'm now working on getting 100 of everything.

Quick question and I'm aware of the necrobump: how many free upgrades are there?
    Edit: never mind. Just reached the last one.