Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Garden Minigame is broken and frustrating

CartoonCookieCartoonCookie Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Well, it's been a while since I posted here, and I think with the latest update and new minigame, I'd give some suggestions on how to fix what I think is a broken concept.

The Garden minigame is good in the late game, but when played in early game like me(had to restart a new game), it feels more like its own separate game, and it's tedious.

The pay rates are hard to save up for when you're trying to buy up Buildings and Upgrades, so you can afford the more expensive seeds. And since the pay rates go based off your CPS, the more it rises, the more expensive the seeds become, and so it takes longer to save up. Plus, Golden Cookies and Wrath Cookies can make it more expensive or cheaper to buy seeds respectively, so getting a Clot is more favorable, even if it means losing cookies.

The Maturation and Decay rates differ so vastly on each plant, that when trying to make a new seed from a Mutation, you have to match them up just right, or end up shilling out more Cookies to try again when it fails. Some Decay almost instantly, while ones you pair those up with can take hours to Mature. To make Fool's bolete, you need a Green rot(M-4c,D-6c) and a Doughshroom(M-43c, D-50c). So, since Wood Chips is the best soil to make Mutations, that means I have to wait 3.5 hours for the Doughshroom to Mature, and then hope the first Green rot gives me the Mutation I want, and not have the Doughshroom just plop out another Doughshroom instead. Also, I just finally got the Drowsyfern. Its Maturation time is 25 HOURS. Plus, the time span is also sporadic, so I had to keep an eye on it, as it would pause and drop randomly. In fact, I had to wait almost 3 hours for it to go from 10 clicks(50 minutes), to Mature.

Then there's the Mutation rates. Some are such a pain in the butt to try and set up. Plus, some have a better chance of spawning when you already have the plant you're trying to get. Or, the plant you use to get the other plant is better at making copies of itself, or another plant you already have.

And finally, the special Upgrades- Wheat Slims, Elderwort Biscuits, Bakeberry Cookies, Fern Tea, Duketater Cookies, Green Yeast Digestives, and Ichor Syrup. Each of these are only dropped by certain plants, and only when Mature. Plus, the drop rates are very small. In my level 2 Garden, while waiting for the Drowsyfern to Mature, I planted Baker's wheat in the other 5 available plots. For a good 24 hours I did this, and not once did any of those plants dropped the Upgrade- Wheat Slims, which has a 0.1% chance of dropping. Now, Baker's Wheat is a cheaply priced and fast growing plant, but the fact that in a day's worth of play not once did the Upgrade drop means wasted Cookies and time. Now think of the Drowsyfern. That takes 25 hours to Mature, the time span is sporadic, and it only has a 1% chance of dropping the Upgrade- Fern Tea. Trying to get the Fern Tea will be a nightmare, even if I had a level 9 Garden.

Now the ways to fix it should be simple. First, slightly nerfing the pay rates so even in the very beginning of the game you can buy a few seeds would be good. Also, maybe not having Golden Cookies or Wrath Cookies effect the cost would be good too. Then, fixing the Maturation and Decay levels on plants, especially ones that breed together, so they don't take so long or die off too quick would be better. Also making the Mutation rates more favorable would help. Finally, if your plants are going to drop Upgrades, you need to change the drop rate or the way to get them. Maybe instead of a .01% or 1% chance, how about 10% or 25%? Maybe instead of dropping at random, maybe have so a certain amount of the specific plant has to be harvested, like 50 Baker's wheat to get Wheat Slims.

Sorry this is a long read, did my best to keep it short and to the point. Hopefully you agree with me on some of these, if not all.
Cartoons and Cookies? What an awesome combination!

Comments

• Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭
    this is why i use fertilizer
    cease your tomfoolery

• TumaluTumalu Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    When dealing with mismatched times (e.g. doughshroom and green rot) you should be using fertilizer until the doughshroom is right about to mature, then swap to Wood Chips. This cuts off almost half the growth time. Also, drowsyfern isn't a huge problem (although being able to randomly not age is weird) because it stays mature for like 2 more days, so it's not as though you'll miss it being ready to harvest.

If you use efficient strategies (e.g. godmazok and casting Force the Hand of Fate when you get a frenzy, for really big click frenzies) you can obtain a huge bank of cookies proportional to your cps not that far into the game, so that you can use the garden easily. Although yeah, some of those plants are kind of expensive, and it can be weird for a single seed (of something that doesn't directly give massive cookies, e.g. not queenbeets/duketaters) to cost hours of CpS when that only impacts earlier/less efficient players... :T So I do kinda agree with you there.

But regardless, making Clot/Cursed Finger useful are interesting and neat, not bad. They just kind of happen here and there anyway, so why not get something out of it?

The thing about the plant-unlocked upgrades is, they used to be way more common, but he decided to make them Forever Unlocked through ascensions and then made them rarer. So on one hand, they're not intended to be unlocked immediately, but ones like Fern Tea can be annoying with that maturing time... once you have a huge garden, most of the others aren't that bad to farm out, at least. And your chance of getting Fern Tea with "mind over matter" on a lv9 garden harvest is actually pretty high, you can do things like plant it before work/sleep or when you'll have a really busy day and it'll be there when you're back.

But, you really shouldn't be trying to actively work towards the upgrades when your garden is only ~lv2. It takes as much effort as a high level garden but your chance of success is literally 1/6th what it will be later.

There are a few pretty annoying mutations to get tho'. You're correct there. I dunno how the people playing without a guide are supposed to ever find some of these plants. Then again, most people will probably look for a guide sooner or later... maybe? It's hard to know how many people do that, but a game dev has to pick the struggle of finding a balance where unspoiled players can still have fun, but spoiled players don't just totally breeze through. Plus when you have a big garden later, 1% mutation rates (all but the worst few plants) are actually fine because you can have like 13 eligible slots and wood chips, rolling a 3% chance 13 times every garden tick- actually very good odds. It seems horrible at low garden levels but later it's a breeze for all but the very rarest.

The brown mold/white mildew mutations can be annoying for rampant spreading while you're trying to get a mutation, but there's a secret; those two "plants" don't need to be mature to crossbreed for any of their mutations! Sweet.
  • CartoonCookieCartoonCookie Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Tumalu said:

When dealing with mismatched times (e.g. doughshroom and green rot) you should be using fertilizer until the doughshroom is right about to mature, then swap to...

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully this can help a bit. Just feels like this minigame favors late game players rather than early ones. The Pantheon and Grimoire minigames favor players of any level, and get better the later in the game you get. This one grinds to a halt for early players while they wait for enough Sugar Lumps to expand their garden. If there was a way to farm Sugar Lumps quicker then it wouldn't be so bad I guess.
  • LathundLathund Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

If there was a way to farm Sugar Lumps quicker then it wouldn't be so bad I guess.

Ironically, you can do that with the garden.
    edited May 4
    Lathund said:

If there was a way to farm Sugar Lumps quicker then it wouldn't be so bad I guess.

Ironically, you can do that with the garden.

Only problem is that you have to get EVERY plant first, and like I said that can take forever in early game. If I could get a Sugar Lump around every 12 hours, instead of around every 24, it'd be easier to level up my garden faster.
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Juicy queenbeets.

All you need is level 3 Farms.
    dpareja said:

Juicy queenbeets.

That's true, but the Mutation Rate is pretty low, so it would still take a while.

dpareja said:

Juicy queenbeets.

That's true, but the Mutation Rate is pretty low, so it would still take a while.
    Well, there's Wood chips, and savescumming.
  • TumaluTumalu Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Yeah if you're willing to open a bunch of tabs and just watch for which develops a mutation, your chances can go -drastically- higher. Although farming juicy queenbeets still doesn't work amazingly until lv6~7 farms where you can get 2 and then 4 slots for them.
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Getting 1 extra sugar lump every 2 days or so with optimal luck by farming juicy queenbeets isn't a significant reward for the effort put in, in my opinion. You may be better off using multiple tabs to farm for Sweet! golden cookies.
    You can savescum to get the Juicy queenbeets growing, and once you hit Level 7 Farms you can have four at a time.
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Fair enough, once you can get 4 lumps every 2 days it sounds worth your time.