Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Season Switcher charges for "natural" seasons? BS...

orobourosorobouros Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
Naturally-occurring Christmas season started today. And the Season Switcher buttons all got more expensive. That's kind of baloney, Orteil. Not cool. Hope that's a bug.

Comments

• dr_flashdr_flash Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Actually it's a feature. Every time you switch seasons, that costs twice what theprevious switch was. But unless you're really early in the game or switch seasons really often, the cost of switching seasons is no reason to worry at all.
  • orobourosorobouros Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I suppose it's a relatively rare set of circumstances, if any, in which the Season Switcher costs are even relevant, I grant you. It's just not fair that they're incremented because of the natural, date-based, automatic start of a particular Season, when the Season Switcher has not been used. It's quibbling, I'll grant. But I still can't think of a good reason why it should be like that.
    Switching a season costs 30 B with me now. That's about a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth nanosecond of production LOL
    How many switches do you actually need at all? About 5 or 6 every ascension? :)
    dr_flash said:

Switching a season costs 30 B with me now. That's about a trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth nanosecond of production LOL
    How many switches do you actually need at all? About 5 or 6 every ascension? :)

I admit it's a bit facetious. I was just arguing the principle of the thing. Doesn't seem fair, even if it would only really hurt a brand-new Legacy if a season hit at precisely the right time in the right Ascension and cookies were especially low at that point.
  • Marker9Marker9 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    @orobouros I agree with you. In the version I'm playing (v1.0466) in my Obliterate run, switching to Christmas is one of the few things you can do to make some active play worthwhile. And each time I do it, it costs twice what it did last time, so I am actually reaching the point where it will be very costly to do so. I am almost 1 year into the run. But I don't think my version behaved as yours did. I think it switched to Halloween and to Christmas for free, as it should.
    Marker9 said:

@orobouros I agree with you. In the version I'm playing (v1.0466) in my Obliterate run, switching to Christmas is one of the few things you can do to make some active play worthwhile. And each time I do it, it costs twice what it did last time, so I am actually reaching the point where it will be very costly to do so. I am almost 1 year into the run. But I don't think my version behaved as yours did. I think it switched to Halloween and to Christmas for free, as it should.

So my costs appear to have been resetting to default with each Ascension. How high do you have to get that it's not worthwhile Ascending after a whole year? I'd think you'd gain ridiculous CPS from the Prestige alone after even a month or two, even in the nonillions-per-second range, no? Or are your season switcher prices not resetting when you Ascend?

Just to be clear though, the effect I'm talking about is that I was on a fresh Ascension when "natural" Christmas started on the 15th. I had not used the Season Switcher yet at all on that Ascension. And the prices doubled when the holiday started, with the Switcher as yet completely unused.
    and why are you still playing v1.0466? We're on v2.0042 since like ages.
  • Marker9Marker9 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    dr_flash said:

and why are you still playing v1.0466? We're on v2.0042 since like ages.

I decided to *finish* v1.0466. I noticed that if I kept moving to the next version whenever one came out, that kept moving the goalposts, and perhaps there would be no end. Bigger numbers, by far. More interesting things added, yes. But no end. After I complete the achievements for v1.0466, I will probably quit Cookie Clicker. Back in this version, the term Ascension was not yet used, it is just resettting. The last achievement requires getting 1 Octillion cookies *in one session*, which is why I have not reset in over a year.

Anyway, I know that not only are natural seasons free in this version, but also their occurrence did not double the cost of the next one I wanted to buy. That may be a bug (or feature) in the ver 2.0042 code.