Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Oversight: some plants require a degree in rocket science to unlock

GouchnoxGouchnox Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Due to how invasive some fungi are, some plants are impossible to unlock if you don't already know precisely the exact setup to unlock them. And boy are those setups convoluted to do.

Greenrot:
Greenrot is bread from 1 White Mildew and 1 Ordinary Clover, at a weight of 0.005

That being said 1 White Mildew spreads on its own into Brown Mold at a weight of 0.5, which means you first need to prevent the grown of Brown Mold in order to get your Greenrot. In order to do that, you need to have 2 Brown Molds adjacent to every plot that could grow a Brown Mold. But since you're adding in Brown Mold to the mix, you also need to prevent its spread into White Mildew by having every plot where a White Mildew could spawn be adjacent to 2 White Mildew.

Then you have to consider that, by itself, the Ordinary Clover also spreads around if there are 2 or more clovers adjacent to 1 tile.

Conclusion: in order to successfully unlock Greenrot (mandatory to unlock 2 other plants), you need plots that are adjacent to 2 White Mildews, 2 Brown Molds, but no more than 1 Ordinary Clovers. Here's what this looks like:

(where red and dark red are the fungi and green is the clover, this gives you only 8 spots to grow stuff)

Suggestion to fix this: rebalancing the weight values so that Greenrot still has a chance to spawn even though other fungi could also potentially spawn there.

Crumbspore:
Crumbspore is necessary to unlock 5 other plants, that being said it spreads on its own and its spread is only prevented if there are 3 other Crumbspores adjacent to where you want your plant to be. This means that in order to spawn any of the 5 new plants, you need plots that have 3 neighbouring Crumbspores and 1 other breeder plant. Once again, the setups are kinda ridiculous, and also frustrating if you consider that Crumbspore can destroy nearby plants (ie your breeder plants).
I go into much further details on this reddit post, with pics and stuff.
image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
Tagged:

Comments

• MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 170 ✭✭
    And this is why I'm not playing with the garden mini-game. Functionally, it's not actually a minigame, it's a whole other full game on its own.
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Maddie said:

And this is why I'm not playing with the garden mini-game. Functionally, it's not actually a minigame, it's a whole other full game on its own.

That's a good point; it is by far the most complex system in Cookie Clicker, and I personally don't think that is a good thing.

Are the new plants even worth all this work? I think I'll be content just stacking CpS buff GCs with my Bakeberries.
  • sharklasersharklaser Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited April 16
    i don't get a word of what you are saying, yet this is a fucking game about clicking a picture of a cookie and using portals and shit
    what's a signature
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 170 ✭✭

Are the new plants even worth all this work? I think I'll be content just stacking CpS buff GCs with my Bakeberries.

At very late game levels, they may be. Otherwise, for players who aren't working with level ten farms and multiple hundreds of them, to boot, all most of the plants are is steps to achievements that are hopelessly out of reach.

And I think this may highlight one of the problems Ortiel seems to be running into with his upgrades to the game: The beta is being play-tested by a self-selected group who are overwhelmingly deep into the late game. He's not getting feedback about what his upgrades do to the early and mid-game play.

• LathundLathund Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    What would happen if the beta players had to start over from scratch every now and then, to get them out of the late game?
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited April 18
    Maddie said:

The garden's fun and all, in my opinion, but ultimately here's what you've got to do: unlock every seed (achievement), harvest a whole ton of mature plants (achievements), put Farms to level 9 for the full field and fill it (achievement), and sacrifice your entire seed log to the hornets (achievement plus thirteen sugar lumps), and then rebuild it. Plus, each ascension, there are six cookies you've got to get from it (chance of getting them from mature Elderwort, Bakeberry, Duketater, Green rot, Drowsyfern, and Ichorpuff, so you've at least got to unlock your seed log that far again after sacrificing it to the hornets).

Once you've done all that, there are in my view only really three courses of action: plant a bunch of Elderwort and forget about it, plant Queenbeets so that you have eight surrounding a space (with a full garden you can get four such spots), and savescum for Juicy queenbeets to get sugar lumps eventually, or actually try to play it actively and min-max on Duketaters probably. (Personally I favor the second, because I value sugar lumps above anything else in the game.)

But it is much more involved than the fire-and-forget (unless you set Holobore) Pantheon or the use-it-when-you-need-it Grimoire. It pretty much demands active attention unless you're willing to settle for Elderwort.

EDIT: Well, resetting your garden now makes things a little easier in the most recent update. Benefits:

Once you've done so once, seeds are 5% cheaper and plants mature 5% sooner.

Post edited by dpareja on