Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

My beta production estimate is out by about 2%

bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
edited August 17 in General Discussion
I would have put this down to an error in my spreadsheet, except that for the live game, both the old and new version, my spreadsheet continues to calculate the CpS precisely, correct to at least 4 significant digits. On the beta, however, my estimate is low by about 2%.

The error is in the multiplier itself. This overall CpS multiplier is made up of seven components, however at the very beginning of the run, before purchasing anything, the error is still there. At this point there are only two components to the overall multiplier: the boost from kittens in the permanent upgrade slots, and the boost from the two heavenly cookie upgrades, Heavenly Cookies and Wrinkly Cookies, which each give 10%. None of the other multipliers are operational. Prestige upgrade does not apply, because the Heavenly Chip Secret, Heavenly Cookie Stand etc are not yet purchased. Hence it seems to imply that the error is in the calculation of one of these two multipliers, but I cannot for the life of me track the error down. Moreover, as I said, the calculations are perfect for the live game, which uses exactly the same spreadsheet as the beta game, leading me to think there is a difference in the actual beta game code from the live game code.

Has anyone else noticed this? A difference of 2% is not a game-changer, but it's still either an error in the code or an error in my spreadsheet, and I've discovered from working in IT that it's a good idea not to ignore small errors, because they can be a symptom of something more seriously wrong with the code. OK, no planes are going to fall out of the sky if Cookie Clicker falls over, it's not going to kill anyone, but it would still be nice to know the reason for the discrepancy.

Comments

• Wookie_FlickerWookie_Flicker Member Posts: 1
    Maybe your kitten bonus is wrong because you registered the wrong number of (nonshadow) achievements in your spreadsheet. Remember that the game tells you the total amount of achievements unlocked, including shadow achievements, which you shouldn't take into account because they don't give you milk.

• bob_32_116bob_32_116 Member Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    edited August 18
    ^^ Thanks. I have taken those into account, but your comment may have been useful.

At present I have 296 standard achievements and 3 shadow achievements, giving a total of 299. I manually counted the 296 on the screen, and that's definitely how many I have. The interesting thing though is that if I increase the number by one in my spreadsheet, the estimated and actual CpS now match exactly. In other words, the game tells me that I have 296 standard achievements, but it's behaving as if I had 297.

Mystery unsolved. At some point I plan to start a new virgin beta game, and if I keep a close watch on the screen output I may be able to pinpoint the exact source of the error.
  • ChocolateMachineChocolateMachine Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Is it always off by 2%, or is that just at the start of a run? If you buy more kittens, does the discrepancy get worse?
    ^^ see my post immediately preceding yours. I believe it's something to do with the achievement count. I'll know for sure when I do my beta restart.
  • ChocolateMachineChocolateMachine Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Right, but that would be a way to test your idea. If it's an incorrect achievement count, then that would cause a bigger discrepancy the more kittens you have, right?

Right, but that would be a way to test your idea. If it's an incorrect achievement count, then that would cause a bigger discrepancy the more kittens you have, right?

Yes it would. I have several kittens in permanent upgrade slots, hence the CpS discrepany would be there at the very beginning of the run, but I am pretty sure the discrepancy has increased over the run. That's something I intend to check after my next ascension.

• mikehendimikehendi Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Looks like a bug to me, I've had a similar issue twice:

First one, I needed to add one more achievement than I had (maybe one of the shadow achevements accidentally count). After I did it, back to 6+ digits accuracy

Second one (occured later), I needed to add a "+1% cookie", (bringing the total from 8 to 9 +1% cookies before seasonal upgrades). I didn't count if the cookie got added to the game or not, all I know is again 6+digits accuracy after I made this fix
  • dparejadpareja Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    If I had to guess, given that this bug is only popping up in the beta, I'd think that it has to do with Four-leaf cookie. It was switched to be a Shadow Achievement, but maybe Orteil didn't set that properly in the code for the milk.
    dpareja said:

If I had to guess, given that this bug is only popping up in the beta, I'd think that it has to do with Four-leaf cookie. It was switched to be a Shadow Achievement, but maybe Orteil didn't set that properly in the code for the milk.

Could be. I have it as a shadow achievement in both the live and the beta, so if that's the culprit then it's been fixed for the live game.

• mikehendimikehendi Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    If it's a shadow achievement, it has to be either True neverclick, Just plain lucky, or the shiny wrinkler one (those are the only ones I've got in the beta)

The mystery +1% has been found, I forgot to adjust for the 3rd +1% heavenly chip effectiveness (the one that appears only when your HC ends in 777.777)
    edited August 24
    mikehendi said:

If it's a shadow achievement, it has to be either True neverclick, Just plain lucky, or the shiny wrinkler one (those are the only ones I've got in the beta)

I don't have the Shiny Wrinkler achievement in the beta, so that can probably be ruled out as the culprit.

True Neverclick is not that hard to get; I'm not sure why that one should be a shadow achievement. There are several of the standard achievements that I think are much harder to get than True Neverclick.
  • JezDavisJezDavis Member Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Talking of shadow achievements, I never got round to getting Speed baking III. Might have to give that a go next incarnation. That's if the RSI holds up.