Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

When to prestige?

Prank_ParadisePrank_Paradise Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
Ive played cookie clicker way back then and getting cookies were not this hard so is their a certain time I have to prestige? like as soon as I get the first one or keep on going?

Comments

• BillaboBillabo Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,285 Mod
    Definitely do not prestige as soon as you get the first one. If you get 101, that is a decent time to ascend because you can buy the permanent upgrade slot in addition to getting double CPS on your next run. Or you can go for more if you feel like it.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I personally Prestiged at 1300. This allowed me to get the cookie tins, dragon, golden switch, and permanent upgrade slot among other cheap upgrades all at once, allowing me to keep the momentum going with all future ascensions. It took about a month of semi-active play to get this far but I think it was worth it.
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 170 ✭✭
    edited May 1
    I disagree strongly with Bilabo.

Ascend after the first one. Without that, you do not get most of the earlier upgrades that make getting the next ones easier. Then again when you have three more, then again with seven or nine more. Do not hold off for the first permanent upgrade. It's nice, but it's only as powerful as your largest purchased upgrade.

I tested this by opening a new game and just to see how long it took to get the first trillion cookies and thus the first prestige point under the best circumstances, I loaded the Reindeer/Gold cookie auto clicker cheat and I left the computer running 24/7. In effect, I was actively playing even when I wasn't.

It took 2 days and 18 hours to make the first trillion to get the "Legacy" Heavenly upgrade. I also got the achievement for ascending.

In the second ascension, it took 3 days and 1 hour to make 7 trillion to get the second prestige point, and I had the three I needed for the second heavenly upgrade (Heavenly Cookies at 99 trillion more) in 3 days and 18 hours. That got me a permanent 10% multiplier for my CPS.

The third ascension took about two and a half days to make another 9 prestige, that I spent on How To Train Your Dragon, because I was now making cookies fast enough to be able to forfeit the 31 million it takes to get Breath of Milk.

On the fourth ascension, it took less than 3 days to make the 100 prestige points more that I needed for the first Permanent Upgrade slot.

Without those low -level upgrades, getting the Quintillion cookies you need for 101 prestige points will take weeks of low-level grinding.
    Post edited by Maddie on
    edited May 1
    @Maddie Did you do another test using your active-when-not cheats to see if you could get to 100 prestige faster than the ~14 days it took you by ascending at those shorter intervals? Because the thing is, you start gaining prestige faster the longer you let your run go. Ascending also boosts your speed, but only by 1% if you ascend with only 1 prestige level.

You say it would take weeks to get to 101 prestige without ascending, but your method took two weeks, even with the cheats. I sadly haven't taken notes on how fast I got there, but I'm pretty sure I did make it to 101 prestige faster than that.

Edit: Also I should specify for the sake of @Prank_Paradise that your biggest cursor upgrade is the best choice for your first permanent upgrade because of the huge early-game boost it gives.
    08619-69569
    56318-03154

No, I didn't take 2 weeks to get to 101 Prestige. It took 2 weeks for me to get to where I had 100 Prestige to spend on the first Permanent upgrade. In that 2 weeks, I had already gotten Legacy (+1%), Heavenly Cookies(+10%), How to Train Your Dragon (Breath of Milk). I also had Angels, Belphegor, and Persistent Memory as well. That took 32 more -- it took me two weeks to get to 132 Prestige. And I didn't stop when I had that 100, I had enough to buy the boxes of cookies, and the Starter Kit as well.

But BlankMonster's post up thread says he took "about a month" to get to 1300. Mine has been running for a month (thirty days, today) and I'm currently at:
    • This ascension: 4 days, 13 hours
    • Cookies baked all time: 193.9 undecillion
    • Cookies forfeited: 1.35 undecillion
    • normal CPS: 3.866 nonillion
    • Prestige already obtained: 110.7 million
    • Heavenly chips: 2.5 million
    • Prestige on the next ascension: 468 million
    • Time per prestige point: roughly .3 seconds.
    • Heavenly upgrades: 58 of 68 purchased
    • Achievements: 317 of 378
  • Prank_ParadisePrank_Paradise Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thank you guys you both gave me helpful advice I didn't expect cookie clicker to be this in depth since the last time I played it lol.
    There are people who I think enjoy analysing the game strategy and the meta-game more than they actually like playing it. More power to them, they make my game more fun.
    edited May 2
    Maddie said:

No, I didn't take 2 weeks to get to 101 Prestige. It took 2 weeks for me to get to where I had 100 Prestige to spend on the first Permanent upgrade. In that 2 weeks, I had already gotten Legacy (+1%), Heavenly Cookies(+10%), How to Train Your Dragon (Breath of Milk). I also had Angels, Belphegor, and Persistent Memory as well. That took 32 more -- it took me two weeks to get to 132 Prestige. And I didn't stop when I had that 100, I had enough to buy the boxes of cookies, and the Starter Kit as well.

I'll concede that your method may be faster than waiting for 101 prestige--I'll see when I get there on this fresh run I've started. However, I stand by my first statement that you should absolutely not ascend with only 1 level of prestige. That should be faster to prove, and I'll post here when I do. There's no way a 1% boost helps enough to be worth spending all that time getting back to a decent CPS.

edit for clarification: I'll post back here when I get to 4 prestige points in my single run. My hypothesis is the ratio of time it takes to get the first point, to getting the next 3 will be bigger than 2.75:3.04

1 day 1 hour for the first prestige point, so I'll multiply my times by 2.5 to compare.
    Post edited by Billabo on
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
    edited May 2
    Bear in mind, my numbers were without the Garden, That hadn't gone live in the main game yet when I started, nor had the change where you don't have to ascend once to start growing sugar lumps.

That second point is the big one -- It wasn't until the update made on the 19th of April that sugar lumps opened at your first billion cookies. For the first two and a half weeks of the month, I wouldn't have had access to the Grimoire or the Pantheon until I'd ascended and bought 'Legacy'. It wasn't the 1% multiplier that helped. It was getting those two open that helped.
    Post edited by Maddie on
    Ok, so it sounds like you agree that in the current version where you don't need to ascend to unlock sugar lumps, you shouldn't ascend with only 1 prestige point. That is a good point about the importance of sugar lumps, though. The fresh run I was thinking of where I ascended with 250 prestige, sugar lumps didn't exist yet, so I didn't even take them into consideration here.
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
    I don't know whether you should or not. Even if they start when you make your first billion, you're still waiting a day for the first one to ripen,an d another day for the second one. It's still going to take three days to get all three mini-games open. I don't know which one is the best on to start with (I'm leaning toward the Grimoire, because Conjure Baked Goods.)

I do know that under the old system, waiting until you had 101 prestige points to even unlock the sugar lumps made your first ascension far slower than it needed to be.
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    I'd go for the Pantheon first, because Godzamok, but that's me.
    edited May 2
    If you're just starting the game, are you going to be selling buildings? I wouldn't; if you don't have Train Your Dragon, you can't get Shatterer, so you're selling for 50%. If you're selling to drop your CPS to get seeds, you don't want the Godzamok boost.

I think I'm going to change my position somewhat, to "ascend at 1, 13 or 113".

1 starts the whole shebang off.

13 gets you Legacy (1 chip /+13%) , Heavenly Cookie (+10% / 3 chips) and How To Train Your Dragon (9 chips), which gives you Breath of Milk for 31 million cookies, which is a big boost; exactly how big depends on how many achievements you managed before you got there. And there's no reason to not have at least 60 -- at least two, and probably three or four for each building, 'Elders' for having 7 building grannies, half a dozen 'ascend with x' ones, several "Make x a second" ones, plus there are at least half-a-dozen freebies -- the silly ones, like sell a grannie, dunk the big cookie, click the little cookie, name your bakery, name your bakery Orteil, click the news ticker 50 times, click on this achievement square. Then there are the ones for harvesting a sugar lump, casting spells, clicking golden cookies...

If you're going to hang on to 101, you might as well hang on to 113, and get those other 2 as well.
    You sell buildings during Click frenzies.
    is activating the perfect idling cheating?
    also what should I slot into the temple thing

also what should I slot into the temple thing

Depends on what you want to do.
    Yes, you can sell buildings during a click frenzy. How often do those happen? You can fire off Conjure almost from the beginning, and by the time you've got 20 (I think it's 20) Wizard Towers, you can fire it off twice on a full mana charge. Playing the odds, I think you'd get more spamming Conjure than waiting for a Click Frenzy. Remember, we're talking about very first run-through on a brand-new game here.
    Click frenzies happen often enough that the cookie gain from Godzamok-fueled Click frenzies is worth it IMO.
    Alright, since I said I would update once my trial new run got to +4 prestige:
    It took me 1 day, 1 hour to get to +1 prestige, and then the additional +3 took me another 1 day, 4 hours. I do wish I had manually kept track of how many hours I was active, and closed the game when not active, but oh well.

For comparison with Maddie's first 2 ascensions, I'll multiply my times by 2.5. That brings the second portion up to 2 days, 22 hours, only 3 hours shy of her second ascension time. So, I do stand by my statement that you shouldn't ascend with only 1 prestige point, but it looks like it won't really set you back if you do. In fact, simply for the sake of the achievements for ascending X times, you could say it's better to do it Maddie's way.

Personally, I enjoy long runs better, but I do know they're not optimal.
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
    Thanks for doing that, Billabo. Seriously. It's good to be back-checked like that.

And you raise an interesting and important point; that some people may find making long runs more satisfying, while others (like me, I admit) get bored and want to see some progress, even if it's not great leaping gains. That's not something that can be plugged into a spread sheet and quantified, though, so it's something that I need to remember to mention when I'm offering advice on what strategy to use.