Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Is active play dead?

JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 216 ✭✭
I'm at 20 billion prestige with c.5 billion more to add (nearly three weeks' worth) next ascension. Selling a Chancemaker and casting Spontaneous Edifice is netting me approx. 24 million prestige (gradually reducing) every 40min or so. I carry out this ritual a couple of times in the morning and 8-10 more times in the evening. It doesn't seem any amount of active play would have anywhere near the impact on prestige as this slow, steady, pretty much inactive technique of gradual incrementing.

So is that it? Is this the game from now on, barring the odd sugar lump upgrade?

Comments

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully there'll be some new asymmetric upgrades (like the shakeup to synergies that I suggested a while ago to rebalance things) and impactful minigames coming soon.

But as I've said I think there won't be any new upgrade--at least not one making it easier to get sugar lumps--until a year after sugar lumps were introduced.
  • dr_flashdr_flash Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    isn't the combo of Frenzy + Building Special + Force the hand of fate and hope you get a click frenzy from it, a pretty powerful booster? That's active play at least :)
  • JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 216 ✭✭
    Yup, but even a combo like that doesn't seem to achieve much at this stage. Bearing in mind selling a Chancemaker every forty minutes achieves 35 duodecillion, even if there were a rare combo that could achieve something similar, it seems it's just not worth the wait and the hassle of active play.
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 785 ✭✭✭
    I remember when I used to occasionally play actively. It seems a long time since I had the urge to do that, apart from the short time at the start of each run until I reach Golden Switch stage. Ah, memory.
    Hmm. Maybe I should try that for a while :)
  • DinkydauDinkydau Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    How does this work? You don't get any prestige level from sellling buildings as far as I know.
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
    You do once your Bank equals your Baked. At that point, every building you sell adds to both. So you run your buildings (except for the high-value ones -- some folks only do Chancemakers, I start when I have 400 Antimatter Condensers and fewer than 400 or Prisms and Chancemakers) up to 400. Then cast SE as often as you can. It gives you free high-value buildings. Sell the 400th building. You'll get the additional cookies for it, added to your bank. This closes the gap between "banked" and "baked" and eventually, they'll be equal. At that point, selling a building adds to the "baked" total as well as the "banked" and it adds prestige points.

Think of it as selling things you were given as a gift. You're getting money for something that didn't cost you anything.
    Plus, when you go to sell them back at the end of your run, it does add to how much you'll get from the Chocolate egg.
  • Thez33krThez33kr Member Posts: 6
    With this my cookies hit the Tredecillion today, and it got kinda boring doing this. Theres not much else to do now. So be careful if you wanna do this, because its just as OP said...
    Thez33kr said:

So be careful if you wanna do this, because its just as OP said...

But my point is also that there seem to be no other options. With this strategy I'm hittig a tredecillion every three days - weeks, even months faster than it would get there with CPS alone. At present the only reason to play is for the sugar cubes.

Well, 19 hours of waiting for every sugar cube can hardly be considered "Active play" I guess?
  • orobourosorobouros Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Hell, I'm only at 50 million Prestige or so and I'm starting to feel enormous pressure to just flip the Golden Switch at the next clot and walk away for a few weeks. I can't imagine having Billions of Prestige; at this rate that'll take months, during which I'll earn next to nothing in terms of new upgrades or achieves, day after day after day.

Even a Chancemaker is only adding less than quarter of a percent to my CPS. I'm more than 30 of them shy of 300, and the next 10 cost more than 1/5 my Total Baked (All Time).
    And selling buildings down to a flat level to use Spontaneous Edifice selecively cuts enough into my CPS to really show (10s of Octillions per second). Even if I could cast it without a more than 50% real-world chance of backfiring, which I won't be able to do via Diminish Ineptitude for at least another month's worth of Sugar Lumps and painfully grinding to what, 400 towers? 500?

Even then I'm looking at a full week of cookies and reindeer before I can buy Kitten Assistants to the Regional Manager, much longer if I idle. The only Acheivements I don't have besides Tricentennial involve things like Golden Sugar Lumps and Shiny Wrinklers, which are obviously never going to happen if the single Meaty lump I've seen in over a month of daily background play is any indication... oh, and Level 10 buildings at almost 2 months apiece no matter what you do. Yikes.

I'd Ascend, but I'm down to less than 10 million Prestige per day, and need hundreds of millions to buy the remaining Heavenly Upgrades or get more than a 50% boost when I get back to my current level.

Feels like the game does lose it's incremental work-to-shave-time-off-the-next-plateau-while-you're-grinding fun and turn into just plain grind-and-wait at the end. I didn't expect the fun to drop off this much, this quickly. Unless I'm doing something wrong... There seemed like so many possible strategies once you Ascended once, and so few here at the end.
    I'd suggest active play is the way for you right now then. Golden switch off, Holobore out of the slot and give it a couple of hours. Savescum once or twice, use sugar lumps to look ahead to see what Force the Hand of Fate will give you and wait for a nice combination of Frenzy, a building buff and a Click Frenzy. Those three could give you a very serious boost. If you play the Godzamok trick as well (I never have for some reason) you could hit really silly numbers.
    JezDavis said:

use sugar lumps to look ahead to see what Force the Hand of Fate will give you .

How does that work??

edited December 2017
    dr_flash said:

JezDavis said:

use sugar lumps to look ahead to see what Force the Hand of Fate will give you .

How does that work??

Open a duplicate of the game in a new browser window and click FtHoF. Then click on a sugar lump to recharge your mana and click FtHoF again. Do this as many times as you like or until you've got no more sugar lumps left. If something nice turns up (e.g. Click Frenzy (x777) or a decent building buff or - even better - *both*) then you've got the option of closing that window, switching back to the main game window, turning off the Golden Switch, waiting for a Frenzy (x7) and then running the sequence for real - but obviously only if it's worth the lost sugar lumps.

There were times when I was active playing that I'd do this, forfeit 2-3 sugar lumps but pull in 8-10 Duodecillion which boosted prestige so much I was able to ascend a day or so later having doubled my prestige. However, that tactic no longer seems to work for me as my CPS - even with the multipliers that approach gives - doesn't come close to the fact that selling the 400th Chancemaker renders 35 DuoDec every time.
    Post edited by JezDavis on
    Wow, just wow. That's like advanced science :D Hadn't thought of that option yet.
  • QokoQoko Member Posts: 287 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    JezDavis said:

I'm at 20 billion prestige with c.5 billion more to add (nearly three weeks' worth) next ascension. Selling a Chancemaker and casting Spontaneous Edifice is netting me approx. 24 million prestige (gradually reducing) every 40min or so. I carry out this ritual a couple of times in the morning and 8-10 more times in the evening. It doesn't seem any amount of active play would have anywhere near the impact on prestige as this slow, steady, pretty much inactive technique of gradual incrementing.

So is that it? Is this the game from now on, barring the odd sugar lump upgrade?

I feel like that if you're at this point, what's the point in getting cookies altogether? So in a sense, yes, then active play is dead beyond this point, but regardless of the used strategy to get cookies. You have all production based achievements. I think this is the exact reason why upgrades cap at 300 per building, achievements at 350 per building and Spontaneous Edifice at 400 per building. Far beyond 400 the cookie production is done.

Imho Orteil made a mistake with the building level achievements, as getting 825 Lumps to get all buildings to 10 is just an idle drag. In your case, I would get any remaining shadow achievements (including 'Endless cycle' if you wish), start idling with Rigidel and just cba cookies.
  • orobourosorobouros Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Ugh. I'm already caught up and nowhere near 20 billion (or 1 billion) Prestige. It used to be I could, with active play of course, get to 200%, or 100% at the bare minimum Cookie Monster projected bonus income after reset, within 1 to 3 days depending on how lucky I was.

Now after 3 grueling days I'm not even at 60% bonus if I were to Ascend now. During naturally-prolonged Christmas no less, with all the reindeer gifts to my CPS! I feel like, without doing all this balls-to-the-wall reload-in-another-tab to game the spell seeds crap I'm just going to inch along in the less-than-100-Nonillion-CPS for months and months before I get to 400 of everything, or even 400 of all but Chancemakers where everyone else seems to say they "slow down". I feel pretty damned slow now, compared to prior progress. Barring the magical Frenzy + Building Frenzy + Elder Frenzy, which I've only seen once in almost 2 months, this Legacy is pretty much just going to sit there generating Nonillions and not being able to afford a damned thing for a very long time, at this rate.

I managed to get the first Sugar Lump Heavenly Upgrade at 100 million. At this rate it'll be a solid week of idling before I can get the second... and, I dunno, years before I can get the third?

It makes the game feel unfinished, actually incomplete, not just open-ended. Just my opinion.
    Reset bonus income percentage gradually slows down over time. It gets harder and harder to reach every level. By now I'm usually happy to ascend with anywhere above 2,5 % bonus income (I'm at 2,4 B prestige now).
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Not to mention that when you progress your Prestige level this high it starts to lose any real utility, as you likely have all upgrades and production-based achievements.

The only reason I ascend any more is to grind towards the 100 Ascensions achievement, ascending every 5-10 minutes once I get at least 1 Prestige level.
  • QokoQoko Member Posts: 287 ✭✭
    edited January 5

Not to mention that when you progress your Prestige level this high it starts to lose any real utility, as you likely have all upgrades and production-based achievements.

The only reason I ascend any more is to grind towards the 100 Ascensions achievement, ascending every 5-10 minutes once I get at least 1 Prestige level.

That can actually be sped up quite significantly by the following means:
    1. Octillion Fingers as permanent upgrade.
    2. Buy the hc upgrades asap.
    3. Focus solely on building Cursors, one Temple and the last three buildings.
    4. Buy all Christmas upgrades
    5. Get up to and set Breath of Milk as Krumblor buff.
    6. Put Mokalsium, Hobolore and Jeremy in the Pantheon.
    7. Now rush to 1.99hc buy buying upgrades for the last three buildings.
    8. To get as close as possible to 2hc, sell all Chancemakers near the end.
    9. Ascend, then rush to the second hc asap and Ascend again.
    Depending on your hc level I was getting close to 2hc every 90 seconds or so, averaging two Ascensions every 2 to 2.5 minutes. About two hours later you have the 100 Ascensions and can just start a regular run.
  • blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips. It still takes a while because my Prestige is a bit over 15bil but that sounds pretty efficient.
  • ViceVersaViceVersa Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Well my playstyle is probably not something most people here would like - I don't use cheats but use a self-made autoclicker. Still the mechanic I use would probably be great for vanilla players too, it's a bit tryhard though.

Basically, make use of pantheon and spells. For Pantheon I use Godzamok in diamond and Mokalsium in ruby, jade doesn't matter that much. The thing is exploiting how the game seed works for spells. First, I'd "scout" which effects the GC's from Hand of fate will generate in another tab, also which will be 100% backfires without Dinimish ineptitude. I have an excel file with 4 columns for effects, including backfires because you want those Elder frenzies too. What I didn't see anyone here mention (though I didn't read that much) is current season also affects those effects - for example, no season, business day and x-mas is one set of effects, switch to Easter and they will be completely different (I usually use business day/easter for different effects). Then I look for high concentration of good stackable effects like CF+EF+as many building specials as i can get. You'll probably have to use sugar lumps to get them all but it surely seems worth it. I use Hagglers Charm to "skip" spells which give nothing good with Hand of fate. I get to the point where the combo starts with Hagglers charms, throw in Diminish ineptitude for good measure beforehand, get me a Frenzy effect from regular golden cookie, save and copy the code, and proceed by getting the uber combo. Oh, and you can use golden switch and Godzamok from selling buildings to multiply this even more.

By stacking a number of effects you can get absolutely preposterous amounts of cookies, my last one was F+CF+EF+DF(took a while to get this to spawn from a regular golden cookie)+4(!)building specials+golden switch+a few hundred sold buildings, cost me 6 lumps, but darn IDK what to do with all these cookies now.

IDK if I managed to explain it all so anyone can understand it lol, I have problems explaining complicated stuff in English XD Also don't know if this would be considered vanilla even without the autoclicker, heh.
    ViceVersa said:

By stacking a number of effects you can get absolutely preposterous amounts of cookies

Could I ask what 'preposterous' means in this context? I ask because I get 35 duodec every time I sell my 400th Chancemaker and I spend most of my time with my cookies in the tredecillions. Is it worth me studying your approach further?

edited February 25
    Well from that combo I got about 6E57 (6*10^57 ) cookies... but I'm using an autoclicker for 150-200 clicks/second XD And I had about 550+ of every building (all upgrades of course) and 95 trillion prestige. Vast majority of it comes in 10 seconds while Godzamok is active after selling lame buildings (I sell just all cursors and farms to not waste precious seconds).

EDIT: another piece of perspective, after it I went from 95 trillion prestige to 1850 trillion
    WTF?

How...the...f**k did you get to 95 trillion Prestige? Scratch that - it's Godzamok. I've tried that in the past but I never could seem to get it to work. Must've been timing it wrong or something.
    Well Godzamok is certainly part of it but not really huge (I read in the notes it was nerfed but I don't know how it was before nerf). The real fun part is getting Click frenzy+Elder Frenzy+Dragonflight all going at once, among other things.
    Click Frenzy + Dragonflight? Wasn't that nerfed so that they don't stack any more?
    They stack, it's just trickier to get them together now