Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Recreate Cookie Clicker for Computer Science Project?

SnikerdoodlzSnikerdoodlz Member Posts: 2
I'm a high school student taking AP Computer Science Principles, and for the class we have to make an app. I thought that it would be cool to make a vastly simplified version of Cookie Clicker. Do I need any special permission from Orteil to use his idea?

Comments

• iceklausiceklaus Member Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    Check out the idle game maker
    http://orteil.dashnet.org/igm/
    the ones who dare have lives woth dying for

shhhhh... nothing to see here
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    The most important thing is to acknowledge where you have used someone else's work. So if you used the "Idle Game Maker" to construct a game that you conceived of yourself, you should document the fact that you used someone else's product (the Idle game maker) as opposed to writing that yourself, but you should get credit for your use of same in constructing your own game.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    I guess this is for Orteil to answer, but I would think that using the IDEA for a class assignment would be fine, as long as it was just to demonstrate software creation ability, and not used to make money from it.

Of course if you were using actually Cookie Clicker CODE, that would be a different matter. You would have to document what was your own work and what was someone else's; you should only get credit for your own work, and failure to acknowledge use of someone else's work would constitute plagiarism and would probably get you a fail. (If it was found out, that is... but I would say it's not worth taking the risk.)

Using Idle Game Maker to create your own game - I'd say that would be fine as long as you acknowledged use of it. IGM itself is copyright, but you're not presenting that as your own work; you're using it as a tool, just as you might use Java or Python or C++, all of which are publicly available programming languages, to create something that is your own work.
  • SnikerdoodlzSnikerdoodlz Member Posts: 2
    I'm using a separate environment - Code.org's AppLab. I'm not copying any code. I'm just making a simplified version based on me reconstructing Cookie Clicker. There's not really any way for me to make money off of it either :P
  • Marker9Marker9 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Then clearly, you don't need any permission. As others have said, the appropriate thing to do is simply to put plainly at the outset, "My project is a reconstruction of Orteil's legendary Cookie Clicker game." and it would also be polite to give a pointer, such as: "See URL: orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/".