Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Destroy the Moon Just for the Lolz

Frank_3everestFrank_3everest Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭
edited February 6 in Playground
Because I am taking physics, I think this should be some practice that is actually fun.

We need 1.24*10^29 J to break the moon's gravitational binding energy according to one guy on this website: https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/8951/how-much-tnt-do-you-need-to-blow-up-the-moon

Because of this, let's just say that we need 1.24*10^29 N of force to destroy the moon, so in the comments, add to the Newtons of force exerted upon the moon (I know just adding all of them up is unrealistic as heck, but that's what I'm doing).

You could try doing things such as rocketing satellites into the moon or just hitting it REALLY HARD with a sledgehammer. However, you can't blow it up using conventional explosives because there is no oxygen in space. To add explosions, one must use C4 or another kind of sealed explosive.

Don't worry about calculations! (You can do them if you want, though. I'm not stopping you.) I can do them for you, delivering approximate results! (Assume impact time of .1s)

Alright, let's get crackin'!

I use compressed air to shoot a sledgehammer (9kg) at the moon really fast (200 m/s)!

Starting force: ~36000N
Current force can break: ~4.5 average femur bones
You can't make a joke with my own language and expect me to get it. I'm not that smart!-@Dasbloody
"I took things to fart"-@KhantStopButtnugget
Pantaloons are pretty much man skirts. Even though they aren't. -@MiningcookiesVIII
Congratules! Your reward is this paper cup. -@DoomlordKravoka

Dragon cave profile up in here- http://dragcave.net/user/Frank_Eeverest

Comments

• ScribbliumScribblium Member Posts: 417 ✭✭
    pew pew cave through the moon (1/10)
    Relationship Status: 30i (Imaginary)
  • ViniVini Member Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I point a standard 5 milliwatts laser at the moon.

• iceklausiceklaus Member Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Piccolo intensifies
    the ones who dare have lives woth dying for
  • BonkersTheBucketBonkersTheBucket Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Hydraulic Press VS Moon Experiment (Challange) (3:00 AM Challenge) No Click Baits...
    the one who gives AI inspiration
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭
    MORE ANVILS
    cease your tomfoolery

• BrainstormBrainstorm Member Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a very fat, giant sledgehammer and SMACK the MOON with FORCE of HELL
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    Dashnet RPG Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/6301gzzx
  • Frank_3everestFrank_3everest Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9

pew pew cave through the moon (1/10)

Sorry boi, this is gonna take longer than ten turns to win... (No tunneling is allowed...)
    Vini said:

I point a standard 5 milliwatts laser at the moon.

Hey, look! Magikarp used spash!
    TLGa2007 said:

drone spawned

Can't wait to calculate force from bullet fire...
    iceklaus said:

Piccolo intensifies

Here comes some DBZ shit...

Hydraulic Press VS Moon Experiment (Challange) (3:00 AM Challenge) No Click Baits...

You attempt to hydraulic press the moon. The moon is pretty freakin' big, but you somehow manage to get the hydraulic press around it. The press exerts about 50,000 psi, or 344,737.86 Newtons of force.

MORE ANVILS

You shoot five anvils (approx. 250 kg each) at the moon fairly quickly (200 m/s [this is gonna be the gold standard for "pretty/fairly quickly"]) with an estimated impact time of .5 seconds (due to inertia), exerting 1,000,000 Newtons of force. (That wasn't rounded or planned, I just set up the equation to be pretty clean.)

I carry a very fat, giant sledgehammer and SMACK the MOON with FORCE of HELL

The largest sledgehammer ever discovered is 64 pounds according to this website:greaterancestors.com/who-could-have-weilded-a-64lb-hammer/
    64 pounds being 29.0299 kg, it doesn't seem like too much... However, the force of hell is indeed the force of hell. Given that the Bible says that there will be twice as many people in heaven as there will be in hell at doomsday, I'm going to assume the same ratio will be accurate for today. 107,602,707,791 people have lived on earth, according to this site: prb.org/Publications/Articles/2002/HowManyPeopleHaveEverLivedonEarth.aspx Subtracting that from the current population (Approx. 7.6 billion) gives me 100,002,707,791 people that have died... ever. Oh, and only one-third of those people go to hell, so that's ~33,334,235,930. The strength of the average human can deadlift approx. 70 kg, so it's going to take two people to lift this hammer, and about five to be able to swing it. With the force of the entire population of hell (not including Satan), about 26,820,649,600 Newtons would be exerted, however, assuming that all of these people have been in hell, and are thus burn victims, this goes down to about 1,341,032,480 Newtons, instead.

NEW TOTAL: 1,342,413,218 N
    Phil Swift Bonus! (That's a lot of damage! +500)
    FINAL TOTAL FOR THE ROUND:
    1,342,413,718 N

Alright, these were interesting. Keep 'em coming!
    You can't make a joke with my own language and expect me to get it. I'm not that smart!-@Dasbloody
    Pantaloons are pretty much man skirts. Even though they aren't. -@MiningcookiesVIII

• morkysherkmorkysherk Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    I throw 4.5 average femur bones at the moon
    No good, huh? That's okay. I was counting on it already.

So what if we tried more power? After all, 5 milliwatts is pretty wimpy.

Let's try one thousand 1-watt lasers now.

launch cold fusion warheads at the moon.
    cease your tomfoolery

The mushaf, though, says that there will be much more people in hell and less than 1% of humanity in heav...

Whatever, I’ll sit on the moon, on a crater, and SHOOT DINOSAUR EGGS with the FORCE of a PTERODACTYL shooting EGGS from THREE HUNDRED METERS above GROUND

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    joint attack commence:
    piccolo's moon destructing beam, ryu's hadouken, yusuke's leigun, cyclop stares at the moon without glasses, power rangers combined canon and rambo's machinegun
  • ScribbliumScribblium Member Posts: 417 ✭✭
    OK then. pew pew write my name on the moon (pretty large) (1/10)
    Relationship Status: 30i (Imaginary)
  • SirfishSirfish Member Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    throw 23 snakes at the moon, whilist strapping explosives to the snakes
    I'm just here to do stuff and play games because I am unproductive and should learn how to do something with my life but instead i'm just going be here and do nothing
    (Holy. . . this has a lot of "research" done into it. I like it)
    Ok time to destroy this moon. Hmmm. . . oh i got it!
    I will, as JohnTron once said, "SLAP IT WITH THE MIGHT OF ZEUS. IT AIN'T NO BEAUTY PRODUCT, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT PATIENCE?"
  • professionalslackerprofessionalslacker Member Posts: 2
    Had a few things in mind but need something *really* heavy, so let's launch the worlds heaviest building.
    "palace of the parliament, bucharest" at approximately 4 million tonnes.
    We'll use the US Navy's current best railgun technology with a muzzle velocity of 2520 m/s.
    Should make a reasonable dent?
  • Frank_3everestFrank_3everest Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I throw 4.5 average femur bones at the moon

Funny. +36,000 N
    Vini said:

No good, huh? That's okay. I was counting on it already.

So what if we tried more power? After all, 5 milliwatts is pretty wimpy.

Let's try one thousand 1-watt lasers now.

Because this is not just a one-and-done thing, it will do increasing damage every round! (Because light has very little mass and I'm not calculating blunt force trauma, I'm just making shit up.)
    +50,000N

Considering that cold fusion is not yet real, the closest thing I can compare it to would be a fission bomb. The strongest one of those that has been tested would be Russia's Tsar Bomba, which output approximately 50,000 megatons of force. Converting this to Newtons gives us... 500,000,000,000,000,000 (5 x 10^17) N

The mushaf, though, says that there will be much more people in hell and less than 1% of humanity in heav...

Whatever, I’ll sit on the moon, on a crater, and SHOOT DINOSAUR EGGS with the FORCE of a PTERODACTYL shooting EGGS from THREE HUNDRED METERS above GROUND

The fuck... Okay, I'll give this a shot. I will compare the strength of the Pterodactyl to that of an ostrich. Ostriches can kill a lion in a single kick by snapping the neck, which requires about 600 lbs (272.155 kg, or 2668.93 N) of force. Using size proportions, I found the approximate strength of the largest pterodactyl's kick. That kick would be about 3867.92 N, which is kinda disappointing until you take the eggs it would be kicking at the moon, and chuck them into the equation... oh wait, they wouldn't change that at all, but the height would indeed change the speed a little, upping the force of each to about 4327.74 N. However, you aren't limited to just one kick. After about 18 kicks, your pterodactyl would most likely lose interest, so his egg-kicking would result in approximately 77,899.32 N of force.
    iceklaus said:

joint attack commence:
    piccolo's moon destructing beam, ryu's hadouken, yusuke's leigun, cyclop stares at the moon without glasses, power rangers combined canon and rambo's machinegun

I ain't got time for this...

OK then. pew pew write my name on the moon (pretty large) (1/10)

Or this...
    Sirfish said:

throw 23 snakes at the moon, whilist strapping explosives to the snakes

This one's just ridiculous, but I like it. Let's go.

Assuming that these are all as big as the world's largest snake (350 lbs, or 158.757 kg), and they all ate their body weight in TNT, exploding right after their initial impact, you would get:
    Fall Damage: 158.757 kg*2 (for TNT weight) *23 conv-> N*200m/s= ~3,219,993.2 N
    Explosion: ~35,558,427.8 N
    Bonus damage! Plane hits the moon, too! (+~528,632,776.91 N)
    Total Damage: 567,411,197.9 N

(Holy. . . this has a lot of "research" done into it. I like it)
    Ok time to destroy this moon. Hmmm. . . oh i got it!
    I will, as JohnTron once said, "SLAP IT WITH THE MIGHT OF ZEUS. IT AIN'T NO BEAUTY PRODUCT, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT PATIENCE?"

New rule, no mythical stuff. That's just OP.

Had a few things in mind but need something *really* heavy, so let's launch the worlds heaviest building.
    "palace of the parliament, bucharest" at approximately 4 million tonnes.
    We'll use the US Navy's current best railgun technology with a muzzle velocity of 2520 m/s.
    Should make a reasonable dent?

That is indeed a lot of force. After all of the conversions, the formula boils down to:
    3628738960 kg ->conv N *2520

The grand total is ~8,961,533,736,000 N, which is a "reasonable dent".

I'll add this all when I got time.

Well, that's a little better, but it's still not much at all.
    So what if we try more power?

There are some really powerful LED flashlights today. But we're not using your run-of-the-mill flashlight here.
    No.

We're using Nightsuns.
    Y'know the one, the police use those on their helicopters and stuff.

Okay, so how much is 250,000 Nightsuns for the Moon? Maybe still not enough, so add in some lenses to focus the light into a 0.5 degree arc.

build a disc laucher, fill it with anime dvd's. fire!
    four TSAR bombs
    cease your tomfoolery

• SirfishSirfish Member Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    if snakes on a plane do that much damage...

Fire a three elephants attached to Minuteman Nuclear Missiles
    I'm just here to do stuff and play games because I am unproductive and should learn how to do something with my life but instead i'm just going be here and do nothing
  • professionalslackerprofessionalslacker Member Posts: 2
    edited February 14

Considering that cold fusion is not yet real, the closest thing I can compare it to would be a fission bomb. The strongest one of those that has been tested would be Russia's Tsar Bomba, which output approximately 50,000 megatons of force. Converting this to Newtons gives us... 500,000,000,000,000,000 (5 x 10^17) N

Maths is off on this one..
    Tsar bomba was 50 megatons, with theoretical potential for 100 megatons...

Online converter (my maths is not as good as yours) says this (100mt) equates to 980665002863 Newtons per bomb.

Roughly 130 quadrillion of them in one go would be needed to reach your initial figure of 1.24*10^29 N 
    That was gonna be my first turn, but i didn't want to break the game.

Feel free to check & correct me.

Bonus maths 4u... Would 130 quadrillion tsar bombas, at 8m by 2.1m, be bigger than the moon if fitted together in their most efficient format?

Aww, no mythical stuff ;(.
    Well, I guess just have every human on earth give that moon a nice hard SLAP.
    I fire three rockets from a rocket launcher on each crater on the moon