Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Garden minigame

adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
Let's try and collate all the knowledge we can (what's another word for glean...) from the new minigame.

Ticks are the time it takes for a plant to transition to the next stage. There are four stages once you put the seeds in the plot: Bud, sprout, bloom, mature. Not all plants move to the next stage at the same time, eg 5 of my 6 plants just went to bloom during this experiment but I had to wait until the next tick for the 6th one. So that means all plants must be at the same stage for a full tick before they move up to the next stage.

Plots are linked to levels. I have level 2 farms which gives me six plots. I think you can go up to 20. Each plant boosts CPS, the amount of which depends on the type of soil you use.

I just looked at CPS boosts across the 4 plant stages using "dirt".

Bud:
CPS= 4.605dec
Multiplier = 68.898quin %

Sprout:
CPS= 4.647dec
Multiplier =69.515quin %

Bloom:
CPS= 4.715dec
Multiplier =70.542quin %

Mature:
CPS= 4.853dec
Multiplier =72.597quin %

I did nothing else during this time so the only other increases in CPS can be attributed to century egg etc.

So, start experimenting with the soils and see what you come up with.

Comments

• adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    Bumping this because the thread got wiped for some reason and has now been restored. The following text is from this reddit thread.

AL: average lifespan, AM:average maturation

Baker's Wheat seed: AL: 1h,2m. AM: 21m, 52s. Effect: +1% cps

Thumbcorn: AL:1h, 11m. AM: 14m, 17s Effect: +1% cookies per click

Cronerice seed: AL: 11h, 6m. AM: 9h, 26m Effect: +1% grandma cps

Gildmillet seed: AL: 2h, 5m. AM: 50m. Effect: +1% GC gains

Ordinary Clover seed: AL: 4h, 45 minutes. AM: 1h, 25m. Effect: +1%GC frequency

Golden Clover seed: AL: 58m, 49s. AM: 17m, 38s. Effect: +3% GC frequency

Shimmerlily seed: AL: 1h, 2m. AM: 46m, 52s. Effects: +1% GC gains +1% GC frequency +1% item drops

Elderwort seed: AL: Immortal. AM: 10h. Effects: +1% wrath cookie gains +1% wrath cookie frequency +0.5% Grandma cps

Bakeberry: AL: 5h, 33m: AM: 2h, 46m. Effects: +2% CPS Harvest when mature for +40 min cps

Chocoroot seed: AL: 2h, 5m. AM: 31m, 15s. Effects: +1%cps Harvest when mature for +3m cps

White Chocoroot seed: AL: 2h, 5m. AM: 31m, 15s. Effects: +1% GC gains Harvest when mature for +3m cps

White Mildew seed: AL: 27m, 46s. AM: 20m, 49s. Effects: spreads quickly, may spread as brown mold. +2% cps

Brown Mold seed: AL:27m, 46s. AM: 20m, 49s. Effects: spreads quickly, may spread as white mildew. -2% cps

Meddleweed seed: AL: 37m, 28s. AM:19m, 38s. Effects: grows in empty plots. May kill other plants. Useless

• JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 196 ✭✭
    edited April 2

Plots are linked to levels. I have level 2 farms which gives me six plots. I think you can go up to 20.

Just to add to the available data, I experimented with taking my Farms to level 10 and that gives me 36 plots.

Great work so far on making sense of gardening. It's always defeated me.

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone discovered yet how to "cross-breed"? Does cross-breeding generate new varieties over and above the 14 seed varieties listed?

Also, when I started the only seed available was Baker's Wheat; I obtained two more varieties by harvesting the corresponding mature plants, howewver I was not continually watching the screen so I did not see these new plants appear. Question: Do they appear from random mutations of plants already growing, do they start growing spontaneously in empty plots, or what?
    edited April 2
    It happens due to combinations of neighbouring plants. You must have missed Adam's post from reddit over here.
    Never having heard of "imgur", I did indeed miss it.

I'm starting to lose track of all the information sources. A pity it can't all just go in the Wiki.
  • DatreborDatrebor Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    How do I play this mini game?
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Datrebor said:

Same way as with the Pantheon and the Grimoire. Have Farms at level 1 (at least) and open it from the main screen.

Plots are linked to levels. I have level 2 farms which gives me six plots. I think you can go up to 20.

This was a bad guess, the max plot size is 36. There is also a series of graphics here explaining optimal planting strategy thanks to this reddit thread.

I have given up on experimenting with CPS boosts for the time being. I'll do more of that later. Right now I'm focussing on getting the different seeds since there are a few which look beneficial to idle play.

This was a bad guess, the max plot size is 36. There is also a series of graphics here explaining optimal planting strategy thanks to this reddit thread.

I have given up on experimenting with CPS boosts for the time being. I'll do more of that later. Right now I'm focussing on getting the different seeds since there are a few which look beneficial to idle play.

I might be wrong, but my first guess is that Bakeberries will be the shit. (And specifically for non-Golden Switch play: plant them during a Clot or worse--Cursed Finger is amazing for this--and harvest them during a Frenzy or better.)
    I'm having a lot of trouble getting bakeberries, been trying for two days. Just leveled up to 3 farms, so now I've got a 9x9 grid. The shitty thing is you have to more or less play actively or at least keep an eye on them so you can harvest the first seed.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting bakeberries, been trying for two days. Just leveled up to 3 farms, so now I've got a 9x9 grid. The shitty thing is you have to more or less play actively or at least keep an eye on them so you can harvest the first seed.

A 9x9? Or a 3x3?

At least you only have to play actively once, seeds remain unlocked across ascensions.

But running the numbers, it's harder to get Golden Clovers (best chance: field of Clovers) than Bakeberries (only chance: field of Baker's Wheat). But Baker's Wheat is a lot cheaper than Clovers, so...

Elderwort's also a pain to get, since it's a crossbreed of Cronerice and Shimmerlily, and Cronerice takes forever to mature while Shimmerlilies will only be mature for two or three ticks, so not very many chances to get Elderwort to appear.
    JezDavis said:

A 9x9? Or a 3x3?

3x3 D'oh.

From reddit: "There are achievements for harvesting 100 and 1000 mature plants. There is also an achievement for having a full sized garden (6x6, level 9), with a plant (at any stage of growth) in each spot." So these are the three new achievements in the bottom row.

Also there is an error in the table, to get shimmerlilly you need a mature gildmillet in addition to the ones listed.

dpareja said:

At least you only have to play actively once, seeds remain unlocked across ascensions.

Awesome, I was just wondering about this.

• DatreborDatrebor Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    dpareja said:

Datrebor said:

Same way as with the Pantheon and the Grimoire. Have Farms at level 1 (at least) and open it from the main screen.
    My Farms are at level 5 and I have 300 of them. I don't see a button like I have for the Pantheon and the Grimoire. I playing V 2.0045 and in Easter season.
    Is there something I need to change? Thanks.
    Datrebor said:

dpareja said:

Datrebor said:

My Farms are at level 5 and I have 300 of them. I don't see a button like I have for the Pantheon and the Grimoire. I playing V 2.0045 and in Easter season.
    Is there something I need to change? Thanks.
    This game is only available ion the Beta. Export your save into the Beat and check it out.

Nailed it. Now to wait to do it for real (without levelling up to 10 first).

Full-size gardens come at level 9, but you can complete your seed collection (at least for now) even with a level 1 Farm.
    I finally got bakeberries. I'm going to start experimenting with them after my next ascension, which will be about a week away because I'm pushing for 450 Antimatters first. Spontaneous Edifice is still totally useful, it's giving me 35duo every time I use it. I'm at 445 AC now, it will probs cost about 1.5 tredecillion for the last five. I could probably get there fast using bakeberries, but I don't have time for active play right now.

Here is a bakeberry strategy from reddit which looks good, however I'm not convinced on their maths.

1. Wait for a Clot or Building Clot or Cursed Finger and mass plant Bakeberries everywhere
    2. Grow them quickly via fertilizer
    3. Once all grown, freeze your garden
    4. Once you get an Elder Frenzy, unfreeze and harvest all of them
    Here is a quick test example with a few berries and just a building frenzy.

That's 18 days and 12 hours of production per plant.
    With a full 6x6 garden of 36 berries, that's 1 years and 301 days of production.
    (changing to clay soil doesn't boost the cookie gain)

No, pretty sure that's right.

If you can get Frenzy/Elder Frenzy, it's seven times as much.
    I suppose it is this image the OP included which threw me, 36 x 26und is only 936und. My clicks are worth 5und per click, that's not eve 200 clicks. I notice however that they aren't all the same value.

Anyway, for idle play the best option seems to be load up with Baker's Wheat or cronerice in clay soil, freeze when mature, then harvest whenever. Shouldn't take long for people with level 9 to get the 1000 plants achievement, but for me it will take a couple of weeks so I'm trying to harvest every mature plant I get.

Bakeberries give a better CpS boost than Baker's Wheat or Cronerice, plus there's that bonus when you harvest them.
  • ViceVersaViceVersa Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Hmm... what exactly does "golden/wrath cookie gains" mean on some plants? Is that only direct cookie drops like from lucky/cookie storm? Or does it also affect multiplier boosts like Frenzy? Would be nice if it did...
    Also full field of golden clovers is damn OP Xd Can get Frenzy+Bulding special+something else going at the same time just from spawning cookies... Get strategic with Force the hand of fate and I don't even know Xd
    dpareja said:

Bakeberries give a better CpS boost than Baker's Wheat or Cronerice, plus there's that bonus when you harvest them.

Bakeberries cost about 60x more than baker's wheat. You have to incorporate wrath cookies to make them cost effective, and golden cookies to maximise the bonus.

edited April 5
    ViceVersa said:

Hmm... what exactly does "golden/wrath cookie gains" mean on some plants? Is that only direct cookie drops like from lucky/cookie storm? Or does it also affect multiplier boosts like Frenzy? Would be nice if it did...

Just Lucky, Cookie storm, Cookie chain (maybe another?). With Cookie storm and chain, it's only the ones that are the right colour.
    ViceVersa said:

Also full field of golden clovers is damn OP Xd Can get Frenzy+Bulding special+something else going at the same time just from spawning cookies... Get strategic with Force the hand of fate and I don't even know Xd

They are really short-lived though, this won't work (nearly as well anyway) once the Freeze bug is fixed.

EDIT: Also, it only boosts the frequency of Golden cookies. If the next cookie is a Wrath cookie, it'll take its own sweet time to appear.

dpareja said:

Bakeberries cost about 60x more than baker's wheat. You have to incorporate wrath cookies to make them cost effective, and golden cookies to maximise the bonus.
    So... you should be in One Mind, not Elder Pact or pre-Grandmapocalypse/Elder Pledge? That's probably where you should be anyway for active play, plus don't forget that if really necessary you can in theory get Clot, Cursed finger, and Elder frenzy from Force the Hand of Fate backfires.
    Yeah but I'm talking about idle play

Sure, then Baker's Wheat is fine. Though White Mildew might be better if you freeze your garden. (Until that bug is cleared up anyway.)
    dpareja said:

They are really short-lived though, this won't work (nearly as well anyway) once the Freeze bug is fixed.

I dunno... with fertilizer they mature in about 12 minutes and then last about 2 hours with clay
    edited April 6
    dpareja said:

Sure, then Baker's Wheat is fine. Though White Mildew might be better if you freeze your garden. (Until that bug is cleared up anyway.)

Kind of wish you hadn't mentioned that in the bug thread :p

Elderwort will be a good one for idle play if that UNFORESEEN BENEFIT to freezing gets nerfed.

edited April 6
    I finally got Bakeberries.

For passive play with Golden switch on, the planting cost is one hour of CpS; on harvesting I get back 40 minutes, so the nett cost is 20 minutes. For that, I get +2% CpS for however long the mature plant survives; the average is 2.25 hours, so the benefit would be 2% of that, or 2.7 minutes. Not worth it for me, obviously, but very much worth using in active play if you can take advantage of clots and frenzies.

I just realised that Baker's Wheat also returns less than the planting cost. I need to do this analysis for the other seeds; however my suspicion is that the garden is of little or no benefit in passive play, but very useful in active play. The exception is Elderwort, which costs 3 hours but which lives forever. I've decided that when and if the garden is implemented in the live version, I am going to save and close this beta version and start a new beta version from scratch to observe how the existence of the garden changes the playing experience of the early and middle game.