Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Fixing the number notations

GouchnoxGouchnox Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I don't think I'm the only one to have a problem with this, and certainly not the first one to ask for a change, but I feel like this still needs addressing.

So in CC there's an option to turn on a Short Number notation, and it honestly seems like the only mid-to-late-game players who don't have this turned on are simply not aware of its existence. Indeed, once you get past the... let's say the quintillion cookies landmark (guesstimating here), this options is less of an aesthetic prefference and more of a "do you want to suffer from seizures or not" button.

I mean, judge for yourself:

It's already hard to read with the monospace font, so just imagine it with the usual one

With this current format, there are just no incentives to use the default notation if you have enough cookies, which completely trumps the idea of having a choice in the first place (why have a choice between two options when one of them just objectively makes your life harder). And this is a shame because not only does it undermines the usefulness of the monospace font (which is mostly used with this notation) but it kinda spoils it for people like me (and I know I'm not the only one) who prefer the scientific notation to the regular large number one.

Let me detail a little bit, if my point wasn't clear enough:

Most important information
Important information
Noteworthy information
Nearly trivial information
Screen clutter
Nomenclature

So my suggestion is simple: add an actual (ie more practical) scientific notation option to Cookie Clicker. This shouldn't be too hard, because Cookie Monster already offers that. And when a mod offers intuitive UI changes, I think that's when interesting discussions can be had about said UI.

Example: 23,508,596,845,156
Short numbers: 23,509 trillion
Scientific (cookie monster): 2.350e+13
Scientific (ideal): 2.351 e13
image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
Tagged:

Comments

• ViniVini Member Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scheduled bump in case Orteil (or someone who can directly contact him) is browsing the top discussions because even though I don't really ever turn short numbers off this is a solid suggestion and deserves some attention.

• MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Whether it uses the 'e+X' notation or the 'eX' one doesn't matter to me. But I hate that it jumps back and forth between x.y,yyy, x.yy,yyy, ,and x.yyy,yyy all the time. I was under the impression that correct scientific notation would always be x.yyy, yyy... to however many decimal places is chosen.