Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Efficient Purchase Method

orangeLorangeL Member Posts: 4
Hey
So I was wondering what the best way to buy buildings was - obviously buying whichever is the cheapest is not correct because some were made to just be more expensive and saved up for. But sometimes I feel like I go for either expensive or cheap too much - so I was wondering what was a way to find/use a quick balance was?
Thanks!

Comments

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Determine how much buying a building will add to your CpS (taking into account synergies, Grandma types, and Fingers upgrades), and buy the one that gives you the best additional-CpS--to--cost ratio. (You can do the same with upgrades.)
  • orangeLorangeL Member Posts: 4
    Hypothetically, if a shipment had five times the CpS per building of a wizard tower, should you buy the shipment until it is 5 times the price of the wizard tower?
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    It's not what the Shipment itself adds, it's what it adds when you take into account its effects on other buildings. But yes, the general idea is to buy buildings to try to make the additional-CpS--to--cost ratio roughly the same for all of them, and buy an upgrade when it's a better purchase than any building.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    edited April 14
    I did this analysis of best buying strategy ages ago, so I don't think I feel like repeating it in full. To summarise, the best item to buy next is the one for which the quantity
    C * (1/P + 1/dP)
    is smallest, where
    C = cost of item
    P = current production
    dP = increase in production from purchase of the item.

This makes sense if you think of it as the sum of two terms:

C/P is the waiting time at current production rate to accumulate sufficient cookies for the purchase.

C/dP is the time required after the purchase to reach the break-even point, i.e. the point where the number of cookies available is the same as what it would have been had the purchase not been made. After this point you are ahead, because P has increased.

Most of the time dP is much smaller than P, so the formula reduces to C/dP.

This applies to buying any item where the cost and the resultant increase in production can be calculated explicitly: buildings, building upgrades, cookies, golden switch, synergies and even some of the dragon auras.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    orangeL said:

Hey
    So I was wondering what the best way to buy buildings was - obviously buying whichever is the cheapest is not correct because some were made to just be more expensive and saved up for. But sometimes I feel like I go for either expensive or cheap too much - so I was wondering what was a way to find/use a quick balance was?
    Thanks!

You need to start up a spreadsheet my young padawan

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    You have much to learn, grasshopper.