Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Garden minigame

Comments

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    The new Garden Info popup says that the garden is wiped on ascension, though the seeds remain. Does that mean that you can't freeze the garden and preserve it from one run to the next?
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 96 ✭✭

The new Garden Info popup says that the garden is wiped on ascension, though the seeds remain. Does that mean that you can't freeze the garden and preserve it from one run to the next?

That is correct.

I'm excited to see how ascensions will be used to exploit the low CpS from starting a new run for Prestige level grinding or other strategies during endgame.

Also, my full Wrinkler CpS nearly doubled when I refreshed to the newly released beta. Thoughts as to how it would change so much?
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    I am very unhappy I didn't wait for a suitable buff to harvest my BB field yesterday before leaving on my camping trip. I had enough internet at my first stop last night to see there was an update discussion on reddit, but not to run the game. Now I'm sitting in a library in a small country town clicking wrath cookies. FML.

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    So, spoilers about the garden updates...

There's a plant that will give you a sugar lump when you harvest it once it matures, but you can't plant it. It also grows incredibly slowly.

On the other hand, if you unlock every seed (including the aforementioned one), then wipe your garden entirely, you'll get 13 lumps (plus the 1 you got from the aforementioned plant).

Which is the better strategy for getting sugar lumps?

Keep in mind that there are six cookies that can only be obtained by harvesting certain mature plants, so if you wipe your garden you've got to get those plants back to get those cookies again (in future runs).

You do have to wipe your garden once in order to get that achievement.

Personally, I'm inclined to just wipe once for the achievement, then regularly gun for the sugar plant.

Also, my full Wrinkler CpS nearly doubled when I refreshed to the newly released beta. Thoughts as to how it would change so much?

Are you suggesting this is something to do with the workings of the wrinklers? Did the "naked" CpS (i.e. the total building production before being eroded by any wrinklers) also change?

In the Info for the latest update it says "reverted (sic) the nerf the buildnig CpS...", so that might explain the change you are seeing.

I have stopped trying to keep my spreadsheet up to date with changes in the beta. I consider the live game my "serious" play, and I play the beta just to see what's in it and for trying things out.

Are you suggesting this is something to do with the workings of the wrinklers? Did the "naked" CpS (i.e. the total building production before being eroded by any wrinklers) also change?

In the Info for the latest update it says "reverted (sic) the nerf the buildnig CpS...", so that might explain the change you are seeing.

I have stopped trying to keep my spreadsheet up to date with changes in the beta. I consider the live game my "serious" play, and I play the beta just to see what's in it and for trying things out.
    I only mentioned my "Wrinkler" CpS because I didn't know what my "naked" CpS was before the updated beta, but I imagine it too nearly doubled for a reason I can't explain.

That's what I was thinking at first, but there is also the nerf to the last two kitten upgrades. Could the building production nerf/unnerf have really been that severe?
  • dr_flashdr_flash Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Does this whole garden thing have ANY serious impact on cps? How do I ever get past Baker wheat?
    Plant in a way that has two Baker's wheat around empty squares, as in these patterns:

https://imgur.com/a/j6RDd
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 170 ✭✭
    edited April 18
    It can have an impact, once you get your Farms to at least level 3, so that you have a 3*3 plot. With a 2*2 or 2*3 plot, you can't really get enough plants in there to make a noticeable difference.

2 Baker's Wheat can also give you a Thumb Corn, and between Thumb Corn and Baker's Wheat you can get Crone Rice. That does have a nice effect, although its slow to mature.

But early and mid-game, no, it doesn't really do much for CPS.
    OK I'll be trying that, thanks. My garden is 2x3 atm.
  • SekhmetSekhmet Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Has anyone got details on the new plants? How to get them, etc.
    dpareja said:

Plant in a way that has two Baker's wheat around empty squares, as in these patterns:

https://imgur.com/a/j6RDd

Is it a matter of chance? I have 2x3 plot with both rows empty-BW-empty. Still only other BW grows around it...?
    It is a matter of chance, for sure.
    How faint would that chance be?
    Initially, not that faint. You ideally want to get 300 Farms to have the Wood chips available.

Some plants are an absolute b*tch to get, though.
    I'm at 570 Farms and indeed on wood chips. So I guess I'll just wait now.
    edited April 18
    Also, there's one plant (EDIT: actually at least two plants) that you literally cannot get without at least a 3x3 garden, so make sure to have Level 3 Farms.

Plus there's an achievement for filling your garden, which requires Level 9 Farms.
    I don't know why I just realized this, but it seems unintuitive to have the game keep track of mature harvested plants and to have achievements about harvesting so many. Most plants don't have any benefit to harvesting them and most just make you lose that plant's buff sooner than if you just let it expire.

For example, plants like Baker's Wheat actually leaves you with less cookies than before you plant it, making its only purpose to unlock other seeds.

I think that lower level plants need a buff, even just a small one, so that we aren't in the red for playing a minigame. Either make them more powerful or give a standard seed planting cost refund to every plant.
  • jackthecookiejackthecookie Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    oh man, this game is becoming more active playing than idle game if plants wither after x hrs.

other addons I haven't found any use (no idea if there are achievements) but this I apparently have to use..
    Ah, there's cronerice :) Mature by tomorrow :D But hey, that's about the same time as my next sugar lump which will allow me to extend the plot to 3x3 :)
    You need a 3x3 plot to complete the seed log.

Also, there are only two immortal plants, Elderwort and Everdaisy, and the latter only gives benefits within the minigame. If you want to treat the Garden as fire-and-forget, you'll have to get all the achievements and cookies (they remain unlocked on all future runs), then just plant Elderwort (I recommenand let it sit there for the entire run.
    Is there an up-to-date mutation chart somewhere? (Not planting layouts, a chart of which plants you need to breed mutations.) I can't find it.
    edited April 21
    (Different subject from my last comment, hence the double post)

The Garden finally gives a reason to slot Dotjeiess.

Build up your bank.

Wait for a Clot or a building debuff

(Optional: Swap your Aura for Earth Shatterer so you get 85% of the price back when you sell a building))

Sell a raft of buildings to drop your CPS (making the seeds less expensive.)

Buy your seeds.

Slot Dotjeiess into the Diamond slot. Your replacement buildings are now 7% cheaper.

When you're done buying back what you sold, swap him back out (removing a spirit doesn't use a swap.)

If you plan ahead, you can do this with only two swaps, so you don't have to wait 16 hours to recharge or use a sugar lump)
    Is it worth it? I'd have to do the maths, but I am sceptical. It enables you to make a profit on your garden, sure, but against that you lose, in the best case scenario, 8% of the value of the buildings you sell and repurchase. To make a tangible difference to CpS you are going to have to sell valuable buildings.

If you are going to sell anything, grandmas might be the best. Grandmas affect CpS out of proportion to what they cost, because the Grandma Types boost all the other buildings according to how many grannies you have. Nevertheless, precisely because of that fact, you probably have a lot more grandmas than anything else if your distribution is anything like balanced, so the top few are going to be very costly. (Compare the price of your next grandma with that of your next cursor or next farm.) I'd still want to do the maths.
    edited April 21
    I have not done the math, no. Frankly, I don't like math enough to enjoy doing it or even be sure I've done it right. Have at it! You won't be stepping on my toes.

Given that the seeds are all based on minutes of CPS, they're kind of going to be cost losses. But figuring out how to minimize that loss while you're in the game stage that you are still trying to get mutations and the various plant-linked upgrades and achievements seems to be worthwhile.

And I think it's worth looking at selling Mines, as well as Grannies or cursors. The synergies make them disproportionately indirectly-productive.
    Maddie said:

And I think it's worth looking at selling Mines, as well as Grannies or cursors. The synergies make them disproportionately indirectly-productive.

Yes, Mines are the other ones I would consider, because of their synergistic effect on Chancemakers.
    edited April 21

If you are going to sell anything, grandmas might be the best. Grandmas affect CpS out of proportion to what they cost, because the Grandma Types boost all the other buildings according to how many grannies you have. Nevertheless, precisely because of that fact, you probably have a lot more grandmas than anything else if your distribution is anything like balanced, so the top few are going to be very costly. (Compare the price of your next grandma with that of your next cursor or next farm.) I'd still want to do the maths.

I just realised that this paragraph is BS. It makes no difference what building you sell.

Why? Because if you have a balanced distribution of buildings, then by definition each building type gives about the same increase of CpS for the same outlay of cookies. Conversely, selling buildings to reduce CpS by a given amount will nett you roughly the same, and cost the same to replace, irrespective of which building(s) you choose.

I realised this while drifting off to sleep last night.

You're assuming a balanced build. I was thinking more about the earlier stages, before you've gotten to a completely balanced build. That's also the stage where you'll be more concerned with reducing the seed cost to bring the really expensive ones within reach.

And there's another step I just realized needs to be in there: Slot Cyclius in a negative slot. That's part of the timing issue -- you want him doing the most damage you can get when you buy the seeds. That does mean that it's almost certainly at least a two-swap maneuver...
    edited April 21
    Don't forget that it is possible to get Cursed Finger from Force the Hand of Fate and take advantage of those minimum costs.

EDIT: Though I think my strategy's going to be to try to get four Juicy queenbeets growing (you can do it with a 5x5 plot), and surround them with Elderwort to age them faster. Hit to CpS, sure, but sugar lumps are way more valuable IMO.
  • jackthecookiejackthecookie Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    so only way to get to 6x6 garden is to buy 600 farms? that's a bit costy.