Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.
⚠️ The DashNet forums will be shut down on September 12th 2019.⚠️

Please see here for more information.

[Game Version 1.9] SWEETLEAF TYCOON

SoUlFaThErSoUlFaThEr Posts: 66Member ✭✭
edited March 26 in Games
Hi guys,

Welcome to:

Game Link: http://orteil.dashnet.org/igm/?g=7aP5n3Hv

This is an idle clicker game about Mr. Joe Clicker and his innate desire to be the Kingpin, the Tycoon even, of the fabled Sweetleaf. Produce boatloads of good ol' Sweetleaf, research a perfect strand, get your Pristine Mother Plant and start the next Generation with her and begin selling it...and make gazillions with it and keep your money across Generations.

9 Updates: last updated 25.03.2019, Game version 1.9

Features in Version 1.9 so far:

11 "Generations" until game over, but you can play infinite Generations
3 Resources
120 Achievements
12 Production buildings
4 Special buildings
49 Production upgrades
10 Info Upgrades
5 Special Requirement info upgrades
2 Timed events
2 Random events

The game boasts a set of info upgrades that serve as a tutorial that also boosts you too!

A "Generation" consists of 3 phases: the Building Phase, the Bio Lab phase and finally the Research Phase.

Credits:
All icons, backgrounds+Joe were hand drawn in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and are 100% original material made specifically for this game.

Special thanks to Mylo for the all the testing and to True Wolves and morkeysherk Code assistance.

Thanks for playing Sweetleaf Tycoon!
Post edited by SoUlFaThEr on

Comments

• MyloMylo Posts: 132Member ✭✭
    orteil.dashnet.org/igm/?g=7aP5n3Hv

Best game in a while.
  • SoUlFaThErSoUlFaThEr Posts: 66Member ✭✭
    edited March 13
    Thanks Mylo.

Update 1

I have noticed a few strange things involving my background images that show up differently in other sizes/resolutions/monitors, so I have reverted to simplified images for the backgrounds of "Upgrades" and "Owned Upgrades". apparently using background-attachment:fixed in CSS has no affect here. Unfortunately the perfect placement of Joe himself on the floor of that "stage"......also gets thrown off on other resolutions or whatever.

A few very minor adjustments to balance have also been made. The Green colored "Mood Ghost" gives 3 Golden Thumbs now instead of 2 to help shorten the gap that exists before being able to purchase the "Tech Breakthrough" upgrade.

Added 2 "click" achievements (34 now) and adjusted the numbers on 2 others.
    edited March 13
    Update 2

Purchased upgrades now actually go to the Owned Upgrades box so you can see how you've advanced.

The end part of this, to build the Bio Lab to 100%....is a very long process.
    I will most likely add more upgrades as you progress through that "final" part of the game at 20%, 40%, 60% and 80%.

I also plan on adding a "Rebirth" type of ascension.

If anyone is playing please let me know. I feel like I am doing this for myself right now.
  • IronDizasterIronDizaster Posts: 42Member ✭✭
    Haven't played it for very long yet, but seems in a pretty good state, love the custom layout, and the border for achievements, that looks really nice too.

Visuals are a huge PLUS.

Can't rate the gameplay yet, since I haven't played it for long. But so far it seems one of the best games on Idle Game Maker, definitely up there with peanut butter cupper
    delayed update > rushed update
    edited March 14
    Wow thank you @IronDizaster , although in complexity/features etc......this was a 4 day project so far, so its nothing compared to PBC but hey, I'll get there eventually, still a lot to learn :D

In Version 1 it should take you a good 3 or 4 days (long days) to complete the Biolab. Please let me know any experiences or thoughts.
    edited March 15
    Update 3
    Game Version: 1.3

Due to Update 2 (v1.2) I've noticed some of the upgrades that were purchased before I fixed upgrades moving to the Owned Upgrades section were working, but looked funny and required a click to get the orange background. Either keep going or start a new game. Up to you :D It's purely visual.

Changes/Additions:
    1. I made and added 3 new custom Flare effects for Joe and his 2 Mood Ghosts. The game is now 100% custom made visual content. *proud* (Thanks to @morkeysherk for pointing me in the right direction on this. That guy is a genius.)
    2. Added certain "effects" to various things, even reduced some on others. I removed redundant "outlines" on upgrades and added transition/transform effects to buildings on mouse-over. These help make certain, along with background color changes, that you are going to click the right one.
    3. Added further conditions to the Medicated Mood Ghost (the green face that is too high to move anywhere) and allowed "High Time" to happen much earlier this way. High Time is a timed event given by clicking the Medicated Mood Ghost that doubles output of everything, including your clicks for a given amount of time. High Time is good time. Depending on your aquired upgrades he has a chance to "get Joe High" for different lengths of time and there is also a very small chance to get MORE Medicated Mood Ghosts on your screen. Pro Tip: Click an Angry Mood Ghost (the red bouncing one) during High Time and see how much it gives you....wow!
    4. I literally reworked the entire layout even if it doesn't look like it. It is now better prepared for further cool things that will come soon. This took a while...
    5. I added 2 hidden frames to keep the Mood Ghosts on your screen. They would sometimes spawn so far at the edge that this needed to be fixed.
    6. Mr. Clicker's tooltip now shows how many times he has been clicked so you can keep track. I will soon be adding stats for the Mood Ghosts too.
    7. I made a new face, a new frame and a 1-4 set of numbers for achievements and upgrade icon overlapping and updated the spritesheet for the following 2 additions and to accomodate for future upgrades.
    8. Added Mood Ghost Clicks to available "resources". This acts as a statistic and will later be part of some special calculations for further upgrades, so the more you click them, the better your upgrades will be.
    9. Added 5 new Achievements pertaining to Moon Ghost Clicks.
    Thanks for playing and enjoy your sweetleaf :D

@IronDizaster and @Mylo could you guys restart a game and let me know how it feels now....so much just changed in look and feel... or anyone else for that matter. Thanks :D
    edited March 15
    On it.

Edit: It already feels satisfyingly faster. You obtain Golden Thumbs earlier in the game at a faster rate. That's nice.

Edit: Came back to the game 4 hours later, it doesn't seem to be much easier compared to before...
    Post edited by Mylo on
    Hmmm not sure how to interpret that. to me it's an idle game. Something you should work on over time not be able to finish in one day, otherwise it get boring too quickly.

Maybe it's TOO slow to progress? I just dont want another game where you get to "upgrade some stuff" every 30 seconds...otherwise making an "ascension that makes it go faster" not worth much.......I remember my first time playing Clicker Heroes thinking.damn this takes forever....it got me hooked.

My changelog was filled with visual upgtrades, how did you like those? :D
    edited March 15
    I liked them. Beautifying upgrades and purchased upgrades was needed. I like how we can see how many clicks we have done on the main clickable and the randoms.

Game is still super slow, especially clicking in late game, does almost nothing.

Edit: 15 hours in my game run, I am nowhere close to the 100 billion mark for sweetleaves and I have all click upgrades purchased and done a massive amount of clicks (75k)

Edit: 17 hours in and I own all upgrades. (23 in case I miss some)

Edit: I have over 100 mood clicks and only one mood achievement. Is this intended?
    Post edited by Mylo on
    Ok so I have played it a little more, and I must say I quite like the slow progression, it adds a value to all the upgrades and it feels satisfying when you finally get them

I rate the gameplay a solid 8/10 (in my opinion)

Also, maybe you could add a new gimmick like you had to avoid the law? Since you are technically making drugs, it would be cool seeing some unique gimmicks like that in the late game

edited March 16
    @IronDizaster Ok great that's quality feedback. Yes it is meant to be slow so each upgrade has value. Perfectly interpreted there. - (8 of 10 gameplay): I hope to improve on that, remember this is a one week old game project right now hehehe

@Mylo also great feedback. I know the slow progress feels different and I am doing slight adjustments to make it a BIT faster but like IronD said, those upgrades are supposed to be giving you that "yeah finally did it!" feeling. I personally feel many games made with IGM play out too quickly and therefore have very little longevity amoung players, too many upgrades giving too big of boosts, helping the player lose sight of whats actually happening to even notice any changes made by those upgrades other than, its "super fast now"....Also if you read my posts near the top, I stated multiple times that getting to 100 Bio Labs is supposed to be a good 3 or 4 day experience if you play a lot. I am adding 4 upgrades for the Bio Lab specifically because thats REALLY is too slow right now, but again...so far it's a one week project :D You also mentioned getting that billion Sweetleaves, which is the Transport Company/Backdoor Markets stage.....you have to figure it out: buy more buildings! LOTS MORE. Lastly, the mood achievements has some strange numbers. You will get them across ascensions maybe the easiest, the highest number being 1999 (this is the first set of achievements meant for the long haul).

I will adjust clicking amounts, it is lower than i wanted it to be.

@All It's still very alpha! It is supposed to be more drawn out because I intend adding "ascensions" where you begin getting more strands of Sweetleaf (sort of like cookieclickers different cookie upgrades, but mine won't arbitrarily increase your production, they will increase your "yearly income" when the "business" part of the game is added).....and eventually it wont be about how many sweetleaves you have, but rather how much money you are making off your sweetleaf production!

My Idea of the ascensions is to add more strands and the business part. Imagine store#1 because it's legal now............#2, #3, the franchise across the nation.......the world?

After knowing this part of the plan, if I had fast playthrough gameplay in 15 hours and done......what would an ascension have to be like, to be even faster?......it just wouldn't be good or even worth it.
    How about a multiplicative increase, like 1% for first ascension, 2% for next etc.
    You will be happy with the next update. I have other things in mind than doing a "everyone does it like that" ascension. Stay tuned :D
    Incoming shocker:
    Update 4 - Balance pass #1
    Game Version 1.4

The shock is that I will ask you guys to start all over since so many balance changes have taken place. If you continue from where you are.....the flow of the new gameplay won't be noticed. I think it's a lot better.

This was a "OK Let's meet in the middle" balancing upgrade. I want to keep a longer path to the construction of the Bio Lab, but not make it a major drag, while having clicks feel like are worth doing and making a difference. You'll be able to buy more buildings a lot faster while waiting somewhat long for certain things to be purchasable. Much has changed in this upgrade! It's feeling already like a different game.
    1. Adjusted Bonii of all normal upgrades. You should now get far more sweetleaves/click as you progress. Clicking should actually matter now.
    2. Your clicks are now actually doubled during High Time as with the rest of all sweetleaf production.
    3. Added Sweetleaves per click bonii to all Golden Thumb upgrades.
    4. All Golden Thumb Upgrades give far more Golden Thumbs/click and per upgrade with slight chance% changes.
    5. Changed a huge amount of descriptions, gearing them towards gameplay planned further down the road.
    6. The first one of Planting and Golden Thumb upgrades are avalable to view after the first click now.
    7. Added many special "Info Upgrades" that offer gameplay information, Special Requirements and strategies. They each cost a super cheap price of 1 sweetleaf and gain you 1 sweetleaf per click. Think of them as a mini tutorial.
    8. Many buildings and upgrade prices have changed in this balancing act.
    9. Some Requirements were changed. Don't be shocked if the numbers got bigger!
    10. Added 9 more Achievements in the buildings department
    One strange bug occured during testing: Some of my buildings that needed special requirements just suddenly disappear during a time when not only dashnet, but also pastebin were "having difficulties". If that happens to you try to remember what you did when they disappeared. Knowing this could help me find any bugs.

Again: to get the new feel of the gameplay in 1.4, please start over. I actually got to the purchase of the first Bio Lab purchase + its first new upgrade on day 1 this time.
    Clicking feels so much more rewarding now. Can't wait for ascension.
    edited March 17
    Possible to remove Golden Thumbs reward from ghosts? Maybe replace it with something else? How about +1 sweetleaf per click?

Edit: Game progress seems to slow down at around the billion mark. Hopefully your next update will help with that.
    The way to positively see how clicking is rewarding, is by watching the speed of those "time to buy" readings on buildings.....click for 5 seconds and stop....and see how the timer slows down :D

Tell me why you think I should remove Golden Thumbs from Mood Ghost loot.

Did you start the game over? I mean how in the hell did you get to the billion mark in a half an hour to then, notice a major slow down?

The new biolab upgrades cost and advantages are a first pass. These upgrades will fill the void once tweaked right.
    edited March 17
    I started the game over. Golden Thumbs come from clicking. Mood Ghosts giving 1-6 of them make no sense, since if you click a lot, you get a lot of them from there and then later on you unlock Thumbs per second upgrades and buildings. When you unlock the last clicking update and start buying the other updates, your progress slows down, if you can click super fast, I should have noted that.

Edit: I wasn't aware there were upgrades for the last building. These seem to be powerful. I'll let you know in a few hours.
    Sorry for doing all this so fast....new Update already!
    Update 5 - Balance pass #2
    Game version:1.5

I fixed the disappearing building bug. It was cause by those buildings own requirement for "saving up" Golden Thumbs, rather than requireing a total earned amount. As soon as you spent your Thumbs below the req, the Building(s) would disappear and reappear when the requirement was met again. This was not intended.
    1. Balanced the price of Greenhouse Farms.
    2. Fixed some info upgrades texts and titles for clarity.
    3. Street Peddler production bonus increase from 15% to 50%.
    4. Backdoor Markets now only cost 420 million (was 720 million).
    5. Backdoor Markets production bonus increase from 15% to 50%.
    6. Coffee Shops, while still expensive, now double overall building sweetleaf production (not clicks!).
    7. Transport Company now also doubles your sweetleafs per click and gives 1 Golden Thumb every 2 seconds insterad of 10 seconds. This upgrade changes so much so suddenly, these 2 got left behind.
    8. Added per click Sweetleaf bonuses and 1 Golden Thumb per second to the first 3 Bio Lab Upgrades.
    9. Moved Special Requirement info upgrades to "Owned Upgrades" so you can purchase them immediately and still see their requirements there. The explanation text has also been changed to make them easier to read. It pays to read these!
    This should be a whole lot more smooth through to working on the Bio Lab.

It is possible if you dopnt start again, that some of this is broken or not showing properly. (moving upgrades for example). I was forced to change the names of a few as well.

Have fun!
    Those thumbs from Ghosts you mentioned DO help a lot in fact in the beginning stages, because at the beginning the %'s are too low to get 100 Thumbs in a timely fashion for upgrade 2 (Thumb Trick)for example. I agree in the late game they have less of a pupose because you do get more with clicking in this area.

2 things:
    1. The Mood Ghost upgrades are not done yet. so the numbers will properly increase once the rest is balanced. Trying to balance 15 things at once is kind of difficult :D
    2. They also serve the purpose of the "bad return" when Joe Clicker's mood (based on chance%) is not turned to a good one. or with the Medicated one, when you don't get High Time. See it as the "not so good roll" of all the other possibilities.

Have you ever gotten the big one from the Medicated Mr. Clicker ghost where it spawns clones of itself yet? (3% chance after Tech Breakthrough is earned).

I once had this, and while clicking a clone got another hit of it.....and ended up with over 400 seconds of High Time! wow
    edited March 17
    Time to wipe again to compare the changes.

Edit: I think it's perfect now. Clicking is still relevant in the 10b mark, even if you can't click massively and the buildings start being almost as powerful as clicking.

Edit: At 27 upgrades owned and 50 Industrial Farms I make 30m sweetleaves/second and 125 golden thumbs so I almost don't have to click anymore.

Edit: I have done around 65k clicks if you are wondering for your maths/balancing.

Edit: Instead of removing Golden Thumbs from ghosts like I suggested earlier, buff them. Make the reward stack with upgrade multipliers. I am at a stage where I need them for the next building level.
    Post edited by Mylo on
    I'd love to know how you got to 50 Industrial Farms before I got even 11 Tech Centers. I wiped directly after updating this. I've been constantly clicking etc (26k clicks).....looking presently forward to Backdoor Markets and Online Store.......

Anyway yes, the balance feels good/right now....you can actually get higher numbers on clicking than production output by waiting and saving for certain things at the right time. Allows for various strategies.

Let's leave it like this with no changes until either one of us has fully built the Bio Lab and pay attention to what might be missing to keep that moving at the same PACE as the rest before it........my "semi-goal" was to have the Bio Lab building take almost as long as it took to unlock it from 0.

It's good you felt no further need to click. I don't really want the Bio Lab phase to be about clicking really..."it's only a matter of time" is what I want here. Giving peoplecarpal tunnel isnt good i think :D

When you finish the BIO LAB.....write down your total earned on both Sweetleaf, Golden Thumbs and Moon Ghost Turns. This will be interesting info to prepare for the "rebirth" upgrade.

Once the Bio Lab phase feels right, I will begin averting my attention to 2 things:
    1. The Financial Upgrade, where money becomes a new focus after "A New Strand", a working title for the Ascension.
    2. the "ascension" idea
    edited March 17
    At your question, I press shift before upgrading, that's how I get them so fast. Do you think that's cheating? It doesn't calculate all levels, it just multiplies the initial level by 50.

Edit: Also check my last edit in the previous post.

Edit: I need about 24 minutes, pressing shift, to get the last 50 bio lab updates. Maybe you should find a way to disable shift buying... It's a bug that's been going on since release of new idle game maker. Currently at 11T total earned. And 6m Golden Thumbs.
    Yeah thats what I meant...I want to buff them, maybe you missed my post after the last update.

I have to make the mood ghost buff be exactly for that, the "boost amount" need to increase for the increasing demand of golden thumbs from building bio lab parts.......

......So I kinda need some numbers to work with.....Suggest things that would keep it in balance......at least for the first upgrade and "at which % of the bio lab are you when you need this"

---------------
    Holding shift is bugged yes and it's really sad he's never going to fix it and it's hardcoded so there's no way to get rid of it either........in this case it's only an exploit and not cheating. I'm not using it personally, but i have a guy testing this with an auto clicker so i am getting 3 worlds for testing this :D
    sheesh, you have way too much time on your hands lol. Take a break man! You don't need to work on this 24/7, however if you really enjoy it, then I guess it's your call
    But if he takes breaks maybe he gets the Grandma Clicker syndrome and gets hit by laziness and other distractions. It's good to work as much as he can now that there is hype and when he is satisfied with it then he can take longer breaks from it.
    Still, I feel like it's better to take a break every now and then, if he works too fast, he may run out of ideas too fast aswell, or get burned out and not enjoy making it as much.

I'm also working on some graphic design projects for various clients on the side too (my RL work atm).
    I NEVER run out of ideas.
    I do tend to burn out though, especially when there is little interest. Only 2 guys+1 friend playtesting isn't much to keep me interested over months. If the number of players would grow somehow it might be more interesting for me. The limits of this engine, and no bug fixing, will get me eventually too. It's inevitable given enough time.

For now, though, It's my normal pace on projects. This is my 5th game already. 1 of them is in the Steam Store (made on the HL2 Source Engine), 3 others were 100% solo projects in 3d on the Unreal Engine but just prototypes that won't work without good modelers and better artists etc...now this.

If there were actually more interest for the game I would port it to unreal and really do it all....there are MANY limits posed upon us here on dashnet and a guy who (seemingly) will never update the engine in the background......

I think when these guys leave here its because there's no updates, too few interested players and engine limitations.....like no sounds etc.....possibly a slew of other things.
    edited March 17
    I am now at 58T sweetleaves and 39m Golden Thumbs total amounts. I own 31 upgrades, I have 78k total clicks, 90 mood clicks and I am missing 7 achievements. Any idea what those could be? I have at least 100 of each building.

Edit: I reached 200 of one building and am now at 41/47. 150 Tech Centers, 100 Farms.