Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

If you could chose one thing that wouldn't be against the law but is now, what would it be?

ManiklasManiklas Member Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭
edited October 3 in Off Topic
Don't hate eachother for your choices, opinions are different.

BTW; We're talking U.S. laws because they're the closest to standardized.

Don't forget, think before you chose, you could cause chaos!
Is god a cookie, or is the cookie a god?
The world may never know
"You have now, officially broken the game,"-Maniklas
"Okay, ANYWAY, yes, I am a magician,"-RunninginReverse
""""My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse" - Purge" - Agubhagu
Adopt one today! Adopt one today!

If you could chose one thing that wouldn't be against the law but is now, what would it be? 17 votes

killing
5%
idc 1 vote
taking drugs
11%
Jarr2003dpareja 2 votes
trading (now) illegal things (drugs, weapons etc.)
5%
Uiomancant 1 vote
being married to multiple people
23%
¤RunninginReverse¤Viniiceklaussilentsomersault 4 votes
personal freedom (free speech is one thing, personal freedom is another)
11%
Billaboleun 2 votes
driving (with no driver's license)
5%
Lava_Entity 1 vote
stealing
5%
Brainstorm 1 vote
eutanasia
23%
GouchnoxCarmoryadam_antichristIan5 4 votes
using fake identities in official arrangements
5%
Maniklas 1 vote
being a beggar
0%

Comments

• idcidc Member Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    killing
    Life would be more fun if murder was legal.
    BEETLE there is! While the ROOMS here not!
  • ViniVini Member Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either polygamy or euthanasia. Probably the former because it sounds like the least dangerous and/or controversial.

• GouchnoxGouchnox Member, Friendly, Cool, Conversationalist Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    eutanasia
    see y'all bitches i'm outta here
    image Packs: (CC ~ MC ~ BoI ~ DNF) image
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    taking drugs
    Vini said:

Either polygamy or euthanasia. Probably the former because it sounds like the least dangerous and/or controversial.

I went for drugs because I think they should be regulated to keep the most dangerous stuff away (no fentanyl-laced heroin, for instance), but I think polygamy would be a legal nightmare, just from the point of view of contract law.
  • ViniVini Member Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpareja said:

I went for drugs because I think they should be regulated to keep the most dangerous stuff away (no fentanyl-laced heroin, for instance), but I think polygamy would be a legal nightmare, just from the point of view of contract law.

b-but... muh harem...

Ahem, yes, I do see where you're coming from, but drugs being illegal doesn't stop people from doing 'em. State regulation can only get so far, and if people want to take the worst of the worst, a law isn't going to stop them.

And I don't exactly support polygamy, but I stand by my point that out of all the items in the poll, it has the least potential for damage.

• BillaboBillabo Member, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3
    Other: Nudity in a public place.
    That's something that's not such a crime in places outside of North America, but you did say we're talking about US laws.

EDIT: Oh, maybe that falls under "Personal Freedom." I'll choose that.
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    driving (with no driver's license)
    because I FREAKING LOVE CARS.
    Current Status : deteriorating

"What in God's name is happening dare I ask?"-me
    "Do you ever just skLat?"-QuentinPlaysMC

• ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, this seems like the least damaging option on the poll, and, I mean, it can even be beneficial. I know poly-amorous relationships are a thing, so they get the benefit of being able to all get married. Like dpareja said, though, it might be a legal nightmare in some cases. ((Though, err, I don't really know since I have no knowledge at all about legal stuff.))
    taking drugs
    Vini said:

dpareja said:

b-but... muh harem...

Ahem, yes, I do see where you're coming from, but drugs being illegal doesn't stop people from doing 'em. State regulation can only get so far, and if people want to take the worst of the worst, a law isn't going to stop them.

And I don't exactly support polygamy, but I stand by my point that out of all the items in the poll, it has the least potential for damage.
    Drugs being illegal doesn't stop people from using them... but it does create an environment in which you have no idea if the stuff you're getting is safe (fentanyl-laced heroin, meth-laced marijuana). Plus it means people are going to jail when they've been completely nonviolent (unless you consider ferociously downing bags of Cheetos to be violent) and are just, as one of my favourite YouTube hosts puts it, "tweaking their consciousnesses."

As for polygamy, I've no issue if you want to live with multiple people and have an open relationship and all that. It's purely from a legal perspective that I raise a red flag. From the perspective of the government, marriage is a contract that bestows certain rights and responsibilities. We've got that pretty well worked out when that contract covers two people, but what happens when we extend that?

Here's two situations:

1. Persons A and B are married. Person B wants to marry person C, but person A does not. What do you do?

2. Persons A, B, and C are married. Person A wants to divorce person C, but person B does not. What do you do?
  • ¤RunninginReverse¤¤RunninginReverse¤ Member, Friendly Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpareja said:

Here's two situations:

1. Persons A and B are married. Person B wants to marry person C, but person A does not. What do you do?

2. Persons A, B, and C are married. Person A wants to divorce person C, but person B does not. What do you do?

I'd say, for either, make it to where it won't go through unless . . . well, let's take example 1. There are two options; option 1, person A allows person B to get married to person C, but person A does not have to be married to person C for person B to be married to person C. Person A is okay with person B being married with person C. Option 2, person A does not allow person B to get married to person C, possibly because person B wouldn't accept person A not getting married to person C as well.

And, example 2 is the same way; option 1, person B allows person A to divorce person C, but person B does not divorce person C. Person A is fine with person B not divorcing person C. Option 2, person B does not allow person A to divorce person C, possibly because person A wouldn't accept person B not divorcing them as well.

Basically, it's the same except their partner has to say "okay, it's fine if you do that, even if I'm not gonna do the same thing" and the other partner has to be okay with them not doing the same thing or it's probably not going to work out nearly as well. Now, there is a bunch of legal nuance involved that I'm not going into, but that's because I'm not a fucking lawyer in the first place and don't really know how marriage and divorce function.
    edited October 4
    taking drugs
    Okay, now consider what happens with inheritances after death and division of property in divorces. If A, B, and C are all married to each other, but A divorces C while B remains married to C... how is property divided?

If there were kids from the time all three were married to each other, who gets custody and visitation? Does it matter which were the biological parents? What if the kid was adopted? What if the kid was only the biological child of one of them (from another relationship, or sperm donation, or what have you), but for all his or her life has known all of A, B, and C as parents?

Basically, it's enough of a potential legal quagmire that, while I'm fine with people having whatever complicated living and sleeping arrangements they like*, I think it's a fair argument against legalizing polygamy just to point at the contractual nightmare it could become.

*It's on the books in my country that it's illegal to have anal sex if more than two people are in the room. Not making that up. Also, unless you're married, the age of consent is higher than it is for other forms of intercourse. (And if you look at s. 155, that's another thing where--as much as I might personally find the notion revolting--I think it shouldn't be illegal. If we're talking about consenting, mutually independent adults, do what you wanna do.)
  • UiomancantUiomancant Member, Cool, Flagger Posts: 9,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trading (now) illegal things (drugs, weapons etc.)
    I'm pretty sure this counts as piracy

• leunleun Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    dpareja said:

Vini said:

Portugal legalised a few drugs and now people take the more dangerous ones.
    dpareja said:

Vini said:

dpareja said:

b-but... muh harem...

Drugs being illegal doesn't stop people from using them... but it does create an environment in which you have no idea if the stuff you're getting is safe (fentanyl-laced heroin, meth-laced marijuana). Plus it means people are going to jail when they've been completely nonviolent (unless you consider ferociously downing bags of Cheetos to be violent) and are just, as one of my favourite YouTube hosts puts it, "tweaking their consciousnesses."

Plenty of non violent crimes put you in jail lol
    drugs do more than tweaking your consciousness

• BrainstormBrainstorm Member Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭
    stealing
    Being able to punch a partner in school until he is fainted and full of blood

I’m joking by the way, he’d definitely go for my balls then
    "Calm your caps, bro." -Brainstorm

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    Dashnet RPG Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/6301gzzx
  • ManiklasManiklas Member Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭
    If it was me, I would go for your brain

with my knife

Or maybe I'll just kidnap you and slowly cut your body parts away
    The world may never know
    """"My game will be playable on all Samsung Microwaves with firmware update 5.3.2 and up." - Audiot" - RunningInReverse" - Purge" - Agubhagu
    stealing
    Maniklas said:

If it was me, I would go for your brain

with my knife

Or maybe I'll just kidnap you and slowly cut your body parts away

Or that, but after he goes for my balls to stun me.

the following link is the best thing that could happen to you: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussions/tagged/brainstormgame

Currently managing a large-based forum game.. DashNet RPG! Play it now: http://forum.dashnet.org/discussion/15882/dashnet-rpg-dashnets-greatest-forum-game-of-all-time
    edited October 9
    @dpareja wait, so minor marriage is allowed? And intercourse?

I'm neither against or for, I'm just surprised.

Sorry for necromancy, Anywhere else would be off topic
    The world may never know
    edited October 9
    taking drugs
    Maniklas said:

@dpareja wait, so minor marriage is allowed? And intercourse?

I'm neither against or for, I'm just surprised.

Sorry for necromancy, Anywhere else would be off topic

Age for marriage is 16 generally (per the federal Civil Marriage Act), but provinces can set further restrictions. (For instance, a brief look tells me that Alberta sets the age at 18, with 16 being allowed only with parental or judicial consent.) This is because the federal government defines marriage and divorce, but the provinces determine how marriage can be solemnized in that province. (This is because of differing cultural traditions and dominant religions in the various provinces at the time of Confederation--it would have been much messier if the federal government had to list all the ways you could validly contract your marriage.)

Age of consent for sex is 16 generally (which is around where plenty of other jurisdictions have it; for instance, 31 US states also have 16 as their age). There are close-in-age exemptions for 14 (up to five years older) and 12 (up to two years older) so that precocious curiosity and puppy love aren't criminalized while still not allowing people of those ages to be taken advantage of by people significantly older than they. Note that you can't legally consent to sex with somebody in a position of authority over you, even once you've hit 16--teachers, for example. This is a matter of criminal law and thus solely under the jurisdiction of the federal government.
    stealing
    The Purge

edited October 11
    dpareja said:

Le post

That certainly seems legit, I'm surprised though as I've always grown up believing canada was pretty close to America when it comes to laws directly.

Here age of consent for sex is 15 and no younger.
    Marriage is not allowed until you are 18 or older.
    Buying alcohol stronger than light beer isn't allowed until 21. (it's more advanced than this but I don't have time to go into detail)

EDIT:typo
    Post edited by Maniklas on
    The world may never know
  • BillaboBillabo Member, Friendly, Conversationalist Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Maniklas said:

Here age of consent for sex is 15 and no younger no older.

Damn, that's a small window for people to have sex! How does your country stay populated?
    (heh, jk, I know what you meant)
    Fire Emblem: Fates castle address
    08619-69569
    56318-03154
    @Billabo Nvm fixed it
    The world may never know
  • iceklausiceklaus Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    more people to bake cookies for me
    the ones who dare have lives woth dying for