Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Which Permanent Upgrades?

JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 164 ✭✭
edited September 28 in General Discussion
Just after I last ascended it occurred that I hadn't considered the optimum Permanent Upgrades since v.2.0042 landed. Mine are aligned as though Prisms were still the highest building and before Gods and Spells even came on the scene.

Has anybody given any thought to this? What's the ideal spread at present?

Comments

• Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭
    My first slot is usually the best Cursor upgrade I have. It's really good for getting back up to where you were in terms of CPS right after an ascension.
    Current Status : Normal

"What in God's name is happening dare I ask?"-me
    "Do you ever just skLat?"-QuentinPlaysMC

• JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Agreed. Right now I'm running

I - Octillion Fingers
    II - Reverse Shadows
    III - Omelette
    IV - Get Lucky
    V - Kitten experts

which, thinking about it, is ridiculous. Sticking with that format I should be looking at

I - Octillion Fingers
    II - Bunnypedes
    III - Omelette
    IV - Get Lucky
    V - Kitten assistants to the regional manager

and even then Get Lucky is only really any use for active play. At the moment I'm running predominantly passively so I could do with an alternate spread to take that into account. Even Crystal mirrors in slot IV would be useful in getting through the early stages a few minutes faster.
  • Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭
    I play pretty actively, so Get Lucky would work for my setup.

I haven't quite gotten to Octillion Fingers, but what you have is pretty much what my setup either that, or what it would be.
    Current Status : Normal

"What in God's name is happening dare I ask?"-me
    "Do you ever just skLat?"-QuentinPlaysMC

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    I'm on (can't recall the order off the top) Wrinklerspawn, Kitten assistants to the regional manager, Lavender biscuit, Omelette, and Armythril mouse. My prestige is high enough that I get just about everything else pretty quickly. (Random drops are irksome, of course, but that's what Omelette, Selebrak and Mind Over Matter are for.)
  • MaddieMaddie Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I've got only ones that have whole-game effects, so Wrinklerspawn, Century and Golden Goose eggs, Kitten Assistants to the Regional Manager, and Octillion Fingers. Like dpareja, my prestige is high enough that with those in the permanent upgrade slots, I'm starting out at quadrillions of CPS with just the 10 cursors and 5 Grandmas from Starter Set and Starter Kitchens. That means I can buy Christmas all the way up to Final Claus in a matter of less than a minute or so (that requires spending something like 22 quadrillion, total), and buy all of the Valentine cookies in a couple minutes more. This last ascension, it took me something under 15 minutes to fully upgrade Krumblor and get both auras running as well.
    No Omelette?
  • bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    edited September 30
    Definitely octillion fingers (or whatever is the highest fingers you can afford) for the first one.

After that, I think a lot depends on how you play the game and what stage you're at. I think any additional kitten gives a bigger CpS increase than even bunnypedes. Once you get to that stage, though, where you are getting all the upgrades, it hardly matters because you'll get them all in the first few minutes of the run anyway At that point it becomes worth substituting things like Omelette and other rare eggs, which in the normal course of events you only get by chance and they don't come any faster as your production increases.
    edited September 30
    dpareja: No, Omelet is a convenience. All my slots are used for ongoing production boosters. I play actively for a couple hours to start a new ascension, then idle once I've got all my buildings at least to 300. So far, I pretty regularly get a Cookie Storm or Cookie Chain during that active time and switch over to Easter during it. If it's a Storm, my past record indicates I'll get most or all of the eggs from it. Otherwise, once I've got the G'pocalypse started, I get most of my eggs from the wrinklers, and I've got the big three rare eggs loaded into Permanent slots anyway, so I don't have to wonder how long it's going to take to get them. They're running from the first second of play. So all Omelet really affects is how soon I get Cookie, Chocolate, Faberge and "egg". To me, that's not worth giving up a game-long CPS booster.

ETA: I just ascended to see what the bonus I get from those five Permanent upgrades alone is: I started out with 2,343 Billion CPS from the 10 cursors and 5 Grandmothers from Starter Kit and Starter Kitchen. No Heavenly Chip bonus activated. (The five G;mas are accounting for a total of 46 of those each second.)
    Post edited by Maddie on
    I'd rather have the Lavender biscuit than the Century egg; the biscuit is 10% for the entire run, while the Century egg only gets there after 100 days, and early in the run it gives almost nothing, so I'm not losing much by having to wait for it to drop.

I should probably take out the mouse upgrade in favour of Octillion fingers, though; I only had it there for my tracked run that I posted, so that I wouldn't start with any asymmetric upgrades.
    I don't have the Lavender Biscuit because I know I'll get to that stage within the first hour or so. This ascension I got my 300th Chancemaker and the Lavender Biscuit at something like 1:10 in. All the eggs came from a Cookie Storm at 0:58.

Is there a graph or chart of how the Century Egg's multiplier accues somewhere? Because even a fraction of a percent per second is a nice addition at the Septillions/Octillions/Nonillions CPS level; but mostly I like not having to wait for it, or remember from game to game how long it's been operating.
    The formula for the Century egg is on the wiki, but here's the code:

//the boost increases a little every day, with diminishing returns up to +10% on the 100th day
    var day=Math.floor((Date.now()-Game.startDate)/1000/10)*10/60/60/24;
    day=Math.min(day,100);
    eggMult*=1+(1-Math.pow(1-day/100,3))*0.1;

It doesn't matter when you buy the Century egg; what matters is when your run started.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    I gave up on all the eggs since they are so easy to get back after a reset. Wrinkler spaawn is only useful in the slot if you take a while to get it back, and I usually get it back pretty soon after the wrinklers appear so that's a wasted slot. Faberge egg is the only worthwhile one since you need it in those first few minutes of the game when buying upgrades, and there aren't any other upgrades after I fill the other four slots that I can't buy easily anyway. For the others I have lavender bikkie, the max for prism and chancemaker, and the two highest kittens since they take a little while to afford.

And seriously does omlette even do anything? I've never noticed it being at all useful.

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    ^^ Omelette supposedly makes other eggs appear faster, which I suspect is the reason it's popular for an upgrade slot.

Basically the argument about easter egg upgrades vs other upgrades boils down to how far advanced in the game you are. At my current prestige I get all the building upgrades within the first hour or so, certainly within the first two hours, even bunnypedes and lavender biscuit, while the eggs drop purely by chance and I won't usually get the rare eggs in that time.

Regarding century egg: the formula is given above in dpareja's post. If you graph this function, you see that it rises rapidly at the beginning then levels out. Although it takes 100 days to reach the full 10% CpS boost, it only takes 20 days to reach 5%.
  • adam_antichristadam_antichrist Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    I know it's supposed to make the egs drop more frequently, but I've ever found a noticeable effect

• blank3tm0nst3rblank3tm0nst3r Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    At only 61mil prestige, I can see that it really doesn't matter too much which permanent upgrades I get. I can only imagine at 1bil prestige or higher it matters even less. At this level I can get all but the final kitten upgrade and lavender biscuit after an hour at most of active play, so I just get ones for convenience.

Octillion Fingers
    Lucky Day
    Serendipity
    Get Lucky
    Omelette

Frenzies or Click Frenzies are so useful for getting back to where I was in the last run early on, so the more GCs the better. This gives an early enough boost to CpS and egg-findability that makes the recovery period very fast in my experience.

Using this setup requires a bit of active play, but can easily switched to an idle style after a short while.