Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Dashnet Plays Sburb - Overseer

¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, if you guys don't know, Overseer is a web-based Sburb simulator thing that honestly plays really well. My first session with it was with a friend in another community. It's all mostly text-based, so even my shitty-ass internet can run it, and it's just generally pretty fun to play.

I want to run a session with you guys. A minimum of two other people, so that we don't end up without enough people to have some sort of meaningful session. And I should note, while it is possible to link up to yourself, do not do that. We need to be linked up to each other to really get anywhere lategame - especially through games.

So, here's the planning we'll have to do before starting:

- A Discord server for the session. We'll need a live chat to talk about things while playing. (Not voice chat, 'cause my internet can't even load it, but...) The only people in the Discord will be those involved in the session.
- Who's gonna be the server for who? Every player needs to have a server and client. We're gonna need to decide who's gonna be the server for who before we go in.
- Finally, we should talk about Class, Aspect, and Specibi stuff. In case some people here don't want to share theirs with other people. :P

Other things you should note if you want to join the session:

- There is no joining after we enter the Medium. If you were too late, the world probably got destroyed with you still on it. You have been warned.
- You have to be active, god damn it. I don't expect too much from you guys, but just try to be here at some point per day. This rule would probably be less strict if this wasn't a game where your client relies on you to progress. You risk exile and a half-assed patch job of the client-server order stuff if you don't be there for your client.
- Communication is key for a lot of things. Ask your server to build you up if you want to reach a Dungeon. Ask your fellow players what materials you're gonna need before you choose them for your Land. Ask your fellow players for grist if you don't have the materials to make something. Communicate. With. Your. Players. We're all on the same team, there's no PVP option.
- Please just pick a Dream moon. There's no reason not to, and you need the Boondollars lategame for special abilities. Just pick one.
- Only Tier 1 prototype your Sprite. I know, if you've read Homestuck, this is common knowledge, but like, seriously. Also, don't make it too overpowered.
- At the same time, DO PICK A POWER LEVEL FOR YOUR SPRITE. I fucked up last time and got a 0 power Sprite. Look up a good starting power for your Kernelsprite so that it won't be too powerful(and the minions won't be, either!), but you won't be doing this entirely on your own, either.

As for things I'M gonna be doing specifically.

- Setting up the Discord server, of course.
- Making sure you fucks don't screw each other or yourselves over.
- Posting summaries of each session in this thread.
- Explaining mechanics to you guys - I've played up to a bit after entering the Medium with that friend I mentioned from the other community. That's as much as I know without a guide, however, so playing from there will be a learning experience for all involved.
- Playing the game with the rest of you, really.

Who's willing to hop in?
SL_ND_R: __RS_S__N__
---
SOUNDCLOUD

Comments

• ViniVini Member Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who's willing to hop in?

Hmph, if we won't have the chance to learn with our mistakes, why bother?

>3>

No, for real, you could al least have linked it, RiR.

But anyway, I might be interested. If it's mostly text based, I'm hoping for a lot of attention paid to the small details (like Colossal Cave), which will make for a very, eh... "Rich" adventure. >3>

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20
    Vini said:

Who's willing to hop in?

Hmph, if we won't have the chance to learn with our mistakes, why bother?

>3>

No, for real, you could al least have linked it, RiR.

But anyway, I might be interested. If it's mostly text based, I'm hoping for a lot of attention paid to the small details (like Colossal Cave), which will make for a very, eh... "Rich" adventure. >3>
    I meant the whole "not screwing each other or yourselves over" thing as more "intentionally doing it." (I know at least that it's possible to point your attack-based Aspect Patterns at other players, as well as presumably your debuffs. You could also basically refuse to let your teammates progress if you're Server - just don't build their house up. That's the kind of things I'd step in for. Fucking up by, say, not doing Sprite prototyping right is something I'd just sit back with a bowl of popcorn and watch, heheh.)

And, yeah, putting the link in OP would have been a good idea. Here it is now, at least, to make up for it.

The game doesn't really have a whole lot of built-in descriptions for everything - that would be a lot of unique flavor text to write, given every enemy is designed around your Sprites' prototyping, and they can be prototyped with literally anything. (You can even pick up the Cruxtruder and shove it into your Sprite! Well, given your Server is willing to spawn another one, that is.) Would really double their workload. (They might spring for it in the updated version they've been working on for a while? I read about it in the Discord, in the brief moments I stopped by before deciding I already have too many Discords I'm not active in.)

Their solution? You can write your own descriptions of your Sprite and how your pre-Entry Prototyping alters enemies' designs, and when you're playing, enemies will spawn with the description you've written. (I don't really know if others can see your descriptions or not, but you definitely can.) It's not a perfect solution, but it's something. And at least you've still got item descriptions, and their descriptions of the stuff when plonked in your house.
    SL_ND_R: __RS_S__N__
    ---
    SOUNDCLOUD