Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Garden minigame

Comments

• adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    Wow this is so overwhelming. Having been sleeping in a tent for the past two weeks I have much to catch up on. Thanks everyone for your efforts to share the info around. Someone keeps mentioning the wiki guide, maybe link it here so we can have all our sources together?

• blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    If you are grinding Duketaters as I plan to do (just unlocked the seed today) I think delaying ascension will net you more Prestige in the long run. Prestige and Prestige CpS bonus don't really do much when at this stage of the game, so I personally would rather stay in a single ascension to grind for CpS and Cookies Baked achievements before I worry about gaining that Prestige. I'll probably ascend somewhere between 100 - 150 billion total Prestige, or when I have a large enough bank that Duketater rewards are capped by limited CpS buffs and not 8% of bank.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Wow this is so overwhelming. Having been sleeping in a tent for the past two weeks I have much to catch up on. Thanks everyone for your efforts to share the info around. Someone keeps mentioning the wiki guide, maybe link it here so we can have all our sources together?

There is a link on the Info page of the game itself, along with links to this site and to the Discord site. "Having all sources together" is indeed a good idea, and the Info page seems as good a place as any.
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, there are four strategies when it comes to the Garden:

1. Fire-and-forget. Plant Elderwort as early as practical, set Clay and let it run.

2. Cookies. Plant Duketaters when you have rusts or Cursed finger, keep your bank high and harvest when you've got big boosts.

3. Sugar lumps #1. Plant Queenbeets in the appropriate pattern to get Juicy queenbeets, let those grow for sugar lumps.

4. Sugar lumps #2. Finish your seed log, sacrifice for 10 lumps, repeat. (You've got to do this once, of course, for Seedless to nay, and it gets easier once you have that achievement.)
  • BillaboBillabo Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,268 Mod

I think they're just referring to the Garden page of the wiki.
    http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Garden
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • Asbestos_Free_CookieAsbestos_Free_Cookie Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Billabo said:

I think they're just referring to the Garden page of the wiki.
    http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Garden
    In at least one case, I've referred to the document link in the 3rd paragraph of the garden page.
    edited April 27
    dpareja said:

1. Fire-and-forget. Plant Elderwort as early as practical, set Clay and let it run.

2. Cookies. Plant Duketaters when you have rusts or Cursed finger, keep your bank high and harvest when you've got big boosts.

3. Sugar lumps #1. Plant Queenbeets in the appropriate pattern to get Juicy queenbeets, let those grow for sugar lumps.

4. Sugar lumps #2. Finish your seed log, sacrifice for 10 lumps, repeat. (You've got to do this once, of course, for Seedless to nay, and it gets easier once you have that achievement.)

I was thinking of getting the achievement, then unlocking all the plants I need to get the upgrades I don't have yet and unlock juicy queen beats and fill my entire level 9 grid with juicy queen beats. Getting the achievement speeds up maturing time and lowers seed cost (also increases upgrade drop of plants).

I should be waiting till I have a golden cookie to harvest the stuff that gives you an amount of cookie based on CPS. I have already been using my worship slots, and even flicking my golden switch off and on to manipulate seed costs and plant harvesting rewards.

That said, fire-and-forget after I get the achievement certainly has an appeal and is something I've been thinking about.

I was thinking of getting the achievement, then unlocking all the plants I need to get the upgrades I don't have yet and unlock juicy queen beats and fill my entire level 9 grid with juicy queen beats. Getting the achievement speeds up maturing time and lowers seed cost (also increases upgrade drop of plants).

I should be waiting till I have a golden cookie to harvest the stuff that gives you an amount of cookie based on CPS. I have already been using my worship slots, and even flicking my golden switch off and on to manipulate seed costs and plant harvesting rewards.

That said, fire-and-forget after I get the achievement certainly has an appeal and is something I've been thinking about.

It increases the probability that plants will drop their upgrades... but you can savescum those, and they're unlocked forevermore (even if you sacrifice your seed log), so you can easily get them before getting Seedless to nay.

As for Juicy queenbeets, they can't be planted. Your best bet is to plant thusly:

QQQQQQ
    QOQQOQ
    QQQQQQ
    QQQQQQ
    QOQQOQ
    QQQQQQ

Plant a Queenbeet in the thirty-two Q spots. Leave the other four ((2,2), (2,5), (5,2), (5,5)) empty (marked with O). Those four spots can spawn a Juicy queenbeet (though you will likely have to savescum for them).
  • BillaboBillabo Moderator, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,268 Mod
    edited April 27
    QQQQQQ
    QOQQOQ
    QQQQQQ
    QQQQQQ
    QOQQOQ
    QQQQQQ
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • AmelieAmelie Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited April 27
    Or if you're budget conscious, or maybe even have only a 5x5 grid,
    QQQQQ
    Q+Q+Q
    QQQQQ
    Q+Q+Q
    QQQQQ

Though I've tried various configurations all week and have yet to see one juicy beet. Do they not live long or something?, cause there have been hours I forgot to check on the game.
  • TumaluTumalu Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Juicy Queenbeets take a VERY long time to mature and are supposed to be immune to weeds, so if you don't see one it's because it didn't ever happen. The chance is supposed to be less than 1% even with wood chips on, is the thing. Easily the hardest plant to generate; I'd just put up the queenbeets with wood chips right before you go to sleep or to school/work, since the JQB won't be going anywhere once it manages to grow.

Miraculously I got one on like the first tick after my queenbeets matured. I should have bought a lottery ticket.
    I am unhappy to report that Duketaters are not nearly as feasible as I once thought for generating butt-tons of cookies. The variable growth of each plant has left me with a plot of 35 'taters, with remaining maturation times ranging from 106 to 15 ticks though they were all planted at the same time. It wouldn't be such a problem if the "Mature in about X hours, Y minutes (Z ticks)" text for each plant was accurate. One plant has gone from an estimate of 9 ticks remaining to mature over the course of 3 actual ticks.

In order to get any returns on my 'taters, I have to spend considerably more time stacking golden cookie buffs and only harvest a few at a time. This is okay, but makes me far less interested in investing time into the Garden.

I know this isn't a suggestion thread, but what would you all think about a soil type that minimizes maturation variance in growing plants? I think that would complement Clay or Pebbles nicely.
    edited April 27
    I'm pretty sure the entire reason Duketaters can give so many cookies is because they were intentionally designed to take a lot more effort to use.

Although a soil that provides more consistent growth -would- be useful in some cases, like this. Clay would kind of defeat the purpose of making duketaters easier though; at that point they'd take so long to mature you may as well just grow queenbeets in fertilizer. It would actually be beneficial for clay's overall purpose, though, so I'd still welcome the change.

Queenbeets collected during a frenzy grant a net profit of 5.5 hours cps, taking 3.3~4 hours maturation, minus however much is lost from the 1.5% penalty. I could calculate that, hm... (I'm trying to unlock duketaters right now, still)

Edit:You lose roughly 4 minutes of CPS during a queenbeet's growth with fertilizer. That's not that bad, compared to gaining 5.5 hours with frenzy harvest. Better if planted in a clot.

edit again: Lololol no you don't. Sorry. I calculated as if they had the 2% cps penalty from the second you seed them. In actuality you'd lose more like a minute and a half or something, so basically nothing.

The slowest Queenbeet growth still matures over twice as fast as the fastest Duketater according to wiki data, so honestly even in a world where Duketaters grew consistently, queenbeets aren't -that- much worse.
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    edited April 27
    That would be good. I'd like that. I'd like that a lot.

Doughshrooms give a decent return. And they don't have t be harvested. They just go "poof " into "up to 5 minutes worth of CPS" cookies at the end of their lifespan. You'd have to pay attention to replanting still, but they also can respawn themselves. The only real downside is that the amount the return is variable.

They might pay off better than Duketaters. I don't know if they're much more consistent in growth time, though.

Doughshrooms aren't gonna pay off better than duketaters, but you can sort of plant-and-forget. I wonder how well they manage to keep going by themselves? They aren't a consistent grower, but you don't have to harvest them yourself, so it's not as big of a problem. (However, you won't get many frenzy boosts off them either)
    dpareja said:

It increases the probability that plants will drop their upgrades... but you can savescum those, and they're unlocked forevermore (even if you sacrifice your seed log), so you can easily get them before getting Seedless to nay.

As for Juicy queenbeets, they can't be planted.

I still want the achievement, so I might as well wait. I am both disappointed and surprised that juicy queen beets can't be planted. Well, at least that makes my what to do decision easy.
    dpareja said:

I can think of a few others. (numbers are assuming garden plants stack via addition, not multiplication)
    1.Gold Clovers aren't irrelevant, with a 135% maximum GC boost. Try to get frenzied dragonflight/click frenzy? They last 2 hours with clay.
    2.Drowsyferns are a solid fire-and-forget that last over 7 days after maturing with clay, as long as you're using the golden switch. 135% cps boost
    4.Glovemorels are good if you've "stocked" a click frenzy forced hand of fate, I hear that's a thing.
    5.IIRC, Wrinkler boosts apply when popped, not over time; plant a field of wrinklegills right before popping for 45% cookie boost
    6/7/8.Queenbeets are a less powerful, but much easier-to-use duketater, and keenmoss is great when you need that. Cheapcaps is 9% building discount at max.

Elderwort is OK too and sugar lumps is sugar lumps.
    Wrinklegills actually increase how much wrinklers eat, not how much they give back. So that doesn't work.

And I suppose I'm biased in favour of sugar lumps, since I'm definitely going for Queenbeet/Juicy queenbeet harvesting.
    dpareja said:

Wrinklegills actually increase how much wrinklers eat, not how much they give back. So that doesn't work.

Ah, is that so? I knew I'd heard Skruuia in the panthenon worked for "swap in, pop wrinkler, swap out". I was hoping the plant worked the same.

And, that's a strong point. You can farm queenbeets for cookies while attempting to generate juicy queenbeets. It means you do leave them at mature for awhile so it's slower, but SUGAR LUMPS
    Oh, I don't even really care about the cookies from the Queenbeets--I'll pop them during any boost, even just a Frenzy. SUGAR LUMPS.

what would you all think about a soil type that minimizes maturation variance in growing plants? I think that would complement Clay or Pebbles nicely.

Wouldn't elderwort contribute to this by reducing maturation time?

edited April 28
    It's not very efficient to surround duketaters in tons of elderworts if you're trying to get a bunch of cookies out of it. Elderwort aging bonus is pretty tiny. (Although I made a suggestion thread that it should be boosted, that would be super cool)

8 elderworts+fertilizers is only 19% aging boost, so it's pretty much only relevant on juicy queenbeets. That's encouragement to use the "inefficient" queenbeet farming that takes up the entire 6x6 farm though, so you can swarm any juicy result in elderworts while still farming for more.
    you don't surround the plants with elderwort, you surround the elderwort as the effect is 3x3. so for every 3x3 set you have 1 elderw and 8 duketaters

edited April 28
    I mean, I guess that helps, but an elderwort in fertilizer is only going to take an average of 6 growth ticks off a duketater. For something that takes 13.5 hours to mature on average, saving 18 minutes is pretty trivial. Maybe in the future elderworts will grant more like +10% aging. (it takes 17% to equal the benefit of having another of the plant in fertilizer...)

Also, being a derp, I only just realized this morning you can use building/elder frenzies to get enormous payoffs from queenbeets/duketaters. For a 400 building frenzy on a lv9 field of queenbeets, you get 60 days worth of cps at once. Sick. If you actually get an elder frenzy, it's 999 days (provided you have enough bank). lol.

edit:Hmmm... you can Force The Hand of Fate to stack a normal frenzy ontop for 6993 days of production off the harvest, but you need 3237 days of cps in the bank to get the max benefit. XDDD
    That's why you use Godzamok/Force the Hand of Fate to get a huge bank in the first place.

Also it occurs to me that Whiskerblooms might end up paying for themselves if you have all the kittens and enough achievements. (Grow them in fertilizer, let them sit mature in clay.)
    edited April 29
    Whiskerblooms aren't bad as far as idling goes, but I think drowsyferns actually provide a better return with an ungodly longer lifespan. (over a week mature in clay)

Of course, whiskerblooms are better for short-term use and still allow you to click golden cookies, but if you're playing actively you're probably better off using something else like queenbeets.
    Tumalu said:

if you're playing actively you're probably better off using something else like queenbeets.

I think we're all playing actively at least until we can tick off the seed achievements. I've only got 13 so far :(

I think we're all playing actively at least until we can tick off the seed achievements. I've only got 13 so far :(

I know most people would consider it cheating, but I'm actually considering manually unlocking each seed with code after I complete the catalog legitimately the first time and sacrifice it. If I ever need to sacrifice my garden again for lumps, then I'll earn it back so I don't just cheatily farm Sugar Lumps.
    edited April 30
    I spent the past weekend at a friend's so I was able to play this game and get up to 19 seeds in the Live and 20 in the beta. However I'm about to head back home so I'll be offline for 3-5 days depending on how many nights I decide to spend camping along the way. So I've been thinking about what to have idling, and I reckon doughshrooms and crumbspore are a good one to run in the background since they perpetuate themselves. You spend up big planting a few to begin with, but over time they will pay that back with the cookies they give spontaneously. Might not be as beneficial as elderwort but it's something to play with. Right now I have 4 doughshroom and 8 crumbspore all self generated after I unlocked doughshroom last night and let nature take its course. I'm using clay as substrate so I expect that should give an extra 25% cookies, although I'm not sure it applies in this case since it specifies "passive plant effects".

Thoughts?

Those "burst into cookies" effects are not passive. The soil has no effect on them.