Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Doughsroom/Crumbspore garden vs Duketaters?

MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
edited October 16 in General Discussion
I simply don't have the math ability to figure this out, but I was wondering, what's the tipping point (is there one) where a fire-and-forget garden of mixed doughsrooms and crumbspores in fertilizer (on average, since what the make-up is going to be most of the time is unpredictable) out-returns a garden of duketaters?

They're cheaper to plant, they're self-perpetuating, and they decay much faster. On the other hand, they individually return far less, as well...

Comments

• blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    For the sake of argument, lets assume the CpS reward will never be capped by a small bank, CpS will remain constant throughout, seed planting costs are negligible, and assume Duketaters require a full life cycle to be harvested to account for the randomness in DT growth rates. Also, lets assume perfect plant spreading on the Doughshrooms/Crumbspores.

We can find each plant's efficiency by taking the CpS reward divided by time investment in ticks to get:

Crumbspore (CS): 0.04 CpS minutes/tick
    Doughshroom (DS): 0.10 CpS minutes/tick
    Duketater (DT): 0.54 CpS minutes/tick

Since Doughshrooms are about 2.5x more efficient than Crumbspores, lets compare best case scenario of only Doughshrooms vs Duketaters.

To get the returns of a Duketater by using only Doughshrooms, you would need to put 5.4x the amount of time into Doughshrooms. Since Duketaters take 223 ticks to mature, you would need about 1200 ticks to equal it out.

Another, simpler way of looking at things:

Each Dough rewards 1/24 the cookies of a Duke, so 24 Doughshrooms yields 1 Duketater. However, it takes 1200 ticks (60 hours when using Fertilizer) to equal the reward of 1 Duketater at 223 ticks (just over 11 hours on Fertilizer). After this point any cookies made from Doughshrooms will exceed the reward from 1 full garden harvest of Duketaters.

TL;DR
    In a perfect, best case scenario, it would take 2.5 days of Crumbspore/Doughshroom self-perpetuation to equal the return of 1 Duketater harvest. In practice this would take multiple times longer.
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
    edited October 18
    Is that formula also taking into account that the duketaters have a recurring cost to buy, but the doughshrooms don't - they respawn themselves for free?

That's what piqued my curiosity.

As a fire-and forget garden, planting a Crumbspore costs 8 minutes of CPS. When it dies, it returns 1 minute's worth (12.5% of its cost.) But it can replace itself for free. The ninth respawn is profit with no associated cost.
    For Doughsrooms, the numbers are 1:40 and 5 minutes, for a 5% return on each respawn. The 21st respawn starts the freebies.

Duketaters, at least according to the charts, do not respawn themselves. They cost 8:0 hours and return 2 hours. The second generation costs another 8 hours They never reach the point of being free unless you actively manipulate the garden and your buffs to produce multiplied returns.
    Post edited by Maddie on
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    It seems I missed the point. In the math I did above I assumed planting costs of all plants were negligible due to CpS manipulation or having an exceedingly high number of cookies in bank. The only way I could see to compare them would be without considering the planting costs.

A Duketater harvest will leave you at -6:00 Cps without manipulating your CpS, so planting and harvesting Dukes without any buffs would just be a terrible waste. Planting Crumbspores/Doughshrooms will leave you with less of a penalty to your cookies, therefore always leaving you at better returns than Dukes.

In other words, planting and harvesting a full garden of Dukes with no CpS changes will result in a smaller bank than if you plant and reap a garden of Crumbs/Doughs and with the respawning it becomes even better. On a new ascension it would definitely be better to go for Crumbs/Doughs to start and then go for Dukes once you've built up a respectable bank and you can manipulate your CpS to minimize planting costs and maximize returns.