Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

So, is the grandmapocalypse worth it?

CookiexiationCookiexiation Posts: 1Member
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
I'm a fairly newby player i started 3 days ago and I have 270milion cps and when before i first bought the "One Mind" upgrade i saved my gamecode so I could go back, i started by noting that the grandmapocalypse doesn't give me nothing good and it ruins some of the game experience for me. So what I decided to do Is, beat the whole game (whole achievments and 100 of everything) except of course the restart ones, and then at the end buy all of those grandma upgrades at once.

What do you guys think about this? Please express your opinion and thanks :p

Comments

• GraablarblGraablarbl Posts: 4Member
    It gives you some useful upgrades, but it's annoying to go through if you don't already have the money to end it fast.
  • RachelRachel Posts: 245Member
    No, that's a silly idea. There's some very very good upgrades from it.
  • SuffragiumSuffragium Posts: 44Member
    My 181 grandmas produce almost 40 million WITHOUT the multiplier, which isn't too far away from what my time machines produce. The upgrades are definitely worth it. Besides, the Elder Pledge is very cheap in the beginning.
  • DanielKingDanielKing Posts: 1Member
    It depends on your play style. The percent Cps upgrades are useful if you have most of the achievements and the kitten upgrades, since they stack, and the extra Cps from the doubled or quadded grandmas is good. You just have to be careful clicking the cookies. If you have enough, you might as well get all the upgrades and then make the covenant, and you'll actually come out ahead Cps-wise.

Fun fact: it's easy to get the 100 upgrades achievement with the 30 minute elder thing, since each use counts as a new upgrade.
    and then make the covenant,
    You mean buy pledges.
  • jnagyjrjnagyjr Posts: 154Member

Fun fact: it's easy to get the 100 upgrades achievement with the 30 minute elder thing, since each use counts as a new upgrade.

I'd like to dispute that. My upgrade count has not gone up since I started using pledges aside from the first time iirc.
    Proverbs 12:1
  • SinbadEVSinbadEV Posts: 234Member
    I believe that the pledges counting was a bug that was fixed... but I can't recall where I found this information.
  • Code14715Code14715 Posts: 174Member
    My only thought is that it's gonna take you several hours to research the rest. Might be a bit annoying, since if you get all the achievements and such, that's a decent time to restart.
  • Small chanse to get +666% cookie production rate > -130 million cookies.
    ;3
  • ShylightShylight Posts: 6,470Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Mod
    Grandmapocalypse is certainly good for mid-game on first playthrough. However, if you've amassed a decent amount of heavenly cookies, for second+ playthroughs it's rather useless, as you can get to the point where fully boosted grandmas are as useless as basic ones very quick. Especially now that we have antimatter condensers.
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
    Shylight said:

Grandmapocalypse is certainly good for mid-game on first playthrough. However, if you've amassed a decent amount of heavenly cookies, for second+ playthroughs it's rather useless, as you can get to the point where fully boosted grandmas are as useless as basic ones very quick. Especially now that we have antimatter condensers.

Lol. Wow.

Multiplier is universal. Meaning, in terms of efficiency and cost to output ratio, multiplier doesn't make a damn difference. Or, in other words, if grandmas are useless when you have heavenly chips, then they're useless when you don't.

Shylight said:

You're crazy. Grandmas are currently giving me about 5% of my total cps, plus an extra 15% multiplier from the upgrades.
    Code14715 said:

Lol. Wow.

Multiplier is universal. Meaning, in terms of efficiency and cost to output ratio, multiplier doesn't make a damn difference. Or, in other words, if grandmas are useless when you have heavenly chips, then they're useless when you don't.

As a matter of fact they are. At least in endgame. At the end of my first run I was making 21b cookies per second with fully upgraded grandmas contributing whooping 64 millions. Sure, I wasn't using the most efficient buying method, but numbers wouldn't change that much.

HCs just make getting to such point much easier, reducing the amount of time when elder frenzy rules the day and grandmas' contribution is actually noticeable.

Currently I'm at my second day of second playthrough, I'm making ~32b per second and most of my income comes from golden cookies. I don't think that buying one mind will actually increase my income enough to make me once again go through annoyance of elder pledges.
  • Jordan57649Jordan57649 Posts: 43Member
    ok,ok, you get a upgrade every 30 minutes, and by the time you've "angered" (fleshy) the grandmacopalypse, you can buy pledges that stop it for 30 minutes (a upgrade makes it 1H) and there's a upgrade to stop it, also, if you sell all your grandmas it will end, until you buy another, then it starts off where you left off, so I don't think its worth it im definitely not gonna start acopalypse I have my own page like this
    Oh, it totally worth it on first playthrough. It's a path to some achievements and you definitely want them.
  • SkyBaneSkyBane Posts: 4Member
    Shylight said:

Code14715 said:

Lol. Wow.

As a matter of fact they are. At least in endgame. At the end of my first run I was making 21b cookies per second with fully upgraded grandmas contributing whooping 64 millions. Sure, I wasn't using the most efficient buying method, but numbers wouldn't change that much.

HCs just make getting to such point much easier, reducing the amount of time when elder frenzy rules the day and grandmas' contribution is actually noticeable.

Currently I'm at my second day of second playthrough, I'm making ~32b per second and most of my income comes from golden cookies. I don't think that buying one mind will actually increase my income enough to make me once again go through annoyance of elder pledges.
    The math here is wrong. You must be going by the rollover of what each building is providing, which doesn't include any of the non-building specific multipliers. Add them all up next time you look and you'll notice it. Fully upgraded grandmas compound very quickly. with all 103 upgrades and no covenant (its cheaper to buy pledges at later stages), I have 189 grandmas and 117 portals. Each grandma is providing me with over 9 million cookies each unfrenzied, and that number will continue to go up the more I buy.

This is doubled by time machines, but at 95 time machines my next time machine will cost twice as much as my next grandma, making fully upgraded grandmas beyond amazing, and debateably the second best building in the game (antimatter condensers are just insane with their production, and by the time you are amassing them your numbers will be high enough that cost isnt as big a factor).

tl;dr: Grandmas are a top tier late game building and if you dont fully upgrade them, you're hurting your cp/s. hard.

P.S.: Golden cookies are limited by your cp/s, so hurting your cp/s by not fully upgrading your grandmas also limits your golden cookie income.
    Thank you for fully explaining, Sky. I have, in the past, suggested that the rollover include the multiplier. It only makes sense to.
  • SkyBaneSkyBane Posts: 4Member
    To further clarify, Grandmas are very close to my 2nd best producing building at this stage. The issue is Antimatter is just soooo good right now. My current breakdown of percent contribution to my cp/s is as follows (amount owned in parenthesis):

Antimatter Condensers (86)- 82%
    Time Machines (95)- 8%
    Grandmas (189)- 5%
    Cursors (196)- 3%
    Everything Else (803)- 2%

Grandmas are fantastic when compared to everything else, and when you consider they get better as you buy more, its easy to see how they are a cp/s leader. I'd argue the issue is just that antimatter condensers are far, FAR too good. They dwarf every other building hard. So until you can start massing antimatter condensers (I have 86 in this calculation), fully upgraded grandmas are very good.
  • sum18ourdonutssum18ourdonuts Posts: 11Member
    Are we talking about CLASSIC cookie clicker? I play the new one and I have not yet made it to the Grandmapoclyapse. If it is the new cookie clicker, I have something to look forward to! :)
  • CookieFarmCookieFarm Posts: 91Member

Are we talking about CLASSIC cookie clicker? I play the new one and I have not yet made it to the Grandmapoclyapse. If it is the new cookie clicker, I have something to look forward to! :)

Yeah, this is the new Cookie Clicker.
    Some people call me a Cookie Clicker. Others just know me as Underrated1.
  • AnterakAnterak Posts: 192Member
    SkyBane said:

tl;dr: Grandmas are a top tier late game building and if you dont fully upgrade them, you're hurting your cp/s. hard.

Well, if you consider that everything, besides AC, Time Machine and Cursors, are really worthing anything, of course you could consider Grandmas to be "top tier". :)

Actually I'm pretty sure Cursors are above (when you get 200 and "Quintillion Fingers" upgrade), because they benefit greatly from all other buildings, and not just Portals and other Grandmas.
    Anterak said:

Actually I'm pretty sure Cursors are above (when you get 200 and "Quintillion Fingers" upgrade), because they benefit greatly from all other buildings, and not just Portals and other Grandmas.

Nope.
  • 1234abcdcba43211234abcdcba4321 Posts: 9,712Member, Friendly, Flagger, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Each grandma gets 655.36 CPS for every grandma you have when fully upgraded. That's an INCREDIBLE increase. As well, they gain 1638.4 for every portal! That's AMAZING!

Also, if you're wondering... yes, it is worth the 500 billion every hour.
    SkyBane said:

The math here is wrong. You must be going by the rollover of what each building is providing, which doesn't include any of the non-building specific multipliers. Add them all up next time you look and you'll notice it. Fully upgraded grandmas compound very quickly. with all 103 upgrades and no covenant (its cheaper to buy pledges at later stages), I have 189 grandmas and 117 portals. Each grandma is providing me with over 9 million cookies each unfrenzied, and that number will continue to go up the more I buy.

Ok. Let's talk math. 168 grandmas and 108 portals (my current amount) add up to 211,681 CPS per grandma, or 35,562,455 base total. With multiplier it would give me 1,966,959,386 CPS. While indeed somehow noticeable upgrade (4.1%) from my current CPS (47.836 billions per second) I still don't really see much necessity to purchase it. As I've said before: annoyance of having to buy elder pledges all the time outweighs this amount of usefulness for me.

I don't claim my way to be most efficient. I know it isn't. But I still don't see getting grandmapocalypse anytime soon.
    One extra click every hour is an annoyance?
    Missing that click as soon as it pops up and getting red cookie during frenzy is annoyance. And for me calm state of mind worth much more than extra cookies :P
    Shylight said:

Missing that click as soon as it pops up and getting red cookie during frenzy is annoyance. And for me calm state of mind worth much more than extra cookies :P

Lol, so you're there actively clicking golden cookies, but you can't buy pledge?
  • 1234abcdcba43211234abcdcba4321 Posts: 9,712Member, Friendly, Flagger, Conversationalist ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    I know, right? Buying the pledge comes in less often than a gold cookie, so it doesn't change much :/ (Besides, one mind gives a doubled grandma production from 40 grandmas. That's triple from 80, quadruple from 120, quintuple from 160. Then, communal brainsweep makes that triple from 40, quintuple from 80, septuple from 120, and nonuple from 160. Then, finally, elder pact makes a large increase, too.)
  • JebugJebug Posts: 1Member
    I think you should have 100 of everything up to TMs, and at least 50 of them, and probably 200 cursors, before you attempt it. That way you have the cps to come out on top no matter what.
  • MedaRebelMedaRebel Posts: 1Member
    Personally, I am a bit uncomfortable around spooky images like the Grandmapocalypse.