Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Building Leveling Choice

Okay, so I was wondering, which buildings should I prioritize. I'm focusing on them one at a time till I get to level 10. And I think it would be best to level up buildings below level 10 that are giving me the most cookies. But by what metric? Do I go by the first statistic of % (which I believe tells me the building without synergy) or the second metric (which tells me including synergy). My grandmas are giving me 0% of my income by the first metric and over 33% by the second metric, so there can be a big difference.

Comments

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭
    edited December 13
    I did a bit of maths to try and answer this question for myself. My aim was to maximise the number of cookies made rather than to try for the level-10-of-each achievement, which will come eventually and which I regard simply as a means to an end.

First, the best building for leveling up works out to be the one for which the increased production divided by the number of lumps required is the greatest. This is what I would intuitively expect, and in fact I went through the calculations and proved it.

Second, I don't level up this building (or any other) if the resultant increase in production is negated by the decrease in the boost from "sugar baking". This can happen if the number of lumps is less than 100, or falls below 100 after spending lumps to level up. In practice this works out to mean that the number should not be allowed to fall below 100, otherwise the loss in production from sugar baking far outweighs the gain from leveling up.

The methodology therefore is:

1. For each building, calculate production increase dP from levelling up, and divide by the number of lumps required.

2. Calculate the loss of boost from Sugar Baking from spending this number of lumps. This quantity will be zero if (lumps available) - (lumps required) is less than 100.

3. If the first quantity is greater than the second, do the levelling up. Otherwise do nothing. Don't even level up buildings that require fewer lumps; it is better to wait until there are sufficient to level up the best building.

The additional complicating factor is that the L10 achievement, when it is obtained, will provide a boost of its own. Thus, a lump spent in levelling up a building is also working towards getting the L10 achievement boost, and this needs to be taken into account.

For example: at present my best building for levelling is the prism, even though it's already at level 12. The boost from levelling these up is easy to calculate: 0.01 * current production from prisms. 13 lumps are required for the next level, so each lump is contributing one thirteenth of this amount.

Now the number of lumps required at present to reach the L10 achievement is 605. (Most of the buildings are at level zero.) There I consider each lump I spend in levelling up to be contributing 1/605 of the production increase that will result from the achievement - providing the current level is less than 10. Now prisms are already at level 12, so there is no L10 benefit being gained and this contribution is not counted. Time machines are only at level 2, so this contribution is included when calculating the benefit from levelling up time machines. At present L10 is a long way away, so this extra term makes almost no difference, but it may become significant when I get closer to having level 10 everywhere.

If you have already decided to go for the L10 achievement first, the above procedure simplifies considerably, because you only need to calculate the dP per lump for the buildings below level 10. The contribution per lump due to getting closer to L10 is the same for all these buildings, therefore it can be ignored in the calculation.
    Post edited by bob_32_116 on
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I was wondering, which buildings should I prioritize. I'm focusing on them one at a time till I get to level 10. And I think it would be best to level up buildings below level 10 that are giving me the most cookies. But by what metric? Do I go by the first statistic of % (which I believe tells me the building without synergy) or the second metric (which tells me including synergy). My grandmas are giving me 0% of my income by the first metric and over 33% by the second metric, so there can be a big difference.

I realise I did not actually answer this question.

The first metric would be the one to use. The amount that is actually being produced by grandmas is what gets increased when levelling up. The contribution from synergies is the amount produced by OTHER buildings by virtue of the existence of grandmas; it depends only on the number of grandmas, not on how much the grandmas themselves produce.