Use the search function before posting a thread. A similar thread might already exist!
Low FPS mode
  • keturnketurn
    Ahoy!

There is no reason this needs to run at 30 FPS when particle effects are off, and there's enough text rendering and alpha compositing going on that it uses a fair bit of CPU.

I've got a function here I use to lower the FPS, but to be complete I think the FPS needs to be stored in the save data, or timers like pledgeT and researchT need to be stored in seconds instead of ticks.

var lowFPS = function (Game) {
    var origFPS = Game.fps, newFPS = 4;
    var ratio = newFPS / origFPS;
    // FIXME: Resetting FPS mid-game may distort various counters, including including research
    // and pledges.
    Game.fps = newFPS;

Game.baseResearchTime = Math.round(Game.baseResearchTime * ratio);
    Game.goldenCookie.delay = Math.round(Game.goldenCookie.delay * ratio);
    Game.frenzy = Math.round(Game.frenzy.delay * ratio);
    Game.clickFrenzy = Math.round(Game.clickFrenzy * ratio);
    console.info("FPS lowered.");
    };
    Post edited by keturn at 2013-09-11 12:14:13
  • SellymeSellyme
    I definitely agree, there's no reason for the game to consume unnecessary resources, especially if it's idling overnight. It isn't too high priority, as pretty much any computer should be able to run it with all particle effects turned off, but since you've done half the work it shouldn't be too much hassle to implement.
  • ClickerofCookieClickerofCookie
    High/Medium/Low Quality buttons? Anyone?
  • BobBob
    When I turn all the current settings off, I can run it JUST fine, while watching 1080p youtube videos with a high quality stream running in the background. On a $250 chromebook.

It'd definitely be useful, but if a $250 chromebook can run it without it affecting performance in the slightest, I don't think it's too high priority. Although, he's already implemented something similar to this. So it's not too far out of reach for him to further implement it.
  • High/Medium/Low Quality buttons? Anyone?

I think that would be the best option rather than just lower the FPS to everyone
  • JacknoobXJacknoobX

High/Medium/Low Quality buttons? Anyone?

Yes please
    Hi.
  • kingneutronkingneutron
    --I will add to this and say that the slowest thing on everyone's PC is the screen :)

--Updating the cookie count at only 2x/second would speed the game up quite a bit, just sayin'

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.