Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Deltarune Discussion Thread

BillaboBillabo Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,299 Mod
edited November 2 in Off Topic

Spoilers below, so go to https://www.deltarune.com and download the "survey" if you haven't already!

So, chapter 1 of Deltarune is out! Is it just one chapter of a game that will be released in chapters? Is it simply a demo of the full game? I don't know, but there's a lot to discuss about it, so I started this thread so as not to clog Activity like I almost started to do!

I'll start with some general observations and speculations I had.
Obviously, Kris is Chara, and I'm pretty sure the game is set before Undertale, but the relationship of the town to the sprawling locations in Undertale is unclear. Also, the monsters are living on the surface, but Kris is the only human around. Are humans and monsters still living in peace? The fact that "humans under your bed" is something to be afraid of implies no, but if that's the case, why are they still living peacefully on the surface? Maybe they're just racist against humans. Or maybe the monsters AREN'T actually living on the surface, but underground, but the Underground has not become dark yet, and this is the tale of how it became that way!
Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
08619-69569
56318-03154

Comments

• QuentinPlaysMCQuentinPlaysMC Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be after Undertale, but it seems like this is a totally different timeline.
    The reason I don't think it's before is that: Asgore and Toriel are not together, It looks an awful lot like they're on the surface, but, as Billabo said, they don't seem to be at peace with the humans.
    And, as I said, it's obviously a different timeline, (You're named Kris, Asriel is alive, Sans doesn't know you, Undyne doesn't know Alphys, the amalgamates are presumably dead. etc.) However another thought that I had is that this is some kind of 'facade' created by the person who talks to you at the beginning (Gaster maybe?)
    why are you here? why am I here? were we created in the same way that we created them?
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Timeline analysis time.

Do you guys remember the Sans fight? Let's start with Sans' quotes, shall we?

"i gave up trying to go back a long time ago.
    and getting to the surface doesn't appeal anymore, either." (rough quotes)

The first quote could easily be interpreted as "go back to a timeline that ended well," but no. I truly don't believe that because of the following quote. He truly doesn't care what happens to these timelines as long as everything isn't erased, he wants to go back to a specific time and space.

Next thing to look at? Let's focus on Sans' workshop. Particularly, the image. Three people smiling, with "DON'T FORGET" drawn onto it.

How many people seems to be the maximum that can fit into a party (given the battle menu's size)? 3 people. And what's the end credits theme called? Don't Forget.

Finally, the entity that brought us into Deltarune clearly has speaking mannerisms in line with Gaster. All caps, no punctuation, and of course, the "VERY VERY INTERESTING" in the Twitter posts.

I believe this is both a prequel and an alternate timeline, and we will possibly learn the backstory of both Sans and Gaster, as well as how Sans ended up in the main timeline.

"But RiR, what about Chara?"

Oh, right, Chara. That... provides a bit of a different perspective. Chara is clearly present and clearly quite murderous. If this timeline is a mere prequel, this goes against canon, as Chara is corrupted by your actions.

But what if they already were?

Let's remember a quote from the child themself.

"Let us erase this pointless world, and move onto the next."

And move onto the next we did. They were definitely involved with us being here in the first place, at least how I see it. But, it doesn't necessarily refute the other part of my theory. We all know how much this series plays with time. I truly believe that Chara made their way to the old timeline, and brought us with.

Therefor, Deltarune is a prequel, a sequel, AND an alternate timeline.

Discuss.
    SL_ND_R: __RS_S__N__
    ---
    SOUNDCLOUD
  • QuentinPlaysMCQuentinPlaysMC Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    the theory about the ending scene that I like the most is that it's not Kris being possessed (quite the opposite, actually), and instead is trying to take their own control back from *you* (beleiving that your soul is what is letting you control them, as evidenced by you being able to control the soul in the cage during the ending cutscene) I think the reason for the knife is simply because Kris already seems somewhat unkind and mischevious, and now without a soul, cannot feel empathy.
    why are you here? why am I here? were we created in the same way that we created them?
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

the theory about the ending scene that I like the most is that it's not Kris being possessed (quite the opposite, actually), and instead is trying to take their own control back from *you* (beleiving that your soul is what is letting you control them, as evidenced by you being able to control the soul in the cage during the ending cutscene) I think the reason for the knife is simply because Kris already seems somewhat unkind and mischevious, and now without a soul, cannot feel empathy.

I think the main reason why I disagree with this statement is probably because the knife appears to materialize out of nowhere.

Also... (Spoilers for the key secret.)

I feel like Jevil is gonna appear again. It seems like a bit of a waste for Toby to give a character that only appears once a voice actor and... well, make him appear so powerful.
    SL_ND_R: __RS_S__N__
    ---
    SOUNDCLOUD