Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the forum rules before posting.

Check if you are posting in the correct category.

The Off Topic section is not meant for discussing Cookie Clicker.

Maybe sugar lumps should be unlocked by a heavenly upgrade

ChocolateMachineChocolateMachine Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, and maybe it's too late anyway, but maybe the sugar lumps and minigames should begin by purchasing a cheap heavenly upgrade, rather than by ascending once.

Pros:
This is more similar to how the other late game additions work, such as the dragon and the seasons.
There wouldn't be an incentive to ascend way too early to start using the minigames. Right now there's an argument to be made for ascending at one trillion cookies, which really breaks the flow of the game since the bingo center costs one quadrillion.
It might be a bit less confusing to have each new game element introduced separately. Ascend and buy Legacy to unlock the prestige system, buy How to bake your dragon to unlock the dragon, buy Season switcher to unlock the seasons, and buy another heavenly upgrade to unlock the sugar lumps system.

Cons:
It currently doesn't work that way, and everyone who already has a bunch of sugar lumps wouldn't want to lose them because they didn't buy an upgrade that didn't exist. There would have to be a way to keep existing progress if this change is made.
It might take a bit longer to start collecting sugar lumps.

This was probably considered and decided against already, so there's probably a reason not to do it.

Comments

• Lava_EntityLava_Entity Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    Well, the LEAST they could do is nerf the time it takes for them to ripen. To get all buildings to lvl 10 would take at least a year and a half.
    Current Status : Ω

"What in God's name is happening dare I ask?"

• dparejadpareja Member Posts: 144 ✭✭
    I remember when I came back to this game after a year or so, and in the interim CC had gone from v. 1.0466 to v. 2.002. I had the season switcher from 1.0466 (where it was a regular upgrade that only appeared once you had a certain number of heavenly chips) in my savegame, and so I was still able to switch seasons in the continuation, right up until I ascended, didn't yet know what was up, and didn't buy the Season Switcher. (That got fixed an ascension later.)

So if things like sugar lumps and minigames get unlocked via heavenly upgrades in some future version, I imagine the same sort of grandfathering will apply.
  • JdudeJdude Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I agree that it feels weird to be able to ascend before being able to buy the bingo center, although the prestige system may have to change a lot in order to move it forward in the game flow.

Yeah, sugar lumps should be an early heavenly upgrade like the offline production and the cookie dragon; ascending brings a lot of new elements into the mix and the sugar lumps would fit in better there, rather than being available from the start. (I think they are, anyway). It would also make a better place for the current lump-based heavenly upgrades, rather than branching from the Wrinkly Cookie which is a bit weird. Also, since the sugar lump upgrades are the 3 most expensive ones, it could open an opportunity for cheaper and less powerful upgrades too.
    Sugar lumps are available once you ascend. You get one upon your first ascension, and then they start growing. Note that if you do a Born Again run (say to get Neverclick and Hardcore), you don't get any of the benefits of your sugar lumps.
    edited August 20
    Ah, thanks for telling me. Still, if it's going to appear after the first ascension, then it should be through a cheap heavenly upgrade rather than appearing randomly.

EDIT: To be completely honest though, I just want more cheap heavenly upgrades to spend my chips on; I have around 7,500 chips spare, but the cheapest upgrade that I haven't got yet is the permanent upgrade slot III, which costs 30,000.
    They don't appear randomly. They grow on a regular cycle.
    No I'm talking about when they start appearing, it should be through an upgrade rather than as soon as you ascend.
    edited August 21
    Jdude said:

No I'm talking about when they start appearing, it should be through an upgrade rather than as soon as you ascend.

I don't think that's particularly random as a starting time, though, and makes sense given the flavour behind them (that you're getting them because of your past accomplishments).

A heavenly upgrade I would like to see, though, is one that gives you some benefit for having unspent sugar lumps. (Not as much a benefit as you can get by spending them, but maybe something like a 1% or 0.5% or 0.1% boost to clicking power for each unspent sugar lump? FWIW, I never spend my sugar lumps on refilling my magic meter or my pantheon swaps; I only use them to upgrade buildings.)
    Yeah that's a good idea for an upgrade.

The thing is, if you ascend and don't buy anything, then nothing really changes on the next playthrough, so why aren't sugar lumps the same?
    Well, your CpS gets a big boost, so you can accumulate prestige levels and heavenly chips faster on your next run, which means you'll have more heavenly chips toward purchasing whatever upgrades come out the next time more are added.
    edited August 22
    I just had another idea for a sugar lump heavenly upgrade; one similar to the five-finger discount, but the more farms you have, the faster sugar lumps grow. I'm not sure about exact numbers, maybe 100 farms = 15 minutes less?

I mean come on, if you want to get all buildings to max level, even with Rigidel and the current heavenly upgrades, it would easily take about 1.5 years...
  • Adeick8Adeick8 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    In my opinion, I think that heavenly chips should be more simple. For instance, you need 30,000 heavenly chips to get that one upgrade?

I think it should be harder to get heavenly chips but each one is more useful once you get it. Maybe the most expensive upgrade is 100 heavenly chips.

3 problems:
    It ruins ironic numbers, such as 777 for angelic upgrades.

I'm not sure how it would transition current players into this new one. I suppose they could divide their current heavenly chips by a number?

The Prestige system gets a large nerf.

However, this could be rectified by certain heavenly upgrades that cost 1 chip and are unlocked once your prestige level reaches a specific #. These upgrades would say: Each prestige point earns you +5% CpS, +10% CpS, etc. So basically, 1 prestige level at 1% CpS is +1%CpS, 20 prestige levels at 2% would be 40%, 50 levels at 5% would be 250%, 200 levels at 10% would be 2000% CpS.

That being said, 200 levels is a LOT harder to get to than it was previously. These comparisons were made up of the top of my head and definitely need to be balanced.

These achievements could be called"Because Math", "Differential Equations", and "Theory of Correctness" , or something math/numbers related, and framed so that you are manipulating math to give you more cookies.

And to bring this conversation back, yes, I think sugar lumps should have their own branch.
    The First Upgrade should be "sugar tree" or some sort of something that could attract/grow sugar lumps.

Other upgrades branching off from this could include the ability to grow two sugar lumps at once (not a bifurcated, grow two normal ones at the same time), grow them faster, pick them when mature with a better chance, etc.

I think that the farm minigame should help grow sugar lumps. Perhaps it could use fertilizer to speed up growth, prune it so that you sacrifice this sugar lump to make next ones grow faster, etc.