Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.
⚠️ The DashNet forums will be shut down on September 12th 2019.⚠️

Please see here for more information.

Covenant gain during cookie chain; 7s vs 6s

QokoQoko Posts: 287Member ✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
I have been thinking this morning how an EP player can possibly abuse the low cost of Elder Convenant to increase the gains from a cookie chain. I came across this thinking when I switched to EP and immediately got a cookie chain, experiencing the difference between 6 and 7 increments. The simple math:

During EP, cookie chains only spawn wraths so with a 6 increment, during Covenant these are only 7 increments. With the increased CpS and hcs this can easily add up to a difference of 11.11Qa, 111.1Qa or even 1.111Qi. The Elder Covenant is only 66.66T. If one is aware that a 7 chain can be completed up to the last cookie, just buying the Covenant and immediately revoking it after hitting the last cookie can net quite a gain. I like to dub this the 7v6 switch.

Although the Covenant requires one Elder Pledge to become available, this is not a problem: the Pledge can be declared as a cookie chain appears, gain the 7v6 difference, then declare a Covenant and immediately revoke it to return to the Elder Pact. The net loss is a few tenths of cookies.

There are some drawbacks though. A few minor ones are that this can of course only be done in Elder Pact, the brief moment the Covenant is active CpS is decreased and the chain can end early. The latter two can be circumvented by activating the Convenant later; the actual gain only happens from 7.777Qa and on; keep the Pact active till this cookie is about to hit and buy the Covenant.

There is a major drawback though which undermines my own theory: declaring the Covenant pops wrinklers. As the cumulative time to spawn 10 wrinklers is roughly 16 minutes, I was in doubt whether popping wrinklers at every cookie chain is a gain rather than a loss. As the cookie chain gains rise (up to quints) this probably becomes less significant, but not many are there yet.

Am I completely wrong here or am I on to something? I just tested it, and the theory does work.

Comments

• ShylightShylight Posts: 6,436Moderator, Friendly, Helpful, Flagger Mod
    edited February 2014
    It's not worth the wrinklers IMO, however it might be a good tactic if you were getting ready to pop them anyway.

Although if Pledge → Covenant → Revoke combo really works as you describe it, it might be bettter to use it instead, in order not to lose CPS. It also should be noted, that bank and CPS requirements for 7s are higher, so you better consider that as well when switching.
    SparklebuttimagePurplesmart
  • QokoQoko Posts: 287Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Shylight said:

Although if Pledge → Covenant → Revoke combo really works as you describe it, it might be bettter to use it instead, in order not to lose CPS.

Ah yes, interesting. That actually voids the CpS decrease for the actual chain, making this tactic possible earlier. As Pledges are capped to ~4T this on its own compensates by not losing the CpS.
    Shylight said:

It also should be noted, that bank and CPS requirements for 7s are higher, so you better consider that as well when switching.

True, but the period to the next increment is much longer than the 6 to 7 gap. I'm now at 70T CpS; way above the 31T requirement for 777Qa, way off the 266T for 6.66Qi; the bank is slightly more, 3.1Qi instead of 2.6Qi, but in Elder Pact the bank matters less anyway. It's a matter of knowing the figures and keeping them intact.
  • basketofpuppiesbasketofpuppies Posts: 2,296Moderator, Friendly, Helpful Mod
    I used to do this too. It was actually a great tactic. On some days. The real loss is when you blow a EF after returning when your wrinklers have not respawned which was happening to me stunning regularity. So I started tracking it. I seem to be most likely to get a EF within three cookies of a chain for reason. This is prolly just an odd factor of my personal luck but the massive cps loss stopped me from using this tactic after a few weeks.
  • cvbdudecvbdude Posts: 90Member ✭✭
    Wouldn't this be extremely effective for getting switchdeer then when you're trying to get halloween cookies? Way I see it is...full wrinklers eating cookies, then chain happens, buy halloween season, buy pledge/covenant, revoke covenant, wait for EF, switchdeer, ????, profit $$$$
  • QokoQoko Posts: 287Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    cvbdude said:

Wouldn't this be extremely effective for getting switchdeer then when you're trying to get halloween cookies? Way I see it is...full wrinklers eating cookies, then chain happens, buy halloween season, buy pledge/covenant, revoke covenant, wait for EF, switchdeer, ????, profit $$$$

Theoretically it's right; the potential of unlocking Halloween cookies might make BoP's unlucky streak more bearable, but it doesn't add to the actual chance of getting a cookie chain, EF or Halloween cookies.

(...)which was happening to me stunning regularity. (...)

Maybe it's not so rare; the average spawn time of wrinklers is 16min; as you report getting at least an Eldeer per hour with your mojo, chances are kind of high to hit an EF before they respawn, the actual reason why I was doubting this idea myself :).