Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

A Cloning Discussion (Because I am bored)

ChickenChronicles49ChickenChronicles49 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
Let's say that you were to clone yourself. It's not the scientific form of cloning, with cross-breeding/genetic engineering or any of that, but rather a replica of yourself complete with all of your current memories and traits appearing beside you. But the clone does not share your thoughts after it is created, and therefore becomes its own conscious lifeform. How long, from the point of the cloning, do you think it would take for the clone to begin to act differently and develop its own habits and traits that are separate from your own? This could also be dependent on how far away the clone lives from you. For example, say that the clone just appears in a completely different country, and you don't even realize that it exists (though, this would be a bit weird for the clone, because it is created with your memories, so it wouldn't have any idea how it got in the foreign place it's in). Or, you could just say that your clone follows you around and is always nearby. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    You can look at studies on identical twins for an idea on this. They have individual personalities despite having identical DNA and raised in identical (or close to identical) environments. One of the main factors in how your clones diverge would be how old you are when you do it. Over a longer time period, you have more divergence in gene expression. Gene expression is not as significant in adulthood as it is during development, although it can influence personality when you have brain fuckups going on. The influence of Tau proteins has been written about lots in the last decade, this is the protein formed from microconcussions that leads to the brain damage seen in boxers and other contact sports players (and even soccer players bc they head the ball).

If the clones are in different environments, there will be more rapid divergence due to different experiences. EG one clone might experience trauma which affects them deeply. So your clone may begin to diverge over the course of several years due to what's going on in the brain being slightly different to you, and this will be additionally influenced by events.

• ChickenChronicles49ChickenChronicles49 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I agree with the points and rates of diversion. Also, I thought of something else that would be pretty weird. Since the clone has all of your memories until the precise moment that they are created, they would be an identical character to yourself upon creation. As such, if the cloning took place in a dark room where you couldn't see anything, and you had already been cloned by the time you exited the room, it would be impossible to tell which one of you is the clone. Once the cloning takes place, both of you would just initially assume that you are the original and the other is the clone. I don't know, it's late, I just wanted to discuss this for some reason.
  • MetronomeFanaticMetronomeFanatic Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    My duplicate would be a very different person after a month to cope with the stress of being reduced to a biological computer.
  • leunleun Member Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    i think id kill myself if i had to put up with myself
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Stewie's clone was much better. Just dumb enough to do everything he was told and think Stewie was the best thing going.

• ViniVini Member Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's say that you were to clone yourself.

if the cloning took place in a dark room [...] it would be impossible to tell which one of you is the clone.

False. If I did the cloning, I would know it. If my clone has my memories, it would also know it. We both know that and that the other knows that.

If you meant that someone else did the cloning, then it doesn't matter.
    If fact, it doesn't matter who's the clone in any case if said cloning is perfect down to the behavior and interaction between molecules. Of course, that comes with its own problems, like creation of matter and stuff, but we can ignore not only that, but also the eventual discussion of "do clones have souls".

Now, how long does it take for the clone to become someone significantly different than I, even if genetically identical? I'd give me half a year.
    I mean, if I had not the opportunity, but pretty much an obligation to leave my current life behind, it wouldn't take me long to either succumb to the world's trials and tribulations or become successful.

My duplicate would be a very different person after a month to cope with the stress of being reduced to a biological computer.

Doesn't more people mean more processing power though? We should start cloning everyone and everything we can and take comfort in knowing it will get us to the question faster.

• iceklausiceklaus Member Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭
    My original self is a busy person, I try, as doppelganger, to assist him by doing stuff like posting in the forum and consuming a minimum of resources.
    the ones who dare have lives woth dying for

shhhhh... nothing to see here