Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

[Suggestion] More complex Tiling Backgrounds and Time-based Expressions

MiningcookiesVIIIMiningcookiesVIII Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
My first suggestion is to add some more complex effects with the tiling background: command (particularly for use with boxes) to have special tiles generate at the corners and sides. The issue with just making it one image is that it can't expand along with the box, meaning if you want to have a special box containing an increasing amount of objects with a custom background and bordered sides, you don't really have an option.

My second and more complex suggestion is to add some expressions that return the system time, allowing for time-based events like holidays, real-time growth, and more. Here are some example expressions. (which for the sake of example will here use square brackets to distinguish them from thingKeys, if another, better/nicer system is thought of, that's fine)

[20:00:00]
Returns 1 if it exactly the first second of 8 PM, 0 if it is not.

Using an X means that that digit will not matter, so for instance
[15:xx:xx] would return 1 for any time during 3 PM, and [7:xx:x1] would return 1 for any time during 7 AM, as long as the seconds are in a number ending in 1.

Using [Time,Time] would define a range, which means that any number within that range will return a 1. For example:
[[6:xx:xx],[7:30:xx]] will return 1 if it is any time after 5 AM but before 7:31 AM.

There would be other time-based commands besides system time.

Weekdays, used like this:
[wednesday]
Returns 1 if it is Wednesday, 0 if it is not.

Dates, used like this:
[25/12/xxxx]
Returns 1 if it is December 25th, 0 if it is not.

And of course, you would be able to use and to make returning 1 require a specific time on a specific date, a specific date on a certain day of the week, or anything like that!
I said, STOP SUICIDING. ~Idler
Uh your so ugly I frgotz how 2 grammer ~Darkmatterfire
Why is 10 afraid of people who can't count? Because 7 8 10! ~Pighouse
You can't get into sigs if you try hard!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!11!!~Darkmatterfire
Post farmer, an IGM game I made. Thingk RPG, a creative forum game I made. Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.
~A. Dumbledore

Comments

• morkysherkmorkysherk Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    for corner/edge tiles, you could use a box with the CSS background-image property to overlay an image on the background, or make boxes all around the edge of the screen

System time is a good idea, if easily exploitable (using a time server would be better). Date ranges would also be nice
  • MiningcookiesVIIIMiningcookiesVIII Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

for corner/edge tiles, you could use a box with the CSS background-image property to overlay an image on the background, or make boxes all around the edge of the screen

System time is a good idea, if easily exploitable (using a time server would be better). Date ranges would also be nice

Thanks for the info on the tiled boxes. I still think it would be nice to have a more mainstreamed way of doing it, though.

As for your second point, Cookie Clicker itself uses system time, so I don't see an issue with it. If people want to exploit it, it's their choice.
    Date ranges, in this suggestion, would be able to be done the same way as time ranges, for instance [[25/12/xxxx],[31/12/xxxx]] would return 1 any time from Christmas until New Year's.
    I said, STOP SUICIDING. ~Idler
    Uh your so ugly I frgotz how 2 grammer ~Darkmatterfire
    Why is 10 afraid of people who can't count? Because 7 8 10! ~Pighouse
    You can't get into sigs if you try hard!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!11!!~Darkmatterfire
    Post farmer, an IGM game I made. Thingk RPG, a creative forum game I made. Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.
    ~A. Dumbledore