Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Could someone work this problem out?

MetronomeFanaticMetronomeFanatic Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
Premise drawn from the disturbed maze that is my dreamworld: A brain enhancement that leads you into a state of unending "bored euphoria". This is a rough translation, shapes, concepts, and words are all deeply slurred when asleep, there's things I still almost remember but can't actually explain. The cause doesn't matter (and indeed borders on unexplained), it can be surgical, cybernetic, magical or even memetic, and has to be a true, objective improvement over their prior mental capacity. No empty hedonist garbage or chemical flooding. We should also assume that this person is of sound morality and has a reasonably high mental if not emotional health.

What I've figured out, arranged in order of most to least plausible:

Possibility 1: The upgrade simply enables one to ignore their own suffering as much as they want without erasing it through willpower.

Possibility 2: The individual can't not pay attention towards an internalized Truth, while somehow still able to live "normally". Quotation marks as misery is thoroughly normalized inside modern society.

Possibility 3: They have achieved complete awareness of all the misery and suffering that they can and will face thus being able to completely transcend the need for emotional worry.

Possibility 4: This person has figured something about the Truth of the universe so total that simply knowing it to be the Truth disconnects them from any finite misery. I don't think that this is remotely possible.

Comments

• ViniVini Member Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibility 4: This person has figured something about the Truth of the universe so total that simply knowing it to be the Truth disconnects them from any finite misery. I don't think that this is remotely possible.

What if the person led themselves to believe they learned the Truth?

• MetronomeFanaticMetronomeFanatic Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Vini said:

What if the person led themselves to believe they learned the Truth?

Well then that would go from possible to likely. Thing is, the context of the concept in question implied that its sole problem was ethical.