Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

various time based events happening more slowly than they should

gauzegauze Member Posts: 6
Recently I have noticed that if I get a Clot and it's supposed to last 15 minutes, it'll last much much longer, also Grimoire refills will take hours instead of around 40 minutes like they should. What could cause this?

Using Chrome 63 on windows 8.1

Comments

• blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I've noticed that whenever I'm on another tab in Chrome everything lasts longer. Turning on the debug menu shows the framerate. Whenever I tab back into Cookie Clicker, the framerate is always between 20-35% lower than when I am actively on the CC tab.

It's my understanding that the game uses the framerate ticks to keep time, or something like that. So then if the framerate is lower than normal the game will appear to run slower. Having the Defocus option on will lower the framerate even further, thus making everything incredibly slow.

Now I've also had it to where so few frames advance per second while I'm tabbed out of CC that it neither regenerates a single point of mana over half an hour, nor will it autosave. Closing and reopening the tab usually fixes this, but remember to save first.

Hope this helps!
  • gauzegauze Member Posts: 6
    I think that's it exactly. that sucks it makes doing things much slower, which sucks when you are not cheating and can't make up for it.
  • dr_flashdr_flash Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I'm experiencing the same, though I might add it seems to make a difference how you use Chrome. I observe (no hard numbers though) that when CC runs in an inactive tab in a multi-tabbed window, it runs slower than when it runs as the only tab in an inactive window. Could that be right?
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 168 ✭✭
    I'm simultaneously running on Chrome and Firefox (two different games) and the one in Chrome runs at normal time when it's open, but if I minimize the window, Christmas, at least, slows way down -- the last "day" I started was about 28 hours ago, and it still has 8 hours to run before it expires. I don't know if the frenzies and other timed effects are similarly slow, but I think they might be.

For what it's worth, it's the only thing running in Chrome.

• gauzegauze Member Posts: 6
    man this is accumulating resources so much faster now in firefox, I wonder how much progress I lost because of this.
    Tried Firefox for about 15 hours. And it crashed. Again. I had almost forgotten about it, but there's indeed a reason why I use Chrome and not FF.
  • Joe111Joe111 Member Posts: 4
    I seem to have this issue now since last night. Not sure if it is related but I updated firefox and then it seemed to start happening. Defocus is off, only goes back to normal if I have cookie clicker in its own separate window with no other tabs open. Anyone have any ides on how to fix?
    what is exactly the issue that you have?
    I use cookie monster when I play, so I know when golden cookies spawn. If I leave cookie clicker in a tab I am not currently looking at, or don't have it in its own open window, time goes by incredibly slow in the game.

Let's say the golden cookie timer was at 200 seconds, then 30 seconds pass. It should then say 170 seconds, but it will instead be at 194. I believe it also affects the mana bar on my wizard towers. Having defocus on or off doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • ibdb2uibdb2u Member Posts: 5
    EVERYTHING in Firefox is running slow. I used to average around 25 decillion CPS including wrinklers. If I minimize my CC window, I'm now down to somewhere around 8 decillion CPS. Defocus on or off doesn't make a difference.
    ibdb2u said:

EVERYTHING in Firefox is running slow. I used to average around 25 decillion CPS including wrinklers. If I minimize my CC window, I'm now down to somewhere around 8 decillion CPS. Defocus on or off doesn't make a difference.

Is this new for you? It only started happening after I updated my firefox a few days ago.
    Joe111 said:

Is this new for you? It only started happening after I updated my firefox a few days ago.

I think it was tied to the Firefox update, too, but I wasn't paying close attention until the past couple days. I'm pretty much just running as an idle game, selling and spontaneous edifice as my only active involvement at the moment.

• MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 168 ✭✭
    Data Point: I haven't installed the latest Firefox update yet and mine is still running normal speed in Firefox and slow in Chrome. So signs would point to the latest Firefox update as the culprit.
    Hm, any way to revert to the previous version of firefox? I'm not sure how, not very tech savvy.
    Problem persists in 58.0.2. Minimized, I'm getting around a third of the CPS of a full, active window.
  • JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    edited February 21
    This is happening on mine since my last ascension (a week ago). After casting SE mana used to recharge in about 40min. Now it's taking over 60. I run in FF normally and experience no issues but I've just imported a save code into Chrome to compare the rates of mana recharge in the two browsers.

[Edit: Bingo - nailed it. The bug is in FF.]
    Not so much Firefox only. Had 41 minutes until a timed event was to happen. Minimized CC to do other things. 41 minutes later, I still have 20 minutes until that timed event will happen. Latest version of Chrome and latest version of CC. Defocus OFF.
  • JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    edited March 8
    ibdb2u said:

Not so much Firefox only. Had 41 minutes until a timed event was to happen. Minimized CC to do other things. 41 minutes later, I still have 20 minutes until that timed event will happen. Latest version of Chrome and latest version of CC. Defocus OFF.

Agreed. It's started happening in Chrome over the past couple of days. Anyone got a solution for this yet?

[Edit: As advised, switching Defocus to seems to have sorted it for the time being.]
    Post edited by JezDavis on
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    ibdb2u said:

Chrome always slows down when minimized even if Defocus is off since it uses up so much ram. It's definitely a feature.
  • NamliamNamliam Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I tried out Discord for a few hours today. I left it running in FF. Everything slowed down in CC for me until I closed Discord. All is fine now.