Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Syncing Deer and cookies

lolnopoundlolnopound Posts: 21Member
edited April 16 in General Discussion
I've read this a lot but how do I do this exactly? Do deer and cookies have similar respawn times? I read I should wait as long as possible to click a gold cookie to help sync it up. But if a deer and cookie are on the screen at the same time do I need to click them at the same time to keep them synced?

Comments

• pino_ppino_p Posts: 484Member ✭✭
    An upgraded golden cookie (Lucky day, Serendipity) and an upgraded reindeer (Weighted sleighs, Reindeer baking grounds) have an average spawn time of about 2 minutes after the previous one disappears. The golden cookie is a bit less predictable, as I modeled in Python, because its minimum and maximum times are farther apart. If you leave both alone, reindeer will cycle faster on average because a reindeer will disappear after 8 seconds, while a golden cookie will disappear after 52, and the appearance timer pauses while the popup is on screen.

But with attentive play, it's fairly straightforward to exert enough influence on these random walks that these timers become aligned. The one thing you can control is how long the popups stay on screen before you click them and restart the appearance timer. The goal of deer hunting is to click the red cookie within 12 seconds before clicking the deer. The way to ensure this is to click the red cookie right after the deer becomes visible. But if the deer spawns more than 6 seconds ahead of the cookie, this won't work so well.

I know of three ways to restore sync if the reindeer have pulled ahead.

• Let deer linger: One is to click golden cookies as soon as they appear but click deer when they're on the far right side of the window. (At least in Firefox for Linux, a deer can still be clicked while it overlaps the scrollbar to the right of the buildings.) This delays the deer by an average of 6 seconds each cycle, though variance may cause the deer to momentarily get even farther ahead.

• Wrap around: If the deer have pulled at least 20 seconds ahead, on the other hand, you may want to stretch the golden cookie timer on purpose. Click golden cookies just as they're fading back out of existence, which puts the reindeer so far ahead that they end up behind the next golden cookie.

• Ctrl+R: Saving and reloading the page will restart both the golden cookie timer and the reindeer timer. This became viable as of the "quality of life" update (April 9), which saves the state of the cute little things around your big cookie.

And if you're playing for sync, you'll run into these terms:
    • Eldeer: deer during Elder frenzy (x666)
    • Goldeer: deer during Frenzy (x7)
    • Clotdeer: deer during Clot (50%)
    • Missdeer: Elder frenzy and reindeer that failed to line up
    Sync in "awoken" state (One mind) doesn't produce nearly as many eldeer as sync in "angered"/full wrath state, but it does produce plenty of double goldeer.
    Hate necroposts? It could be worse. It could be dupes.
  • basketofpuppiesbasketofpuppies Posts: 2,320Moderator, Friendly mod
    Nicely done but you missed one two syncs.
    Cookie chain: which resets the whole which is somewhat out of your control. Though you can crash it early if you want.
    Season switch: Which is pretty reliable if you have a good timer in your head. The respawned deer is still not totes predictable but at least you can get it closer.
  • basketofpuppiesbasketofpuppies Posts: 2,320Moderator, Friendly mod
    The best method of all, of course, is to pray to BasketofPuppies for mojo. Mojo makes everything better.
  • ShylightShylight Posts: 3,198Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger mod

Nicely done but you missed one two syncs.
    Cookie chain: which resets the whole which is somewhat out of your control. Though you can crash it early if you want.
    Season switch: Which is pretty reliable if you have a good timer in your head. The respawned deer is still not totes predictable but at least you can get it closer.

Crashing chain early is the best way to align your deer, since it keeps cookie respawn timer at 3 seconds as long as you don't click GC.
    imageListen to the sound of my voice, soon you'll find you don't have a choice.
    Captured in the web of my song, soon you'll all be singing along!
  • AnterakAnterak Posts: 192Member
    If you don't mind playing with 3rd party scripts, with CookieMaster and its spawn timers, it becomes "easier" to keep them sync.

First you need to know that GCs appear around the 100 seconds mark, while deers appear around the 60 seconds mark. With that, and knowing that a deer stays 8 seconds on screen, a GC 52, and EF lasts 12, you can easily sync them.

When they are, if you want to keep them sync as long as possible (meaning until you get a chain), you have to anticipate the deer's spawn. Meaning you have to click on the GC, at the 60 seconds mark on the deer timer, even if the deer isn't here yet. Of course if the deer spawns before that mark, you have to click the GC. :)
    On top of that, wait as long as possible to click the deer (as long as it's within Elder Frenzy timer, of course), even with a EF running. You never know, 2 eldeers in a row are always possible. *winks*BoP*winks*

This way, by anticipating deer's spawns, you are always almost sure to get the GC to spawn before the deer. Sadly it's not always the case, because random and stuff. But most of the time... It works fine.

tl,dr : Use CookieMaster. :p
  • ShylightShylight Posts: 3,198Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger mod
    Anterak said:

tl,dr : Use CookieMaster. :p

Or don't. It has tendency of breaking your game on updates and turning it into lagfest :P
    imageListen to the sound of my voice, soon you'll find you don't have a choice.
    Captured in the web of my song, soon you'll all be singing along!
  • lolnopoundlolnopound Posts: 21Member
    I got it timed up, but I keep getting clicking frenzies with my deer now :( also chains suck
  • erdbeereerdbeere Posts: 1,540Member ✭✭✭

I got it timed up, but I keep getting clicking frenzies with my deer now :( also chains suck

If you get a cookie chain, don't click the second cookie in the chain. This way "normal" golden cookies appear 3 seconds after the last golden cookie, until you click a golden cookie. Thus you can wait for the reindeer to turn back up again and click the golden cookie then.
  • MasterSparkyMasterSparky Posts: 7,616Member, Internet Detective, Helpful, Flagger, Idle Game Master, Conversationalist ✭✭✭
  • StintheBeastStintheBeast Posts: 1,853Member, Cool ✭✭✭

Actually, the most optimal way to stop a chain is to click the first cookie, but not the second.
    Stopping at the first cookie: 10 second lifetime of cookie = chain stops after 10 seconds
    Stopping at the second cookie: 3 second respawn + 5 second lifetime = chain stops after 8 seconds

You are a God. Why did I never think of this?
    Bad kids are bad.

"It was totes lolarious" - BasketofPuppies

"911 what is your emerganc... hold on got an Elder Frenzy... "~sounds of frantic clicking - BasketofPuppies
  • lolnopoundlolnopound Posts: 21Member
    Thank you MasterSparky, I got a cookie chain, didn't click the second, as it faded a reindeer popped up, then right as it left my next Wrath Cookie popped up, Elder Frenzy and I got the deer just in time
  • I_HATE_MISDEERI_HATE_MISDEER Posts: 1,393Member

Actually, the most optimal way to stop a chain is to click the first cookie, but not the second.
    Stopping at the first cookie: 10 second lifetime of cookie = chain stops after 10 seconds
    Stopping at the second cookie: 3 second respawn + 5 second lifetime = chain stops after 8 seconds

Not if your reaction time really, really, sucks or you dont pay attention