Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

soul searching

itsIndyitsIndy Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
i'm in search of a religion, or something to believe in, that would actually help me find myself.

i've grown up in a strict Catholic home and have attended to a Christian private school, both at the same time involving me disagreeing with their beliefs. I share beliefs with Satanism (i do not sacrifice animals or anything, because that's probably why Satanism has a bad rep), I find Taoism and Buddhism interesting, and yet I don't think I'm willing to comply with a religion that says that God(s) made us, so we must obey.

going through various religious labels, i've clearly studied and tried a lot of these. for somebody who wants to find God, i have trouble turning to the right one.

i've been starting to think He doesn't exist, so i've been doing meditation for a while and focusing more on where i stand morally. i saw a quote somewhere that said "Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told regardless of what is right." so i've been thinking really hard because at many times i can't get through situations alone.

anyway, i've been rambling too long and i don't know if this makes any sense. if it somehow does, thanks for reading. If you have any pointers, please direct me.

tl;dr : I disagree with Christianity, despite growing up in a Christian home. Help.
test

Comments

• iceklausiceklaus Member Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭
    The irony is that thinking "this is bad" and "this is wrong" is a very christian thing.

Keep reading and searching. But look at things differently, don't analyze to find out if a path is wright or wrong, search for what is relevant in each path, and pave your own.

Try reading Nietzsche, Kant, Maquiavel, Sartre and other philosophers, also educators like piaget and vigotsky, in the MO I described in the previous paragraph. Try to spot what is ironic, what is exaggeration and what is preposterous. Try to understand why the authors thought that way instead of labeling them as wrong.

I have a thing I always say to my friends: the right choice is the one you follow through.
    the ones who dare have lives woth dying for

shhhhh... nothing to see here
  • BillaboBillabo Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,278 Mod
    I grew up Catholic, and ironically right after I went through Confirmation is when I stopped going to church. I think you don't need a new religion to replace it; just have your own set of morals that you follow. Believe in kindness to others... or don't. It's up to you what you think is important.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • ViniVini Member Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't help more than what ice and Billabo have said, but I can help clear up a misconception.
    itsIndy said:

I share beliefs with Satanism (i do not sacrifice animals or anything, because that's probably why Satanism has a bad rep)

Satanism has nothing to do blood rituals. If anything, old school Christianity and Islam are the ones known for sacrificing animals.

Satanism is about rebelling and pride. Going against paradigms, be they society's or yours, and put yourself on the high pedestal that other religions would place their god.

The worship of daemonic beings isn't Satanism. It could or could not be a religion, with a cult/church and all, but the borrowed image of Beelzebub and name of Satan are something other than traditional Satanism.
    (Or maybe THAT is traditional Satanism. Either way, today the word is more about the value of self.)

• leunleun Member Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    convert to islam so you can have 4 wives