Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Backfire sux

dr_flashdr_flash Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
I really hate the way Grimoire works. Backfires happen far more than just 15 % of cases, more like 50. Lately I had three backfires in a row on Conjuring Baked Goods. 0,3375 % chance to that, so it is said :(

Also: I played Spontaneaous Edifice, It backfired on me, costing a Chancemaker. So I quickly refreshed and tried again. Backfires again, and again costing me a Chancemaker. I tried this 4 times in a row, it would backfire every single time AND cost me a Chancemaker every single time. Chance for that: ((15 in 100) * (1 in 15)^4 = 1 in 100,000,000. So I finally tried to cast another spell before trying Spont Edif again (knowing by now what is to be expected). I cast Force the Hand of Fate and guess what? It too backfired. I don't believe this. There's no random in backfires. Backfires are hard coded, and more frequent than 15 % of cases.

Comments

• ViniVini Member Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game generates a seed for whether a spell will succeed or backfire, and that seed remains unchanged during normal gameplay.

So not really. It's not exactly hardcoded, but rather that if your seed dictates that the next spell will backfire, it will, regardless of what spell you cast. (Except for Diminish Ineptitude and Gambler's Fever Dream, and the special condition, like casting FtHoF with GC on screen.)

• dr_flashdr_flash Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited December 5
    OK. So from your words, I understand: IF you want to cast a potentially very productive spell (Like FtHoF or SponEdif) and you find that it backfires, the best thing you can do is quickly reload and cast a spell of which you don't care if it backfires (e.g. Haggler's Charm) and hope for the better next time?
  • ViniVini Member Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. In short, if it backfired now, reloading will guarantee it backfires again (save for this or that condition, you get the gist), and vice versa.

• orobourosorobouros Member Posts: 12
    The spells all still backfire FAR more than 1.5 times out of 10, at any sample size. Up to 9 times out of 10 for spells un-buffed by Diminish Ineptitude, about 5 to 7 times out of 10 for DI itself, and about 4 times in 10 for spells buffed by DI (which should backfire 1 time in 50, yeah right, OK, sure Orteil, whatever you say).

There's also DEFINITELY some sneaky code behind Golden Cookie buffs. One buff seems to boost all backfire chances right up to 90% at least. I have NEVER been able to get Diminish Ineptitude to work with 2 active buffs, even one time, a 100% backfire rate. So much for ever using Conjure Baked Goods when it would do more good. Heck, at this rate I can barely cast it at all. Guarantee a backfire by not using DI, or wait three or four tries before DI actually works itself. And still get backfires at least 1 in 5 even after all that...

Explain this, please. Grimoire = Broken junk that needs an overhaul.
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Sounds like the current seed is broken. I'd ascend and start over. Reloading keeps the same seed. Ascending gives you a new one.
  • orobourosorobouros Member Posts: 12
    Maddie said:

Sounds like the current seed is broken. I'd ascend and start over. Reloading keeps the same seed. Ascending gives you a new one.

My searches of these forums and Reddit about this problem seem to indicate that a broken seed results in 100% backfires all the time. That's not what I'm seeing (unless you count only casting during 2 or more simultaneous Golden Cookie buffs). The spells do go off, every once in a blue moon. They just don't ever seem to drop below 50% backfire, no matter how small or large a sample I write down.

I'm also on my 4th Ascension this Legacy and while I see some variation (as in "Hey, it worked twice in a row for once!), it's consistently far worse than 15% every time.
  • dr_flashdr_flash Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Maddie said:

I think maybe there's some undocumented feature that says "Every Ascension has a 15 % chance to break your seed" LOL