Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.
⚠️ The DashNet forums will be shut down on September 12th 2019.⚠️

Please see here for more information.

A Guide for Extreme Noobs pls?

InterNutterInterNutter Posts: 3Member
I love that Idle Game Maker exists, but the extant guide setup is more like a reminder lookup for those with experience in it. The only video tutorial I could find was the same kind of primer. What things are and barely what they do, not an in-depth description of how they work and how to use them.

I've bumbled my way into sort-of creating a thing, but there's little to help when I get errors that don't make sense and seem to mesh with the given example. I end up stuck, frustrated, and confused.

Pour Example:

I'm trying to get stuff in boxes, with a similar layout to Kittens Game. However, understanding boxes has hit a roadblock or three because I can't get the dang things to work.

Goal: to create a vertical box in the middle of the window containing a list of my buildings
Code: contains:Buildings
Error: Could not parse "contains:Buildings"

[I'd supply screencaps, but apparently those are links and I'm too big a noob for that responsibility]

I don't get it. What's the problem? Where is the problem?

Further: what CSS codes are there? We're only shown one example and if there's a list, I'd like to have it. A handy lookup for those would be nice if there's also a few hints as to what they do, how to use, blablabla.

I am very new at this and completely unfamiliar with everything. Plus I've hit that age of OldFogeyness where everything is starting to get confusing and complicated. I could have picked an easier age to start doing this stuff, but this didn't exist when I was twenty years younger.

If you have help, put it at Explaining-to-Grandma levels pls. References would also be nice because I think I've reached the limits of what the bunny game can teach me.

Also, be warned: I anticipate hitting ALL of the stumbling blocks, so maybe use this thread as a noob guide if it isn't a primary source on what not to do for all future noobs like me.

Comments

• RadicalRobotRadicalRobot Posts: 39Member ✭✭
    CSS isn't for people starting Idle Game Maker. If you are completely new, you should try making a game with the default CSS layouts. I'm decent at Idle Game Maker at this point and I know next-to-nothing with CSS.
    So that's what I think, but if you really want to learn CSS you might want to find somebody to learn from or look at other peoples CSS codes to figure out how they work.
    Stay Radical!
  • SkrubbySkrubby Posts: 16Member ✭✭
    I already know CSS maybe I could help you.
    Honestly the way I started my game is by copying Bunny Clickers source code editing it and then building up from there.
  • InterNutterInterNutter Posts: 3Member
    My first instinct with examples is use what I can to make something Different. Like... the only CSS command I know is fullWidth which is not what I want. Is there a way to set the width of a box?

The whole problem with the code at the moment is that it doesn't parse and I don't know why.

My confusion stems from the sample and examples in the code guide use it, but it doesn't want to parse.

*main
    *buildBox
    contains:Buildings
    *resBox
    contains:Resources, Buttons, Upgrades

That's the problem code. It should work before I start futzing around with fine-tuning stuff. I put the buildBox code above the resBox stuff just so I could determine if the commas were causing problems. I'll unmuckle that later. When it's working.

So far, I've discovered that whether or not I nest things in *main, it still won't parse.

When I conquer contains: that's when I start mucking around with other things like layout declarations and whatnot.
    Ah, I think I see... Do you have a custom stylesheet?
  • InterNutterInterNutter Posts: 3Member
    Looks like I'll have to build one. Where would I begin?

I'm willing to do all the legwork here.
  • IronDizasterIronDizaster Posts: 44Member ✭✭
    Sorry if I'm a little late, but you can find many examples of CSS codes on this website:

https://www.w3schools.com/css/

delayed update > rushed update