Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Memory leak

devburkedevburke Member Posts: 5
Hi!

I've noticed that Cookie Clicker has a really nasty memory leak, in the current version. I'm using Safari on OS X 10.13, everything newest version, on a 2015 MacBook Air, if any of that matters. I have all the "may affect performance" options turned off, and don't have Cookie Monster or any other enhancements active.

I've seen it climb up to more than 4GB of memory. I tried leaving it running overnight, and the browser window crashed because the memory climbed too high. I've tried saving the game and removing all local storage and data saved by Cookie Clicker then reloading it, no dice.

Right now I've got it running in the background, it's been maybe 10 or 15 minutes. I've only interacted enough to click a couple golden cookies. It's currently sitting at 1.16...no, just jumped to 1.37 GB of RAM.

There's not a ton going on, I'm only up to 408m CpS, so my computer should be able to handle it just fine.

If I can't leave it idling, I'm never gonna be able to click all these cookies!

Comments

• devburkedevburke Member Posts: 5
    Already jumped to 1.71 GB.
    And up to 2.47 GB.
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    devburke said:

Already jumped to 1.71 GB.

devburke said:

And up to 2.47 GB.

Please do not triple post.

Apart from that, this does seem like an important bug.
    You're right, my apologies.
    Hope this isn't spamming the thread now, but as an update on the bug report, the memory leak appears to be related to the video ads. I don't use an adblocker, Orteil's gotta pay the hosting bills somehow (I'm sure these are just a small part), but to test it, I used the web inspector in Safari and removed them and there's been no leak at all ever since.

So the problem is that the ads being used are crap.
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should also look into that, because I also use Safari..HOLY CRAP!
    Current Status : Normal

"What in God's name is happening dare I ask?"-me
    "Do you ever just skLat?"-QuentinPlaysMC

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've noticed that with bad ads before.
  • BillaboBillabo Member, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I used to have an exception in AdBlock for cookie clicker, but when that happened, I went back to blocking them.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154