Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

RiRview - Life is Strange: Before the Storm

¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
SPOILER WARNING: Major spoilers for Before the Storm AND the first Life is Strange game ahead.

So, I just finished LiS: Before the Storm . . .

Loved the interactions between Rachel and Chloe. They're great. I fucking ship Amberprice now. I was certain that I wouldn't end up shipping Amberprice when I went into this, because I know it doesn't end well, and I took her relationship with Frank as meaning she definitely had no interest in her. Boy was I wrong.

The plot overall . . . not gonna lie. It all felt pointless in the end. Like, no matter what you do, since it's a prequel, you already know how it all ends, so even though they give you all these choices, you know it won't change a thing. Rachel still ends up disappearing, and Chloe still ends up getting into deeper shit than she's already in.

The writing was . . . certainly writing . . . not gonna lie. I wouldn't call it terrible, but I feel like good ol' DONTNOD should have handled this one. Deck9 didn't do awfully, but they really didn't do great. They did well enough for feels, though. Especially with characters Also, it was kinda cringy, but it's Life is Strange, so that seems authentic there.

What the fuck is up with Chloe seeing her dead dad all the time? In her dreams, and then once while she's awake. Is it ghosts? Is she just going crazy? NO explanation is given.

Eliot . . . Eliot is what Warren should have been for the first game. The stalker character that people have meme'd Warren into has literally been put into him, 100 percent. He acts very Warren-like during the first couple episodes(acting as an attempted love interest that the protagonist has no interest in) but then in the third episode, it reveals another side to him, where he's all stalker-y, and overprotective. And that was something that I felt like they should have done with Warren, because he just felt like his role could have been filled by almost anyone in the first game.

I'm not entirely sure I understand how the story ended there. So, Rachel's birth mom, Sera, has gotten better about her drug addiction for a whole year, then Big Bad Damon injects her once and suddenly she's addicted again and decides it's not a good idea to get into her daughter's life again? And her father is made out like he's at least okay at first, but then he all of a sudden is a bad guy who made a deal with Big Bad Damon to keep Sera from coming back? A minor character becomes a villain out of nowhere(though it's kinda what I was hoping for)?

Speaking of Damon . . . FUCK MATT DAMON IN THE ASS WITH HIS OWN KNIFE. Most characters are given some redeeming feature, but him? He's the Mark Jefferson of the prequel. He stabs Rachel, attempts to justify it, stabs Frank, too, somehow magically gets Sera addicted to drugs again, and this is just in this episode. In Episode 2, he also breaks the jock who I forget the name of's leg or Mikey's arm, depending on your actions, and is the boss of the shifty character Chloe gets into a fight with in Episode 1.

And, let's put something about Rachel here, too . . . I love how they managed to keep her as this ambiguous character throughout the whole thing. Does she actually like Chloe? If so, as a friend, or something more? Or was Eliot right, and she's been putting on another act this whole time? That's up to player interpretation. I prefer the idea that they're a couple until her death, and it was actually Frank who was being manipulated when she "cheated" on Chloe - she didn't tell Chloe for obvious reasons, but she was manipulating Frank to buy both of them more time to pay their big debt to him.

And then, the very end. After all the happy scenes with Chloe and Rachel, it shows . . . Jefferson's fucking dark room. With Rachel's phone, but she doesn't answer . . . and that is when I remembered; she dies. im not crying i just got some FUCK YOU in my eye

Overall review; Writing wasn't good, Amberprice is golden, shit gets confusing, life is hella weird, Eliot is Warren with plot relevance, Damon is a dick, I got sucker punched straight in the emotions by the ending, I give it a 6/10. Not gonna lie though, despite the quality of the game itself, I was still really happy to see Chloe back in action, and what Rachel is like.
YELLOW: The color of the Virus, the infection the Devil spreads.
RED: The color of the Demon and the Devil, the two unstable entities residing within.
BLUE: The color of the Broken, a man turned into the beast made real by his own hands.

Comments

• leunleun Member Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Too bad the game has Denuvo
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    leun said:

I had to google what Denuvo is just to know what your complaint is about and it seems to be not a huge deal? At least, not to a "don't install this" point.

Also, on Wikipedia, it's on the list of games formerly using Denuvo. So, uh, there's also that.
    YELLOW: The color of the Virus, the infection the Devil spreads.
    RED: The color of the Demon and the Devil, the two unstable entities residing within.
    BLUE: The color of the Broken, a man turned into the beast made real by his own hands.
  • leunleun Member Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

leun said:

I had to google what Denuvo is just to know what your complaint is about and it seems to be not a huge deal? At least, not to a "don't install this" point.

Also, on Wikipedia, it's on the list of games formerly using Denuvo. So, uh, there's also that.
    Denuvo is a drm that prevents modding, costs $100k, doesn't work, requires almost always online, will prevent your game from being playable if denuvo shut downs, is literally malware and more