Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Better Drowsyfern/J.QueenBeet Growth Tracking

TumaluTumalu Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited May 15 in Suggestions
I've noticed plenty of people expressing frustration with these two plants seemingly "freezing" in growth for long periods of time. From what I can tell, the problem is that the growth estimate doesn't update until they progress by at least 1% of their lifespan; but that's over 12 ticks for a juicy queenbeet! So, it can go for potentially an entire hour without updating even in fertilizer, and then people think their plants are bugged and not growing because it said "mature in about 1 hour" over an hour ago, and still says the same thing.

People say that "there's only X% chance it'll grow on a tick", but there's times where you can reroll growth as much as you want and it won't change, and every time the ticker DOES update on my JQBs it moves by 1% of the plant's total lifespan, so as far as I can tell this is what's really going on.
Post edited by Tumalu on

Comments

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    No, the x% chance of growth is how it works. Sometimes the RNG just hates you.

Each plant has two associated variables controlling its growth: ageTick and ageTickR. When a tick occurs, a random number K between 0 and 1 is generated, and the sum ageTick+(K*ageTickR) is computed. This is then put into the randomFloor function. randomFloor(x) is ceil(x) with probability {x} = x%1 (that is to say, the fractional part of x), and otherwise floor(x).

Juicy queenbeets have ageTick 0.04 and ageTickR 0.08. Drowsyferns have ageTick 0.05 and ageTickR 0.1. Therefore, on any given tick, either 0 or 1 is added to the age of the plant, with probability ageTick+(ageTickR/2) of adding 1. Thus Juicy queenbeets have an 8% chance of growing on a tick, and Drowsyferns have a 10% chance of growing on a tick.

Each plant's age is an integer value between 0 and 100, not a floating point number. Each plant has a mature variable; when the plant's age is greater than or equal to that variable (or 95% of it if you have Seedless to nay), the plant is mature. That's why the ticker moves 1% of the plant's total lifespan whenever it does move.

There are other plants that can fail to grow on a tick; these are Cronerice (9/35), Elderwort (9/20), Nursetulip (1/16), Duketater (13/20), Tidygrass (1/2), and Everdaisy (7/10). All of these but Cronerice (1/140 chance of 2) and Nursetulip (7/16 chance of 2; 1/16 chance of 3) can only grow by 1 on a tick. The effect is just most pronounced with Drowsyfern and Juicy queenbeet.